Garmin Forerunner, mini review GPS/HRM

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited December 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Got this last week but have only recently collected from post-room in work.

Exceptionally easy to configure, to work and to upload. Charges either via a 3 pin plug (using USB cable) or from a USB port on laptop etc. Charge they rekon last about a week if used for 45mins per day in training/monitoring mode,

The data/information you get is superb.

This was just for a heart-rate monitor test as it was set to 'indoor' mode so wasn't measuring distance/elevation etc.

But the outside information is also very good.

Takes a matter of seconds to upload and is only fractionally heavier than an average watch.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54426526

Obviously if outside you get more like this

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/5046 ... s_ss=email

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Hi...

Did you buy the FR 110 or 310XT?

(the two links state different models)
    Simon
  • weeksy59
    Hi...

Did you buy the FR 110 or 310XT?

(the two links state different models)

I got the 110. The 310XT was a mates from teh Afan monster but the output is still teh same. Used it quite a lot now and VERYimpressed with the level of information.
  • springtide9
    Cool. The FR110 looks very nice (it's also nice and small).

I also looked at the various Garmin products as I wanted to upgrade my 301. My friend had the 310XT and I noticed (duing the race I did) that the newer FR's seem to be much better at keeping GPS lock under a tree canopy.

After spending hours looking over the options, I eventually purchased the 310XT. Battery life was the only feature I liked about the 310 over the others, and I had spent too longer looking over the features and comparing, it was just easier to get the 310 (I'm terrible with purchasing stuff, and the 'what if')

Apart from a few runs, I've not really used the 310 properly. Haven't used any of the indoor features (need to really read the manual)... as I'm still taking my old very basic Polar to the gym... which I like as the gym machines only seem to support the Polar HR monitors (and it starts getting a bit much wearing more than one HR monitor)

If I remember, the 110 has very similar features to the 310 (apart from the battery life, there wasn't anything that jumped out that I thought I'd miss)... have you used it very much in the gym? And what do you think about it? (did you have anything else before?)

I assume one day these devices will be able to get data from the exercise machines so that all of your training info is being captured.

In terms of the GPS data, think this is great. It's amazing that you can look after the event and see data like your HR on the climbs etc :)
    Simon
  • Recently bought a forerunner 305 its bit big but the large display and chunky buttons makes it very easy to use and see while running

. Not got round to getting a speed/cadence sensor for the bike yet.

Must admit the more watch like forerunners look nicer,mine looks like some sort of communications device from Thunderbirds

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • weeksy59
    If I remember, the 110 has very similar features to the 310 (apart from the battery life, there wasn't anything that jumped out that I thought I'd miss)... have you used it very much in the gym? And what do you think about it? (did you have anything else before?)
    :)

Used more in the gym than outside. Works excellently.
  • springtide9
    weeksy59 wrote:
    :)

Used more in the gym than outside. Works excellently.

Looks like I need to read the manual!
    Simon
  • Recently bought a forerunner 305 its bit big but the large display and chunky buttons makes it very easy to use and see while running

. Not got round to getting a speed/cadence sensor for the bike yet.

Must admit the more watch like forerunners look nicer,mine looks like some sort of communications device from Thunderbirds
    F A B
    :D
    I have the same one, it's pretty dam good I think.
    Just started running.....very suprised to find that I enjoy it, but the gadget is great and really helps to motivate,
  • The Forerunner 305 is great and I recently replaced mine with another even though I'd seen colleagues 405s. The 305 can have more info displayed on the screen and the battery life is much better.

I've used mine for
    Running
    Cycling (with cadence meter and bike mount)
    Hill walking (trackback function is superb safety feature)
    Snowboarding
    Writing messages (like sky-writing except downloaded to GoogleEarth)
    Even tracking my movements on the hockey field and Knockhill race track.

It's fantastic. My only gripe is that it's too easy to hit the start-stop button and stop recording mid-event.

At a shade over 100 quid, it's fantastic and more versatile than bike-specific units
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • i have a forerunner 305
    Ihave used it for

running
    cycling road off road
    on the turbo trainer i have the cadence device
    walking
    in the gym, as a hrm

a great tool and probably my favourite device / gadget

www.dcrainmaker.com gives great advice on garmin products

i use ridebygps.com as well it uploads the data well

i use sportstracks and google earth

great tool enjoy