I don't want to depress anyone, but

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
(for the majority) Tomorrow night is going to be the last time you'll cycle home in daylight until March.

:?

(although to be fair - I prefer to cycle in the dark. I have uber bright lights and get more room given to me when I use them in anger)
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    (for the majority) Tomorrow night is going to be the last time you'll cycle home in daylight until March.

(although to be fair - I prefer to cycle in the dark. I have uber bright lights and get more room given to me when I use them in anger)

Well thankyou very bloody much. Plus it will be raining.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Thanks for the reminder :oops:

Been cycling in the dark anyway for the last 2 weeks on night shift anyway ....
    FCN 3/5/9
  • I leave home at 5:30am and get back around 7:15pm. Daylight is something I've heard about...
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    ... but light in the morning ....
    exercise.png
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Harveytile wrote:
    I leave home at 5:30am and get back around 7:15pm. Daylight is something I've heard about...

:shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

I haven't cycled home in full daylight for over a month; what time do you finish work then?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    edited October 2010
    I've needed lights for the past 3 weeks and have had to just order another one ala RSP, as I fear my current set up won't let me navigate the unlit sections very well..... on a positive note, it will soon be Christmas
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    rjsterry wrote:

I haven't cycled home in full daylight for over a month; what time do you finish work then?

Don't you leave for work at about midday though? :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    dhope wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Don't you leave for work at about midday though? :wink:

Midday? Pfft. Bit early for him. He's only just on his first coffee then.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Extenuating circumstances this morning - had to look after the littl'un while Mrs RJS went to an appointment. Not usually that late, and on tuesday, it was barely light when I set off, so there! :P
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

if you work part time... been in the dark for at least the last week
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I bike back after 8pm anyway so I have had to use lights for ages, doesn't really bother me
  • I start work at 8 and finish at 8(ish) so I've been in the dark for the past month or so anyway. Doesn't bother me as much as I thought it might.

I also learnt to drive at this time of year a while back, and the day I took my test was only the 3rd or 4th time I'd ever driven in full daylight. It confused me at first because I couldn't just look out for head/tail lights the whole time.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    Shift work FTW.

Either riding in at 0445 and back at 1415, or riding in at 1245 and back at 2200. Either way, I've always got a ride in the daylight and a ride in the dark. Apart from a week or so in June where it's all in daylight...
    Rules are for fools.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Git.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Git.

Who?
    Rules are for fools.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Hasn't been light on way home for weeks. Makes little difference in London to be honest
  • this week i'm 9-5 but i'm mostly shifted over so i get one dark commute and one light.

Got some serious lights so to be honest the dark tends to temper folk.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I now have one constant and one flasher up front, and the same at the back along with two aldi reflective flouro bands with the multiple leds in them around the compression straps on my camelback on either side of it, both on flash, I think I am as visible as I can be without becoming a xmas tree on wheels...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    It's starting to bother me a bit.

Morning is fine as I leave early, it's dark and cold but the roads are quieter.

Evening though, yuck, everyone is in a rush and I'm starting to get jittery whenever a car arrives at a junction. I just fear they are gonna pull out. bleh.

I wouldn't mind if they pull up to a halt slowly, but they seem to arrive fast, then break hard, then always overshoot a little. another bleh.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I was listening to a Costing The Earth on Radio 4 today and they said this may be the last year that we use GMT as a strong coalition (seems they're all the rage these days) has got together to propose Great Britain go over to Double British Summer Time, also known as Central European time (to wind up the eurosceptics).

As I can remember it, the pros are:
    It would mean better use of the available daylight during winter.
    Less energy used to light homes and offices.
    Less accidents (often caused by people driving half asleep pre-dawn).

And the cons:
    North of Manchester they will have dark rush hours both in the morning and the evening in winter.
    No country would use GMT (assuming Ireland and Portugal follow suit which for some reason they are expected to).
    Farmers would work crazy hours.

I think that was it.

IMHO:
    Northerners, serves you right for living up north. This is just another thing to make it grim. It would mean that Londoners would have light morning commutes and lighter evening commutes and we're the ones that count.
    Who really cares if GMT is used by any country? As long as its a stable datum that everyone can use.
    Farmers would work the same number of hours, its just that they will be getting up at 4AM (rather than 5) do the same day's work, and then be in bed at 10PM rather than 11.

If it came to a referendum, I know which way I'd vote.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    @EKE, the converse applies as well; now I live in Surrey instead of Northumberland I notice how early it gets dark in the summer down south.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Asprilla wrote:
    @EKE, the converse applies as well; now I live in Surrey instead of Northumberland I notice how early it gets dark in the summer down south.

+1
    When I go back visiting my family in Norn Iron in the summer, it's light till at around 11 :-) I love it!

Otoh, I hate dark mornings/evenings. I'm looking forward to Dec 21st, after that I always feel like things are getting better...
    Misguided Idealist
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Asprilla wrote:

+1
    When I go back visiting my family in Norn Iron in the summer, it's light till at around 11 :-) I love it!

Very handy for that 10:30PM commute home.

Must be a nightmare getting young kids to sleep when its still light that late.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    HA HA WFH tomorrow HA HA
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

+1

Very handy for that 10:30PM commute home.

Must be a nightmare getting young kids to sleep when its still light that late.

Nope, but very good for enjoying the beer garden, or your own.

Getting kids to sleep is easy with black out curtains, which I use in the south for putting my baby down at 7.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    HA HA WFH tomorrow HA HA

Double-Ha Ha, I WFH every day, except when I'm onsite visiting customers :-)
    My commute these days is into town around lunchtime, or whenever it's daylight and not raining, to get more food...
    Misguided Idealist
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I was listening to a Costing The Earth on Radio 4 today and they said this may be the last year that we use GMT as a strong coalition (seems they're all the rage these days) has got together to propose Great Britain go over to Double British Summer Time, also known as Central European time (to wind up the eurosceptics).

As I can remember it, the pros are:
    It would mean better use of the available daylight during winter.
    Less accidents (often caused by people driving half asleep pre-dawn).

And the cons:
    North of Manchester they will have dark rush hours both in the morning and the evening in winter.
    No country would use GMT (assuming Ireland and Portugal follow suit which for some reason they are expected to).
    Farmers would work crazy hours.

I think that was it.

IMHO:
    Northerners, serves you right for living up north. This is just another thing to make it grim. It would mean that Londoners would have light morning commutes and lighter evening commutes and we're the ones that count.
    Who really cares if GMT is used by any country? As long as its a stable datum that everyone can use.
    Farmers would work the same number of hours, its just that they will be getting up at 4AM (rather than 5) do the same day's work, and then be in bed at 10PM rather than 11.

If it came to a referendum, I know which way I'd vote.

No, you'd have darker mornings.

Lighter evenings.

I'd like it, as I tend to work 7am-3:30pm so the mornings would still be dark, but the afternoon would be less grim.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276

So true. Huzzah for the Exposure Red Eye. I get lots of room once it's too dark to see anything of me but the lights. I'm sure following motorists think "WTF is that? A moped?" followed by "...hmm, bit slow for a moped" :(
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    How would that work? One or the other, maybe, but not both.
    Unless changing the clocks makes us sleep more?