Bummer. No riding for 6 months... Can I get a turbo trainer?

V5ade
V5ade Posts: 192
edited October 2010 in MTB general
:cry:
Following http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12736265&highlight=
I've had the MRI and now got the results.... Completely blown away as the doc says I have arthritis in my left shoulder :shock:
Apparently I would have got symptoms eventually, but getting knocked of back in June has accelerated the problem.
They're going to cut both ends of the affected bone so they are straight again, and shave of some of the bone that's rubbing on a tendon :? This means that I'mm be off the bike for up to 6 months :cry:
I must admit it's a real shock as I think of arthritis as an old biddies problem (saying that, I was 39 this month..).
Anyway, could I get a turbo trainer for one of my bikes? I've currently got a 2010 Stumpjumper Expert, 2007 Rockhopper that's converted to single speed.
Ade (really miserable).
Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)

Comments

• good news - yes you can ! although having experienced that surgery myself you may want to wait a while.... any of your bikes will do as long as you shell out for a trainer *specific tyre then you wont have any probs at all as most turbos will have settings for how hard you want to spin.(get one with a remote cable to save getting on and off) plug in your head phones, bung a fan on to cool you down and spin away ........although after my last shoulder injury it was a while before I could reach the bars i managed to sit upright even with a sling on and spin in moderate comfort.

* trainer tyres make less bits on the floor and quieter = happier wife/partner.......
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Ouch.

Chin up there matey, it will all work out in the end.
    We'll see things they'll never see...
    Fury
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope you make a quick recovery.

With regards to turbos though, i'd reccomend having a go with one before you splash the cash. I had a similar thought when i broke my collar bone, bought a trainer and then realised how boring i found it. This may not be the case for you, but i couldn't stick spinning and moving no where. Trainer got used about 7 times and that was it.

I hope you have a quick recovery and are back on the trails soon though dude.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • I've got another vote for possibly skipping the trainer. I bought a really good one and it gets used alot but I hate it because it's totally boring to just sit and stare at the same thing, or at the t.v. and spin away for a while.

It does get used, but I don't enjoy it that much.
  • anton1r
    anton1r Posts: 272
    Torres wrote:
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope you make a quick recovery.

With regards to turbos though, i'd reccomend having a go with one before you splash the cash. I had a similar thought when i broke my collar bone, bought a trainer and then realised how boring i found it. This may not be the case for you, but i couldn't stick spinning and moving no where. Trainer got used about 7 times and that was it.

I hope you have a quick recovery and are back on the trails soon though dude.

+1 for everything Torres here says.
    I broke my hand a couple months back and decided it was a good time to break out my missus old turbo trainer. I found it boring as hell, used it about half a dozen times and then folded it up and put it back in the garage. Even with specific plans set and my Ipod on I still found it boring. I doubt a TV would have helped anything too.

If I were you I'd be asking the doc/physio about other forms of exercise.

Here's hoping for a quick recovery.
    "I have a plan, a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox." (from the Blackadder TV series)
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Sorry to hear about your problems mate, hope it gets sorted soon!

I too am thinking about getting a trainer, but because I want to be able to do 30 min's of pedalling hear and there without getting wrapped up for winter riding each time. I think what everybody else has said is very valid, basically any indoor exercise (on an exercise machine!) is going to be extremely boring... :roll:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I found it was easier to train on a turbo using a heart rate monitor - gives you a set range to work in rather than a spin where you don't know any better. Still boring but not half as bad when you can measure results and see improvements...