Replacing Chainrings

japsy
japsy Posts: 78
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

Went to replace the chain (5th or 6th one) on my 2007 SCR and noticed on my triple chainset that the big and middle chainrings are pretty worn so I want to replace them. The chainset is just labelled FSA. Can I just get pretty much any triple chainring from Shimano and they'd fit on the FSA spider or are there other things to consider?

Cassette is fairly new.

My plan now is to run the current setup in to the ground over winter before replacing in spring next year.

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Any chainring will fit - as long as you get the right bolt pattern and size. If you're just replacing existing rings - probably want to stick with the same number of teeth too.

Triple chainrings have a BCD (bolt diameter) of 130 for Shimano/FSA - for the two biggest rings. 74 for the smallest one. Lots of cheap rings out there to chose from - and FSA ones aren't even that expensive either!
  • Chainrings aren't like sprockets. When they are worn and have a couple of broken teeth even, they do not contribute to significant loss of efficiency.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Chainrings aren't like sprockets.

That's true. Chainrings are sprockets.
  • Pokerface
    Chainrings aren't like sprockets. When they are worn and have a couple of broken teeth even, they do not contribute to significant loss of efficiency.

When the teeth become worn, the chain can start to slip. Happened to me.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Chainrings aren't like sprockets. When they are worn and have a couple of broken teeth even, they do not contribute to significant loss of efficiency.

What about chain suck? Much more likely with worn chainrings and a new chain.
    More problems but still living....
  • japsy
    japsy Posts: 78
    Pokerface wrote:
    Any chainring will fit - as long as you get the right bolt pattern and size. If you're just replacing existing rings - probably want to stick with the same number of teeth too.

Triple chainrings have a BCD (bolt diameter) of 130 for Shimano/FSA - for the two biggest rings. 74 for the smallest one. Lots of cheap rings out there to chose from - and FSA ones aren't even that expensive either!

Great, thanks.

Cheap rings? I've seen £30 for the big and £20 for the middle (Shimano Tiagra) from wiggle and CRC. Is that considered cheap? Anywhere else to look?
  • Pokerface
    japsy wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Great, thanks.

Cheap rings? I've seen £30 for the big and £20 for the middle (Shimano Tiagra) from wiggle and CRC. Is that considered cheap? Anywhere else to look?

Cheap rings: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... tronglight
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I would not recomend the Dural ones as they are not very hard wearing. The Zicral, CT and Ceramic are good.