HUDZ brake hoods - good or bad?

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Looking at these for my Campag Veloce shifters as I find the manufacturers not particularly grippy or comfortable.

Grateful for any comments from users - good or bad
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• from my limited experience with them.. an absolute ba$tard to fit on my dura ace shifters, and then i decided i didnt like white shifter hoods anyway and had to reverse the process, a fantastic experiment in how to waste an hour or two doing something pointless 9/10 'normal' people probably wouldnt even notice anyway and for very little real gain.

however its suffering things like this which make us road cyclists such special people.

Would anyone like to buy a set of Hudz white DA shifter hoods ? Repackaged good as new.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I've used them and they worked great for me. No problems at all and fit better than the OEM ones!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Does anyone have any white ones? I'd be interested to know how long they stay white and how easy they're to clean?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    from my limited experience with them.. an absolute ba$tard to fit on my dura ace shifters.....

Bit of a tip here is to warm them up in boiling water (gets them nice and pliable) makes sure their dry then use Hair spray (cheap supermarket stuff is fine) over the shifter body and inside the rubber....makes it slide over easy and sticks it down !
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I have DA 7900 Hudz, so no experience with Campag.

Getting the OEM hoods off was a bit of a pain for the first one as I didn't want to risk breaking anything, but the second was off inside 30 seconds. I dusted the inside of the new ones with talc and they slipped straight on. A bit of adjustment to get the locators on the Hudz in the notches on the STIs and it was sorted. No more than 2 mins for the pair. I have red and red bar tape but tbh I think I preferred black and black.

I find that the front of the Hudz doesn't fit quite as well as the OEM ones but they do the job.
  • i just got angry with them, it didnt help.
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    I swapped my standard Chorus black hoods for Red Hudz, decided after a couple of months that the red ones looked a bit cheap so swapped back to the black ones.
    The quality of the Hudz is fine but I didn't find them any more comfortable than the Campag ones.