Kinross Sportive

glasgowbhoy
glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
Good early season Sportive in lovely Fife countryside.

Only £20 entry at the moment.

3 routes.

'Black' route for me to test the hill climbing legs early season.

http://www.sportive-kinross.co.uk/

Comments

• I did the second forty five of the black route two weeks ago, I hope they get it well signposted, I missed three turnings and had to go back. On the whole an interesting route, though. I hope it does well and I'll certainly be entering.
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Yep - quite fancy this. Might scout out a couple of the climbs before entering though :-)
  • holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    Mmmmmmmmmm, think about this.
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Well, I had a wee scouting run earlier today. Did 74km from Kinross to Dunning, Knockhill and back.

Well done to the organisers for finding some lovely back lanes. There was very little traffic, the busiest sections being the A91 at Muckhart and the Knockhill road.

Definitely a climbers route. The ascents were lengthy and pretty even, the descents were almost uniformly narrow, twisty and covered in gravel. In fact, almost the whole section from Milnathort over to Path of Condie had been fairly recently resurfaced - i.e. some wet tar put down and chips thrown on top. I was actually struggling for traction on some of the small, sharp climbs! 6 months and a winter should see it settle in a bit.

I seemed to have a headwind on the ups and the downs today!

There had better be some very good marshalling on those descents, or I can foresee several accidents once there are a few riders in groups.

I reckon I'll give the Sportive a miss, but I do fancy trying the route in reverse.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    That looks very interesting. I've ridden the stretch to and from Dunning and there are some nasty little climbs. And coming from Newburgh originally, I could always stop off at me Mum's for a cuppa :wink:
    Though they missed some good climbing by going round Lindores Loch when they could have gone the back roads to Pitcairlie and 'Muchty.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • Hello, I'm one of the organisers of Sportive Kinross from Kinross Cycling Club.

Interesting reading all the comments they are very helpful for the event planning as this is our first venture. We do some FCA timetrials but its our first Sportive. Here are some of the stats we have gathered. The Black Route is certainly much tougher than the etape. It is 107% of the distance and 170% of the height gain! The Red is comparable to the etape at 91% of the distance, 87% of the height gain. Whilst the Red it is slightly shorter with a little less height gain it contains two proper climbs rather than the one featured in the etape. So if your wanting a pre-etape dress rehearsal the Red is the best the route. The Blue is a nice short tester, again with two proper climbs, 56% of the distance 57% the height gain of the etape, so again it's a nice training run for the etape, an early season tester or even a good intro to sportive riding.

Signage wise it will be very well signed, as we appreciate it is easy to get lost on back roads in the countryside. We will have plenty of Marshals and two feed stations. We have a great start point with showers, toilets and changing rooms. Entry wise we are doing very well so far at over 200 riders. It's only £20 until 1st December, £60/team of three, both go up by £5.00 after 1st December. We are working with Childrens Hospice Association Scotland (www.chas.org.uk) as the charity partner (£5/head goes to them) and expect to raise well over £2,000 for CHAS from the event with entry fees and donations. Plus with a little luck put some money into the club coffers!

Hope to see some of you on the day. :)
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Looks good and will probably enter. I'm familiar with the roads there so theres no surprises but with a good crowd on the road it will be an excellent day out. Anybody not familiar with the route are in for a treat.
    Brian B.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Just entered for the red route. Looking forward to this.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    That's me signed up too - not many spaces left either! It's on my doorstep so more than happy to support the first (hopefully of many) Kinross Sportive!
    Just hope for dry weather and wish you guys great success :D
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • I signed up as soon as I was able to. My wifes from Dundee, we'll be there during easter I looked at the routes and they looked fab, looks more difficult than etape caledonia, so looking forward to this.
  • Signed up for this yesterday.I'm quite local to the route and will be giving it a go in the next few weeks.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    SOLD OUT.

Well done to those organising this. 1st year and very good uptake.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    SOLD OUT.

Well done to those organising this. 1st year and very good uptake.

Well done buts its my fault I did not enter quickly enough as I thought I would have plenty of time. Ah well next time then. :lol:
    Brian B.
  • holmeboy
    im on reserve fo the black route for this!

+1

:oops:
  • holmeboy
    Dam! Got an E-mail a week ago saying I was in if I payed in 24 hours. Back to bottom of waiting list. Dam!
  • Also got email today saying I was in. Well done to Kinross CC for getting the numbers increased. :D

Ned Flanders: “You were cycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were cycling to a lake.”
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Got my email yesterday and I managed to sign up whilst travelling by train to London (aint mobile broadband great).

Black route here I come...... I think :shock: