Paranormal Activity 2

iridebikes500
iridebikes500 Posts: 72
edited October 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Hi,

I am contemplating seeing this film although is it any good? Is it a good film or is it just good because, apparently, its proper scary?

Cheers.
'Mountains cannot be moved, mountains have to be conquered'

Carrera Kraken
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5568205/

Onza Zoot 24"
http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/5587710/

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Worse than the first according to someone on my fb who i don't know/ have ever seen in person.

Seriously though the first was pretty bad, im doubting the second will be any good.
  • I quite enjoyed the first one if I'm honest.

It's certainly something you need to see at the cinema if you're going to watch it as I imagine they lose a good deal of atmosphere when on the "small screen".

The first one is the only film I've ever seen that actually had proper screams from a large portion of the audience.

I'd imagine that like most horror sequels though, it'll not be as good as the first one.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I think the fact that half our audience at the cinema were laughing at most of the film didnt help the atmosphere much :lol:
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    It had more moments which scared me slightly than the first one.

The laughing/screaming teenagers really didn't help, as I ended up imagining their murders.
  • Most follow ups are never as good as the original, with the exception of "Back to the Future* and [the second] "Aliens"

I took the kids (aged 19/20) to see Paranormal Activity in December last year and their reaction was entertaining, especially the girls!

I don't expect the follow up to be any better
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    My mate fell asleep at the cinema during this film. That was the highlight for me.
  • Both were terrible. I'm glad I didn't waste my money on either DVDs.
  • I quite enjoyed the first one if I'm honest.

It's certainly something you need to see at the cinema if you're going to watch it as I imagine they lose a good deal of atmosphere when on the "small screen".

The first one is the only film I've ever seen that actually had proper screams from a large portion of the audience.

I'd imagine that like most horror sequels though, it'll not be as good as the first one.
    This.
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    First one is terrible. If you want a decent scary film, watch [Rec] (not the garbage American remake Quarantine). Avoid [Rec]2 though.
  • I have heard that the first one only works in the cinema due to the shadowy forces of crowd dynamics - which can lead to mass hysteria....and that at home on DVD it isn't allt hat scary. Since cinema tickets are nigh on £10 and cinema audiences tend to spend most of their time rustling snack bags and talking on their phones I have declined the chance to see it in the cinema and don't feel all that enthusiastic about seeing it on DVD. And that's the first film I'm talking about, let alone the second. Since I still find the Exorcist scary everytime I watch it - I think I'll stick to that.
    chedabob wrote:
    First one is terrible. If you want a decent scary film, watch [Rec] (not the garbage American remake Quarantine). Avoid [Rec]2 though.

Rec was good but slightly ruined for most people in that the shock at the twist once the horror starts which ISTR happens about 20 minutes into the film is given away in trailers and reviews. But while not massively scary - quite tense all the way through and a few good jumps.
    Hello! I've been here over a month now.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I quite enjoyed the first one if I'm honest.

Nah i disagree, the laughing and teenage girl screaming completely killed any scariness. It would be much worse watching it in a dark room at home.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Paranormal Activity 2 = epic fail
    Watched it tonight and it was nowhere near as good as the first one.