Campy groupset with BB30 crankset question

ketsbaia
ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
edited February 2013 in Workshop
OK, so I've finally had enough of Shimano 105 and fancy a change back to Campagnolo. Only issue is, the bottom bracket is BB30 sized, so ideally I need a BB30 crankset.

Are any of the bog standard issue ones such as FSA compatible with Campy groupsets or am I gonna have to forego BB30 and fit BB cups/go with SRAM instead?

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    You can use any crankset that fits a BB30 frame. Cranksets are one of the few things that are not tied to a groupset.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    I've got a SRAM Red BB30 chainset on my Cinelli. The rest of the groupset is a mix of Campagnolo Record and Chorus.

I did try one of those adapter sleeves (and still have an unused one if you want it). You just push it in with something like a headset press once you've coated it with some Loctite (don't recall the number of that).
    Anyhow, it worked OK for about 6 months but then worked loose, so I bit the bullet and got the Sram Red BB30 chainset. I've been well pleased with that and have had no issues over a few thousand miles.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    If you do use a different crankset, and your Campag stuff is 11 speed, you *may* find that front shifting is not as slick as you'd expect.

Some folks have had trouble getting other makes of 10 speed cranks to work well with the 11 speed chain and shifters, can be very fiddly to get working apparently?

Not always a problem, just something to be aware of... otherwise, SUNGOD's link above will sort the issue for you.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Cool. Cheers, all. Was hoping to avoid cups, but those things don't seem too bad.

Might be tempted to go down the SRAM/Campag mix route, though.
  • resurrecting an old thread. Apart from original posters, has anyone else tried it and come across any issues. I'll be using a mix of Campagnolo Centaur and Chorus 10 speed with Sram BB30 chainset, and was hoping that there won't be any issues? Thanks WG