Bar Tape - WTF?

Rushie
Rushie Posts: 115
edited October 2010 in Workshop
It's 2010. We have electronic shifting, hydraulic disk brakes, carbon-fibre nano-technology, on-bike GPS and power measurement. And then we wrap our wind-tunnel-tuned bars with strips of old cork. Every time I do it (which is more often than I'd like, given the frequency of cable changes necessitated by Campag Veloce), I'm struck that there has to be a better way. Anyone got one? In the meantime, does anyone have a reliable, repeatable method of winding the bl00dy tape on in a way that is secure, tidy and quick?

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I use a figure of 8 around the shifter.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Rushie wrote:
    It's 2010. We have electronic shifting, hydraulic disk brakes, carbon-fibre nano-technology, on-bike GPS and power measurement. And then we wrap our wind-tunnel-tuned bars with strips of old cork. Every time I do it (which is more often than I'd like, given the frequency of cable changes necessitated by Campag Veloce), I'm struck that there has to be a better way. Anyone got one? In the meantime, does anyone have a reliable, repeatable method of winding the bl00dy tape on in a way that is secure, tidy and quick?

Valid comment. I have done it a few times, and only now is my wrapping getting to a decent quality. My only tip, is to ensure it is stretched tight - seems to work.
  • gavintc
    edited October 2010
    duplicate - deleted
  • gavintc
    edited October 2010
    duplicate - deleted
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    Right, tight stretching and fig 8 round the shifter it is. Thanks for the tips. Sick of it to be honest. Might just cut some mtb grips lengthways and put them on the tops. Will try it on the commuter first and see if it works.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Another vote here for the 'strethcing' method. Also, leave the tape on the radiator for a short while before applying it. I find the warmth it adds to the material makes it just a little bit more pliable.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    +1 for the radiator tip. It makes tapes like the fizik microtech much more pliable
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    sorry but why does veloce require regular cable changes?

My winter bike has 08 centaur (only one notch up) and I haven't had to touch the cables, well, ever really.

I quite enjoy tape wrapping - quite theraputic - take your time and the end result can be quite satisfying too!
  • gavintc
    GavH wrote:
    Another vote here for the 'strethcing' method. Also, leave the tape on the radiator for a short while before applying it. I find the warmth it adds to the material makes it just a little bit more pliable.

thanks - must try the heated tape approach.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I use Profile Design non-adhesive bar wrap. I have a lot more lattitude for error when applying it, and I can take it off and use it again without ruining it. If wrapped tightly it stays on as well as adhesive tape, but if it did move it is easy to reapply. Cable outer changes pose no issues :D
  • nice video but i would have pre-taped the cables in position before i started and also added a 1.5" strip under each brake hood cover for a bit of extra padding, also whilst you're at it bang on a set of Fizik bar gel or similar, if you ride without mitts in the summer you'll appreciate it.

try doing fizik dual bar tape and hiding the colour strip, that's a nice challenge particularly around the brake/shifter hoods.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Wrap your bars in electrical tape first - the bar tape doesn't stick as firmly, so you can wrap and unwrap as many times as you like...you can reuse the tape multiple times.

I don't understand the need to continually refit inner cable either - Campagnolo are more reliable that the fishing reel stuff..
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ynyswen24
    ynyswen24 Posts: 703
    Always start at the bar ends not the stem end.
    A trick I've just been told (but not yet tried) is to wrap two layers of crepe bandage (cheap as chips) around the top of the bars and then wrap bar tape over, apparently it gives a bit of shock absorption without being as bulky as two layers of tape or gel pads. No idea if it works mind, Norman might have been bull- s'ing me.
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    Ive got the Specialized Gel bar tape and its ok, more comfy than the tape alone but very bulky and the material isnt smooth like normal bar tape, almost fluffy like :shock:

This post has reminded me that I need to redo my summer bike.... joy :(
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I tend to change cables annually (I've had a couple of them break on me in the past) but you should be able to do it without touching the cable housing (unless Campag is very different to Shimano). Just feed the wire through, no need to worry about unwrapping the bars.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Gav888 wrote:
    Ive got the Specialized Gel bar tape and its ok, more comfy than the tape alone but very bulky and the material isnt smooth like normal bar tape, almost fluffy like :shock:

This post has reminded me that I need to redo my summer bike.... joy :(

is that the "roubaix" tape?? - I have that - excellent tape - the best I have used - closely folowed by cinelli gel tape
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    Has anyone tried old inner tubes under their bar tape? I'm gonna try it on my winter build. The bars are old non-oversized alloy so I find them a bit narrow in diameter for my hands anyway.
  • Wrap the tape anti clockwise on the LHS and clockwise on the RHS. Thay way your hands keep tightening it.
    And all the other points above.
  • nodman7
    nodman7 Posts: 142
    i always wrap the bar with electrical tape sticky side out before putting on the bar tape, nevers moves out of place then and when its removed theres no lumps of sticky crap left on the bars