2011 Fox 32 TALAS...

williambowland
williambowland Posts: 131
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
Anyone have any experiences with the 2011 32 TALAS fork?

I am looking at the 110-140 RLC QR15 version.

Always been against the idea of travel adjustment, having the impression that it'd make the fork notchy for some reason. Pure prejudice - no evidence! However, now I might be interested (for a Soul build) if the performance is right.

Is this fork smooth and responsive in both travel modes?
2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    TA forks are never as plush as a none-travel adjust fork as you need many more seals so more stiction.

However there isn't a huge gap and if you need the TA then you need it! A lot of the longer travel bikes climb pretty well at 140mm. Haven't ridden a soul but I don't really need TA on either the steel or carbon inbred. It is however pretty useful for really tough technical climbs.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    As much as it pains me to say it, you will be better off with a U-turn fork on a Soul.

The Soul is a completely different bike (good different) at different travel settings and TALAS just doesn't work as well as a U-turn fork in the lower travel settings
  • Cheers gents...

@ride_whenever Yeah... I am looking for the best of both worlds - good climbing/agility at shorter travel and more decending confidence at long travel. So you reckon travel adjust on a longish travel hardtail is, in general, a good thing, right?

@peter413 Struggling to find an Air U-Turn fork with the right travel (100ish - 140). I don't know if I fancy the extra weight of a coil U-Turn - especially if I move to a steel frame. Can you point me in the right direction? You also mention that the Soul is "good different" :D at different travel settings - so you would say travel adjustment is a good thing on a Soul to make the most of it, yeah?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    They all seem to be 150mm now, very strange.

But if you can find some, I would say some U-turn forks like Rev's are the ideal fork for a Soul
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You may well be able to space a 150mm u-turn down to 140mm internally.

I certainly know you can turn a 140mm pike into a 80-125 when a service is messed up and you fit the wrong internals...