Knees in cold weather

the_lone_wolf
the_lone_wolf Posts: 38
edited November 2010 in Health, fitness & training
This'll be my first winter really into the MTB and I've heard people saying that cycling in shorts when it's cold is bad for your knees...

Now, I'm well aware of the problems with cold, but once I'm warmed up my knees are hot and good to go, no discomfort, no problems afterwards. I wear shorts all the time because my legs never get cold, even when the temperature is down my problem is getting so hot I sweat a lot rather than keeping the cold out

So... Am I damaging my joints wearing shorts pretty much all year round or is it one of those cycling myths...

Comments

• BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I use knee warmers on slightly colder days then I can take them of when warm,also heat rub or sports rub helps on knees.But on really cold days I either use 3/4 length bibs or full length.
  • When it's a bit nippy then my knees ache, but there isn't much chance of permanent damage.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    09phillt wrote:
    When it's a bit nippy then my knees ache, but there isn't much chance of permanent damage.
    Not according to my physio. She warned me that doing something like running or MTBing with cold knees can lead to problems. In particular if you already have an injured knee.
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    I have had both knees reconstructed and my physio recommends keeping the knees warm as much as poss. 3/4 bibs are the way to go - you don't cook up in them too much. Slap a pair of baggies on top if you're mtbing. The Endura FS260 Pro 3/4s are excellent, although I'm sure there are others that would do fine.