Garmin Edge 705 + Rain = Trouble

spezial
spezial Posts: 142
edited November 2010 in Workshop
It seems the unit is pretty waterproof, with the exception of the SD Card slot, and it aint no use without the maps! If I get stuck with just a black arrow on the screen when it is raining once more, I'm gonna throw it in the nearest ditch!

Is there a product out there that will protect it from the rain? I've tried taping up the cover, but it didn't work, is there a reliable home made way of doing it?

It's such a shame, as it's a great computer (as it probably should be for the price!), but I would like it to know where it is, it is a GPS unit after all.
"what's it pertaining?"

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I'd get in touch with Garmin if I were you - phone is best. Sounds like you have a faulty unit.
    More problems but still living....
  • spezial
    amaferanga wrote:
    I'd get in touch with Garmin if I were you - phone is best. Sounds like you have a faulty unit.

Could be, but there doesn't seem to be any waterproof seal on the part of the unit where the SD card goes, and a lot of water gets in there. Am I missing a seal or part that might protect it?
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Is there no way of transfering the maps to the garmins internal memory? Thats where mine are.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Touch wood, I've never had a problem with mine in over a year commuting in all weather. It sounds like you may have a problem unit. How do you have it mounted, on the bar or stem? Mine is stem if it makes a difference.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • spezial
    Unfortunately, the maps won't work if you transfer them from the SD card to the memory, some sort of anti piracy measure I think.

The unit is mounted on the stem, just using a standard mount.

I have read posts by people on this forum and others talking about similar problems with this type of thing, with some suggesting using plastic bags, etc for waterproofing.

I'll stick an e-mail into Garmin, and maybe try them on the phone if I get a chance and see what they suggest.
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I always thought it was a little odd that there isn't a rubber lip around the SD card cover but I'm with the others who have ridden in all sorts of weather and not had a problem with it.

Assuming you have the Euro map pack like me there isn't a way to transfer the maps off but if you don't need to change map set you could run a bead of silicon around the cover and seal it in. You may never get it off again but it's an option.
  • Just for info........... the SD slot cover has the rubber seal built into it, have a look inside it if you clip it off.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Just had a look at mine and like JohnnyAllez there is a rubber seal on the SD slot cover.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • spezial
    Heard back from Garmin and they are sending me a new card slot cover in case the rubber seal is faulty in some way. Their customer service dept. seems really good.

Typically, the other dayI went out in some of the heaviest rain I've ridden in for 6 hours, and it was fine. It was in the same geographical area as the problem occurred in before as well, so it isn't some sort of GPS/map black-spot either.

Thinking about it, the problem seems to happen mostly when I am riding somewhere I haven't been before, and it's pouring with rain, leaving me soaking and stranded. I think the little man living inside my Garmin has a wicked sense of humour!
    "what's it pertaining?"