the gymmmm

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
This isn't for those who want to moan about how they won't go near a the gym but...

Having spent the weekend doing free weights on my upper only, my legs are like lead and its only Tues morning! :?

Anybody else suffer from this or should I be looking at another explanation for my sudden loss of fitness? Was it the cold, am I ill, exhausted, not allowed for proper recovery or was it the butler in the study with the candle holder?

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I have noticed this of late aswell since upping my training in the gym.

I was riding yesterday and when I got about 50 mins in my legs just seemed to disapear lol.

I think the cold is a factor but also it depends how you train. I tend not to lift heavy weights and do my weight sessions as more of a circuit and include press ups, chin ups etc so using own body weight.

Just because your not training your legs doesnt mean your not working your whole body, it is prob due to not recovering properly

One of the most interesting points is you spent the weekend doing free weights, which add to 5 days commuting prior, two days training and back on the bike your body hasnt actually had a rest day
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    If you're not used to giong to the gym, perhaps you've somehow run down your general energy supplies. I go to the gym 3x per week for upper body exercise on top of about 100-120 miles per week on the bike and the odd 10k run and although it tires me I don't necessarily feel destroyed by any of these things, but I do them regularly so my body's used to it...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    my legs seem to've stopped working properly in the last week or so and i don't go to the gym. for me, it's just because it's proper brass monkeys and i'm a big girly boy.
  • available energy reserves as HH says. do either separately and you'll be fine. together and you need longer to make available glycogen.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • iPete
    Thanks, its probably due to me taking 2 weeks off prior to last week then going at it non stop since, think I'll get the train tomorrow and avoid the gym! Amazing how quickly you can lose it!

Getting over taken by a single speeder was a massive shock to the system last week :lol:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    iPete wrote:
    Thanks, its probably due to me taking 2 weeks off prior to last week then going at it non stop since, think I'll get the train tomorrow and avoid the gym! Amazing how quickly you can lose it!

Getting over taken by a single speeder was a massive shock to the system last week :lol:

Getting the train and avoiding the gym won't help you get better! Suck it in and spit it out.... RAAARRR!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • iPete
    iPete wrote:

Getting the train and avoiding the gym won't help you get better! Suck it in and spit it out.... RAAARRR!

True say, I've been doing 100-150 miles a week for a year, need to get on with it but arranged a date tomorrow, not sure whether shes into lycra yet so going to play is safe :lol:
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    iPete wrote:
    True say, I've been doing 100-150 miles a week for a year, need to get on with it but arranged a date tomorrow, not sure whether shes into lycra yet so going to play is safe :lol:

well there's one surefire way to find out... :lol:
    Hat + Beard