Mudguards for cyclocross bike

the_razz
the_razz Posts: 8
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Hi, recently got a Genesis Day One which I use to commute 20 miles a day on off road.
I'm starting to realise that mud guards would be a good idea but I don't fancy the full guards with stays as I want some I can take off easily when it gets drier, plus to be honest don't think they would suit the bike

I like the look of the Crud Catcher road racers but I have 35mm Conti Speed King tyres so don't think they have enough clearance.

Anybody got any ideas?

I've seen these but not sure if they are more for mountain bikes...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Crud_Race_Pac_Mudguard_Set/5300004946/

Cheers

Comments

• Hi, try the Zefal Trail set for £8.00 from Wiggle, fitted them on to my cyclocross bike and they are great.
  • great - thanks - look good, will give them a try
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Just ordered a set of SKS chromaplastic guards size road 45 for my Day One. Photo's to follow.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Will be interested to see how the sks guards look and if the fixings are ok

Just fitted the Zefal Trails at the weekend and they look good and more importantly work fine.

As a warning for anyone looking to get these for a Day One they are not quite as easy to fit as I had expected

I had to saw off the top of the front fixing bracket as there wasn't enough clearance between the mudguard fixing hole in the fork and the crown race

Also the hole in the bar between the seat stays is vertical rather than horizontal so I had to ditch the bracet, drill a hole through the mudguard and use an M4 x 25mm bolt to attach it to the seat stay bar.

But they fit fine once on and go well with the bike, perfect size, no rubbing against the frame or brake calipers
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Using SKS chromos on the Cube with 35 x700 Schwalbe Racing Raphs - seem to have plenty of clearance