Brechfa ( Gorlech or Raven )

Silversladey
Silversladey Posts: 450
edited October 2010 in Routes
Which trail would you reccommend at Brechfa ?

Gorlech (red)
or
Raven (Black)

Have ridden Afan and Cwmcarn,

How hard is the Black at Brechfa ?

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Black at Brechfa can be tricky in the wet... but its not too bad.... and IMHO is far better than the Gorlech.... the gorlech is allot of climbing for not much reward....

My fave thing to ride up there is... wait for it... the BLUE! its awesome... really fun... and you can easily link up the best bits of the black to do one super trail mix with all the good bits, and nothing horrible....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    The Blue is actually pretty awesome, plus it runs along the side of the Black so you can try a few black sections if you wish.

Personally I prefer Gorleck, The descents are all really good, fast and flowy with tabletops and other assorted things that make STW all angry.

As above a lot of the black is purposely less man-made than normal trail centre rides so gets very gloppy in the wet, and it's pretty much wet all the time in West Wales.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The uphill at Gorlech was a really nice ride anywayl. The down was pretty good as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Bout to sy the black(Raven) has a mean climb and some good downs i wasn't hugely loving it when i did it (but i'm told it grows on you)

Gorlech the red is tougher than the Raven with a far more BMX track feel to the decents which is wicked fun.

And the blue no idea... If i was there and could only do one trail it would be the red Gorlech
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    he's there now, jammy barsteward - i'm not jealous that your missus lets you take the bike away or anything sladey :lol:
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Not suggesting you ignore the marked trails, all of which are good (I prefer Gorlech), but I used to ride in Brechfa quite a lot before the trails were built and there is some great natural stuff in there. Unhelpfully I dont have any routes to suggest but i had hours of fun just exploring - it's a big old forest!
  • joshtp wrote:
    Black at Brechfa can be tricky in the wet... but its not too bad.... and IMHO is far better than the Gorlech.... the gorlech is allot of climbing for not much reward....

My fave thing to ride up there is... wait for it... the BLUE! its awesome... really fun... and you can easily link up the best bits of the black to do one super trail mix with all the good bits, and nothing horrible....

Absolutely Spot on.

Rode the Gorlech red on Thursday, it was ok the climbs are enjoyable and completely rideable in the middle ring, however the trail includes a bit of Downhill Fireroad which I think could be improved apon. The final descent is bonkers, the weather was wet and i am not the best but the trail throws you off the mountain in minutes, If you love steep bermed swithbacks its the trail for you.
    Rode the Blue and Green today and absolutely loved them managed to get out with a local lad and we incorporated some of the Black descents the whole Blue / Green trail was awesome , I dont know how they grade their trails out here but IMO the red trail rides like a black trail and the Blue rides like a Red.

Well worth the visit. :):):)