New commute, 1st day guess what?????

russmcp
russmcp Posts: 28
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Puncture! 1st day on my boardman not happy.

3 miles in, made sure last night the pressures were good, 110 each and set off this morning, enjoying the speed. The road is not the best admttedly but still suprised I got a visit from the puncture fairy.

Back to the heavy solid mountain bike I think, knowing my luck I'll get another one tomorrow!
This fitness lark is getting addictive

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Boardman Road bikes come with Conti ultra tyres - they have the puncture resistance of souffle...

Change for the conti ultra "gatorskin" or Specialized Armadillo

Job done!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Schwalbe Durano, Durano S or Durano Plus. Job done.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Gatorskins +1

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I never comment on puncture threads as I think it brings me bad luck, but those Durano's ^^^ are proper good, and give a comfy ride too.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I never comment on puncture threads as I think it brings me bad luck, but those Durano's ^^^ are proper good, and give a comfy ride too.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Change for the conti ultra "gatorskin" or Specialized Armadillo

+1
  • just on the gatorskins, there good but feel so sloooooooooooooooooow.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    just on the gatorskins, there good but feel so sloooooooooooooooooow.

What did you have before?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Halo Twinrail Courier Berlin edition. Can't big them up too much for ride and puncture resistance.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    SimonAH wrote:
    Halo Twinrail Courier Berlin edition. Can't big them up too much for ride and puncture resistance.

But he'll have to convert it to a fixie and roll his jeans up then. :P
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    rjsterry wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

But he'll have to convert it to a fixie and roll his jeans up then. :P

I'll have you know you cheeky sod I use bulldog clip in the office of a trouser clip.

My strides are good and flappy and will never see the light of a rolled up shin. Don't wear glasses either, nor yet work in media or sport a tattoo of any description.

Have got a beard though..... :oops:
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Conti GP4000(and S, by extension I guess). Fast, grippy, resistant.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I say give up take the car, sell the bike, clearly this cycle commuting is not for you ...

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • russmcp
    russmcp Posts: 28
    itboffin wrote:
    I say give up take the car, sell the bike, clearly this cycle commuting is not for you ...

:roll:

Ta. But I think I'll ignore your advice. Not used the car for my commute for a long time now.

As to you others, many thanks for your thoughts, will be wiggling tonight.
    This fitness lark is getting addictive
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    Schwalbe Durano, Durano S or Durano Plus. Job done.

/\ /\ /\ /\

Awesome tyre.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    Only upgrade to hamsterskins if previously you were using brown paper.

Otherwise, go for Paselas or Duranos. Marathon Plus if you don't want any punctures at all, of course.
    Riding on 531
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Two punctures so far this week, soon they'll be more patch than tube.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Gatorskins = slightly overcooked souffle', the rubber is too soft and fragile, cut up easy. Spesh All Conditions or Armadillo, or Schwalbe Durano are better
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    GrandPrix 4Seasons, expensive but really good. I do live in The Netherlands and even our cyclepaths are swept on a regular basis.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • At the other end of the scale, I recommend Michelin Dynamic, mine were £18 for the pair. No punctures for the first 2500 miles, then 2 visits in a week so I got another pair. 2000 miles on and good luck so far. Can't comment on rolling performance as it's my first road bike.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    If you paid £18 for the Dynamics either that included the tubes or you were done. They're £5.95 from Chainreaction.

I ran on them for years (until I discovered Armadillo and Gatorskins). I did thousands of miles on rural roads but they're not really up to the task of handling the UK's glass strewn urban roads.

Gators have better feel than armadillos (which do slide around in the wet) but they aren't in the same league when it comes to puncture resistance.

I bet there are people who have changed from solid tyres to Armadillos to give better durability|

Bob
  • Libraio wrote:
    GrandPrix 4Seasons, expensive but really good. I do live in The Netherlands and even our cyclepaths are swept on a regular basis.

Another vote for Conti 4 Seasons. I had about 5 punctures in a few weeks until I got these. Haven't had one in months now.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • beverick wrote:
    Gators have better feel than armadillos (which do slide around in the wet) ...

Ah good, I'm pleased to see the sliding is not my bike falling apart.

I'm using my Armadillos for the first time this week and finding them generally good. I did notice a bit of rear-wheel sliding in the wet this morning, but nothing too concerning. And last night they went through torrential rain and some deep leg-soaking puddles with no noticebale problems.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Schwalbe Stelvio Plus is what I currently have on the fixie. it has a thinner version of the Marathon Plus safeguard strip, but is a pretty lightweight, fast-rolling 23mm tyre. I've not done 1000 miles on them yet but no punctures so far.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    biondino wrote:
    Schwalbe Stelvio Plus is what I currently have on the fixie. it has a thinner version of the Marathon Plus safeguard strip, but is a pretty lightweight, fast-rolling 23mm tyre. I've not done 1000 miles on them yet but no punctures so far.

The Stelvios have been discontinued and replaced with the Durano S.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • The best form of puncture resistance is ride without the tyre + inner tube... job done!
  • +1 to the durano plus'

Went from Vittoria Paves which are incredibly planted, mountains of grip and run at 130psi to the DPs at 145 and dear lord they are fast, super responsive and will last (i hope)

Seriously seriously fast...although you have to pay.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • A mate of mine at work also has a Boardman that he commutes on. He was getting loads of punctures. He bought some Conti Gatorskins but still got punctures. I had a look for him and the rimtape on both his wheels was all bunched up and the holes for the spokes were exposed. He's replaced the rimtape on both wheels and so far so good.

'course now I've written this he'll get a puncture :roll:
  • beverick wrote:
    ....They're £5.95 from Chainreaction.....
    Maybe, although I should have said I'm using 28mm Dynamics, and those are currently £9.99 on CRC.
    Also I don't mind paying over the odds at my LBS sometimes, I get a lot of advice there. They keep talking me out of buying new stuff and show me how to fix my existing kit.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Clarion wrote:
    Marathon Plus if you don't want to arrive this century

Fixed that for you

It's just a hill. Get over it.