Royal Mail Bikes

rpk98c
rpk98c Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
Anyone know if they are going to sell them, or just scrap them?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/royal-mail-scrap-bicycles-for-safety-reasons-25576

They're still being used in my area, but the postie says they are going soon.

I'd love to have one!

Comments

• Is that a done deal now then?
    I reckon they'll go here http://www.re-cycle.org/
  • rpk98c
    rpk98c Posts: 6
    according to my postman is, he's not happy about it understandably. He reckons they're replacing some of them with hand pull carts for health and safety reasons!

Going to re-cycle.org would be a great idea though.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Ah the catch all 'elf n safety innit? If you want to get rid of something blame it on 'elf n safety. At a time when most businesses are trying to lower their CO2 profile, Royal Mail is vastly increasing its own by scrapping delivery bikes... Great forward thinking...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Having said that, UK law on bikes does not help....
    Electrically assisted bikes must have pedals
    Electrically assisted trikes are counted as motor vehicles

Lets get some joined up thinking from the gov't!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Electrically powered bikes and cars are not necessarily the silver bullet answer, they still create pollution, they just transfer it to your local nuclear or coal powered power station outside the city...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • By coincidence I just did an online assessment for a job as a postman (I'm quietly going mad being unemployed) and they still ask if you can ride a bike, there's also a ''what would you do in the event of a puncture while out on a round?'' (curiously though, ''mend it'' was not one of the multi-choice options.)

But - indication of the future, perhaps - there was another question talking about increased use of vans - ''would you be prepared to drive a van?''

I was surprised to see that the bike still features in their job-worthiness assessment.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    I believe the plan was to send the surplus bikes to Africa.
    Post Office have definitely sent bikes there before now.

I also understand that many parts are deliberately non-standard sizes to discourage theft for home use.

Not sure where I heard either of the above from

MIke