Dear Photoshoppers

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited November 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Anyone know of any free programs that can stitch together a few photographs to make a panoramic picture?

I've tried do it by hand and just lining it up but the images are a little off. I've found a few programs that make the joins seemless but they print their watermark on the image or cost a million pounds.

any help much appreciated, thanks Jai

Comments

• GIMP - freeware version of photoshop pretty much identicle
  • jairaj
    I tried GIMP but couldn't find a feature to seamlessly join the pictures together.

I could only lay one picture on top of the other which didn't give a fantastic effect. Have I missed a trick somewhere?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pish to GIMP. It'a complete and utter ball-ache for this stuff
    What you need is Windows Live Photo Gallery. You can choose a load of files (it helps if you seect them in left-to right order, but isn't always necessary), then go to "make" and choose panorama.
    It is exceptionally good. I've had better results using it than I have with Photoshop. AND, it even works with "professional" RAW files from most SLR cameras :shock:

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials

and some samples...

4738900193_0f265203aa.jpg

4529116344_f7a8b0c2a5.jpg
  • Not sure I suggested GIMP as its a very very close copy of photoshop but whether it has that in. Sorry if not
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Pish to GIMP. It'a complete and utter ball-ache for this stuff
    What you need is Windows Live Photo Gallery. You can choose a load of files (it helps if you seect them in left-to right order, but isn't always necessary), then go to "make" and choose panorama.
    It is exceptionally good. I've had better results using it than I have with Photoshop. AND, it even works with "professional" RAW files from most SLR cameras :shock:

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials

and some samples...

4738900193_0f265203aa.jpg

4529116344_f7a8b0c2a5.jpg

i never knew it did that...awsome :D

i'll be trying that this weekend 8)
  • Anonymous
    Not sure I suggested GIMP as its a very very close copy of photoshop but whether it has that in. Sorry if not
    GIMP is a retarded, cousin fkucing version of Photoshop that is fine for the most basic tasks, but it really can't match Adobe's grunt for advanced things.
    It's also ball-achingly slow.
    If it was of any real use, Photoshop sure as hell wouldn't be as expensive.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Photoshop has it built in. File -> Automate -> Photomerge.
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    There aren't too many programs that you can't find a free copy of using torrent search engines. Obviously it's not legal and I would never condone such behaviour.

Photoshop rocks, if you get it and learn how to use it you won't ever need anything else for anything to do with photographs. I've got CS5 at work and I love the way that Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop files work together.
  • Anonymous
    chedabob wrote:
    Dear christ, were you dropped on your head as a child?
    jairaj wrote:
    Anyone know of any free programs that can stitch together a few photographs to make a panoramic picture?

I've tried do it by hand and just lining it up but the images are a little off. I've found a few programs that make the joins seemless but they print their watermark on the image or cost a million pounds.

Live Photo Gallery... I've had better results using it than I have with Photoshop.

Do you actually read before posting?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    chedabob wrote:
    Dear christ, were you dropped on your head as a child?
    jairaj wrote:

Live Photo Gallery... I've had better results using it than I have with Photoshop.

Do you actually read before posting?

Is it possible for you to respond without being a tw*t? I skimmed the thread and missed a key point. Big deal. Get a lime, some string, and chill out.
  • jairaj
    Ah cool I'll check out the windows live thing. It might be exactly the kind of thing im after. Thank you.

Looks like it gives you only the essential features and simplifies them for total novices like me!

I had a quick go on GIMP to try and retouch photos, change the colour balance a bit etc but kept getting distracted by the myriad of shiny options to play with. Kept ending up fuggly looking photos. I think the lack of options for me is for the better :lol:
  • Boy Lard
    Boy Lard Posts: 445
    Also depends a lot on what the intended use of the photo is. You can sometimes end up with a really nice looking photograph on screen, but prints really badly. I work in pre-press and spend quite a bit of time making average photos just about printable. Obviously when I say 'work' I use the word loosely as that's what I'm supposedly doing right now.
  • Anonymous
    chedabob wrote:
    Is it possible for you to respond without being a tw*t? I skimmed the thread and missed a key point. Big deal. Get a lime, some string, and chill out.
    As long as you're spouting useless, regurgitated nonsense without actually following the conversation that's going on, no.
  • What was the free software you were using by the way? Theres usually a way to remove the watermark.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jairaj
    Boy Lard wrote:
    Also depends a lot on what the intended use of the photo is.
    Its just a few holidays snaps, I thought some of the landscape shots might look better in panoramic view to get a better scale of the terrain.
    What was the free software you were using by the way? Theres usually a way to remove the watermark.
    I followed a link from this web page. some of the example photos they have are pretty cool.
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Autostitch - Don't know if still is free OS make a good job of blending and levels

There was no Linux, Mac version
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • Anonymous
    welshkev wrote:
    i never knew it did that...awsome :D

i'll be trying that this weekend 8)
    This seems to be a massive issue with MS's stuff. They create some genuinely amazing software, then forget to tell anyone about it!
    I have seen ONE advert, where some kid was taking pictures of robots, and sticking them together to make a big panorama, but as cute as the add was, it didn't really explain what LiveGallery can do :lol:

There's some awesome stuff being made in their research labs, like Photosynth, oh, and the precursor to Kinnect - the webcam software that allowed you to either use your webcam to use multi-touch gestures, or just free-air control.
    Who, apart from the uber geeks, know about any of this stuff, though eh?

But I digress, Live Gallery is just bloody great, and they really should put it out there a bit better.
  • jairaj pm'd you.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • jairaj
    just in case anyone is interested here is one of the pics I was trying to stitch together:

azores%20204%20Stitch.jpg

A bit of the quality seems to have been lost uploading to the web.

thanks for the help, Jai
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    IhateDNS wrote:
    Autostitch - Don't know if still is free OS make a good job of blending and levels

There was no Linux, Mac version
    +1 - autostitch is very good - but dont know if its around any more
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Anonymous
    Nice. Shame about the lens flare. I find it's damned well impossible to eliminate flaring in panoramic shots, since you cover such a wide arc, the sun is almost inevitably going to be in shot.
    What did you use in the end?
  • jairaj
    I used the Windows Live Gallery for that one.

There is another panoramic photo that Live Gallery couldn't stitch so I used my mates computer with a program which managed it fine.

But that Live Gallery thing is awesome for a guy like me. Im a total novice at photography and it gave me just the right amount of control over my pictures to get them looking perfect. Really good bit of kit for the everyday person.

If any one is interested heres the rest of the pics from my holiday in the Azores:
    http://cid-cfb9f529e93e7112.photos.live.com/browse.aspx/Azores
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    looks interesting this Live Gallery stuff
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg