Formula Hubs - how do you strip them?

Jenny Taylia
Jenny Taylia Posts: 269
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I've gort a Formula front hub that takes the 15mm Axle and I want t oconvert it to std QR.

If I could split the hub down, I know a man who could Turn a set of spacers for me.

Before I get the chisel out, is there a "Correct" way to do this?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you dont need to strip it down. just get him to make a suitable 15mm axle. that has two "noses" of 9mm that extend about 4mm each side of the 15mm bit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    you dont need to strip it down. just get him to make a suitable 15mm axle. that has two "noses" of 9mm that extend about 4mm each side of the 15mm bit.

That sounds like a plan, thanks for the idea.

obviously, it would have to be hollow, to take the skewer.

Have you done / seen this done before?

If you've got time, could you pm me with some more details, drawings maybe? then I can explain to him, just what is needed (He's very retired now but has still got all the tooling but lacks some of the imagination, now he's 78!)

Fanx again
  • nicklouse
    if he has any sense he will know what to do if you take the wheel the fork and a Qr skewer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    here is a 12mm to 10mm nutted axle converter to give you an idea.

prod_17009.jpg

threaded bits dont need to be and they dont need to be that long ( see a standard Qr hub) and need to be hollow.

Hub O.L.D. (width) is the same for the 15mm and the Qr. 100mm O.L.D.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    The biggest problem I see is drilling for the QR skewer. Well, it may be difficult because the thin drill could wander and it would need to be fairly long even if drilled from both sides.

Maybe sleeving an existing qr shaft would be more feasible?
    Giant Reign X1
  • nicklouse
    another option is just a 100mm long tube with an OD of 15mm and an ID of 9mm and then use a 9mm Qr as made by DT and others.