What is a PF-30 BB?

jnr_seahorse
jnr_seahorse Posts: 50
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm looking at buying a new Specialized frame, and the discription says it is PF-30 compatable. I'm confused by all the new standards that there seem to be now. :?

I understand that this means its press-fit cartridge bearings into the frame. Firstly are these easy to buy and where from? Second question is to do with chainset compatability. I might splash out on the new XTR when its avaible do I need to choose something specific or will the standard version fit?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    PF BB30 needs a 30mm axle or a conversin kit to work with a 22mm crankset.
    IIRC Sram are the only PF BB30 makers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • So....
    Truvativ make press fit PF-30 bottom bracket. These are only compatable with BB30 cranksets which SRAM and others make. Shimano currently don't but you can buy an adaptor.

I think I've got it now thanks!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    What frame is it?

Specialized frames have always been OSBB, which is like BB30, but with a different shell width, so hardly anything other than their own cranks would fit. Shimano do adapters (although the availability's been dire!), to use any normal outboard bearing crank.

It would be sensible if they've changed the standard to use any BB30 cranks, but I wasn't aware they have.
  • nicklouse
    here is a pdf of the specs so you can check when the frame comes

http://www.sramnordic.com/f/f1/Bottom-b ... ersion.pdf
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • njee20
    The Spesh frames were none of those though, and I wasn't aware they'd changed for 2011, although they may well have done.

They have always been like BB30 loose bearing, but with a wider shell. Worth checking for sure.
  • nicklouse
    what is the frame? as reading through some so Spechs specs I would be waiting till it arrives to check the measurements.
  • Its a new S-Works Stumpy HT.

Quote from the website:-
    "FACT 11m carbon, FACT IS construction, carbon PF-30 BB, tapered HT, hollow carbon dropouts, replaceable alloy derailleur hanger"
  • nicklouse
    should be the Sram PF BB30 fitting. but it seems that lower versions use the GXP push fit.

wait till it comes.
  • njee20
    Aye, it does appear they've standardised it luckily, it's been impossible to get hold of the adapters this year, so folk who've knackered their BBs have just have to shelve their bike, not great!
  • Anyone know if the Spesh cranks are standard BB30?
  • njee20
    Certainly haven't been up until now, longer axle, but if the 2011 frames are Press Fit 30 presumably the cranks have changed too. They're big money though, and availability is terrible. They're made by Lightning, you can buy direct without the Spesh decals.