Toe clips.

pugaltitude
pugaltitude Posts: 191
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Does anybody else use toe clips on their pedals.
Iv always used them as my foot falls off with normal pedals and Im unsure about getting a shoe/pedal combo.
Does your shoe unclip easily?

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aargh, it's the 90s :lol: I used to use them, hurt myself a few times, stopped using them. Clipless/SPD is miles better, you're more connected (and it's easier to get on) but you unclip and clear more safely too, toeclips can keep you pretty attached to the bike in a crash (especially if they have sides).

We went to kirroughtree last year, one of the girls kept saying "Oh, I'm not brave enough to ride that". Brave enough to ride mcmoab with bloody toeclips though, I wouldn't do that! Mental...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • SPD's are easy to clip in and out once you get the hang of it and have the motion remembered and start remembering you need to unclip when you stop.

I swear by SPDs for anything other than city riding, and they've helped quite alot.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    toe clips are a thing of the devil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    toe clips, gave up on them years ago.

clipless as easier to get into, espacially double sided ones.

you need a bit of practiseand accept that you will topple over so best go practise somewhere with soft ground.

then it becomes so natrual that you don't even think about it.
  • I used to use toe clips as it allowed me to ride down really rough trails on a fully rigid bike. I got a Rockhopper in 2001 that came with SPD's so I went out and bought some shoes. Never looked back. Of course I had the old "going down with the ship" moment where I forgot I was clipped in but luckily no-one was watching. You only do it once!
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    Remember that there are multi release cleats too, which for some bizarre reason I am the only person who has them!

It lets you get our in any direction other than pulling up
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Just got back on the bike after a very long break & am still using toe clips as it's what i've been used to for so many years :roll: Will prob try SPD's in time but for now i'm sticking with toe clips until I get used to riding again
    1991 Kona Cinder Cone in Cinder Gold
    www.borders4x4club.co.uk
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    My list toe clip experience was my mates clip, clipping the lip of a jump thus hurling him through the air. Needless to say, he got rid of them after that ride. SPD's/Good shoes with flats FTW!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Problem with toe clips is they make the pedals upside down when you take your foot out, making an easy start on a steep hill very difficult.
    They also make you look really really old.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • for special people; bizarrely they came with my Rockhopper :?