Northwave Celsius/Fahrenheit GTX vs Arctic GTX

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello all

I've been mulling over the overboot/proper boot for winter conundrum for some weeks and, since Evans opened up in Leeds with Northwave Celcius boots in stock, I decided to try them out and bought them today (using price match :)).

As soon as I got back to the office, I discovered there is an Arctic version - obviously a bit more insulated. My problem is poor toe circulation so most of me is commonly toasty warm (too toasty) whilst my toes freeze. Eg this evening, I cycled home nearly two hours with bare legs quite happily but my toes were slightly cold despite Craft toe cosy's over my Northwave Vertigos and merino lined Sealskins socks.

So, has anyone tried both? The Arctics are pricier but I'll happily exchange the standard ones and pay the difference if it saves my toes! Never really seem to have a problem with getting too hot in the feet.
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• japsy
    japsy Posts: 78
    I thought the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Winter are designed for SPDs and the farenheits are look/spd-sl.
  • rolf_f
    japsy wrote:
    I thought the Northwave Celsius Arctic GTX Winter are designed for SPDs and the farenheits are look/spd-sl.

The Arctics are warmer than the standard ones but not sure if available as Fahrenheit. The Celcius and Fahrenheit are the same aside from the soles so that doesn't matter for the comparison.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    My problem is poor toe circulation so most of me is commonly toasty warm (too toasty) whilst my toes freeze. Eg this evening, I cycled home nearly two hours with bare legs quite happily but my toes were slightly cold despite Craft toe cosy's over my Northwave Vertigos and merino lined Sealskins socks.

Sounds like your problem is more that you're wearing too little to keep your core warm. If you'd have worn proper tights, you'd probably have had warmer feet. Think about it, the cold restricts the blood flow in your legs, which cuts it off to your feet. No amount of topical insulation will fix the cold feet if no warm blood is reaching them.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Rolf F wrote:
    My problem is poor toe circulation so most of me is commonly toasty warm (too toasty) whilst my toes freeze. Eg this evening, I cycled home nearly two hours with bare legs quite happily but my toes were slightly cold despite Craft toe cosy's over my Northwave Vertigos and merino lined Sealskins socks.

Sounds like your problem is more that you're wearing too little to keep your core warm. If you'd have worn proper tights, you'd probably have had warmer feet. Think about it, the cold restricts the blood flow in your legs, which cuts it off to your feet. No amount of topical insulation will fix the cold feet if no warm blood is reaching them.

I'm not sure about that. I suffer the same effect that Rolf describes when I'm not wearing Sealskins over my normal socks. Even with Roubaix tights over my bibs, and two layers on underneath a windproof jacket. Toes get painfully cold...
  • rolf_f
    My core was toasty - definitely! I did, on the cold morning, wear Shutt VR Roubaixs (far too warm!) over normal bib shorts. On top, aside from partial coverage of two layers of Bib, I had an Aldi Merino under a softshell. Core frying, toes cold. I only ditched the leg warmers the other evening because it really was too warm for them.

I've decided to stick with the standard boots. The Arctic cost £20 extra so, for that, I can get a pair of overshoes for hopefully the really cold days. Need some warmer socks than the sealskins though.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Need some warmer socks than the sealskins though.

Ski socks are great for warmth and you can layer them with other socks underneath as well
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Rolf F wrote:
    My core was toasty - definitely! I did, on the cold morning, wear Shutt VR Roubaixs (far too warm!) over normal bib shorts. On top, aside from partial coverage of two layers of Bib, I had an Aldi Merino under a softshell. Core frying, toes cold. I only ditched the leg warmers the other evening because it really was too warm for them.

I've decided to stick with the standard boots. The Arctic cost £20 extra so, for that, I can get a pair of overshoes for hopefully the really cold days. Need some warmer socks than the sealskins though.

Good luck finding overshoes that will fit over the Northwave boots! FWIW I have just bought the Celsius. So far, toasty warm, but then it's not been cold and I don't usually suffer from cold feet! Very impressed so far, and hopefully they will last ages.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,698
    I don't know what your pedaling style is like Rolf F, but part of the reason why poor circulation leading to cold feet is such a problem when cycling is that you don't really use your toes that much, especially in rigid cycling shoes. I have the same issue, and can get cold feet in a centrally heated office, but if I'm walking in hiking boots in sub-zero temperatures, I never get cold feet. That's partly due to the boots + wooly walking socks (and less wind chill), but also, the walking keeps the blood flowing to your toes. I'm not sure how, but if there's a way you can modify your pedaling technique to involve moving your toes, that might help.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    I'm not sure how, but if there's a way you can modify your pedaling technique to involve moving your toes, that might help.

For some reason I am now really wanting to invent some pedals with 5 little hamster wheel type constructions attached for my toes to work out on :lol:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    This will be the 3rd winter I have had my Celsius.

They're ok but not great. Last winter there were plenty of days I had cold feet with them and found that sealskiz thermal sock, normal shoes and castelli neo overshoes offered only slightly less warmth.

Not to good in the wet either as water gets in through the tops very quick.