Cheap 'buff' neck type thing

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Yo. Cold neck recently so want to buy something to keep it warm. I am not willing to pay £23 quid and I don't like the weird '1980's rock album' design they pollute buffs with. Some thing more sombre would be preferable.

These things surely cost pence to make - where can I pay pence or few pounds?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    There's one free with the latest edition of C+. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited October 2010
    and one of the MTB mags too - I got 2 for £8 this way last week and have used both in the last few days - they're spot on, lovely toasty neck

I got my son a pack of 3 buffs for £10 from TK-maxx last autumn. worth a gander in ther ski & (pitifully small) bike section. they were for kids technically but fits me fine.

hal££ords doo them for a tenner and for real winter the 'Maine' fleecy neck roll cum hats were £10 in debenhams round here the other week.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    cjcp wrote:
    There's one free with the latest edition of C+. :D

I got one yesterday to give me a backup to the 'original' buff I paid £13 for last week.

they're red-white so not the most attractive but seems to work as well as the branded one. certainly worth a punt for £3.99.

whilst I was in WH Smiths I saw Fast Bike (motorbikes) magazine are also giving away a fleece neck tube (same thing but fleecy material) although I'm not sure if that would be too hot for cycling in (maybe good backup for snow etc).
    Hat + Beard
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Great! Thanks v much.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    whilst I was in WH Smiths I saw Fast Bike (motorbikes) magazine are also giving away a fleece neck tube (same thing but fleecy material) although I'm not sure if that would be too hot for cycling in (maybe good backup for snow etc).

oooo...I'm off to the newsagents at lunchtime...fleecy ones def good for snow
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Words of warning: they're a bit 1980s rock album. :lol:

But they work, as I found out yesterday morning.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got a 'Cyclone' Windstopper buff.

I wear it occasionally but it generally lives in in a display case next to my front door with a sign reading 'In Case of The Day After Tomorrow break glass.'

It's quite toasty.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Sigurd
    Sigurd Posts: 38
    Mountain Warehouse do them too, in 'the one true colour'.
    1992 Dave Yates Diabolo

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation. Those who look upon it have survived it: they are its product and its victors"
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Still have my C+ buff from last year and it's still going strong.
  • cjcp
    Gazzaputt wrote:

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • ketsbaia
    cjcp wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

+1.

+2

Wore both yesterday. :shock:
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    while we're on the topic of buffs and the OP has some top tips on cheap buffs can I just hijack this a little and ask if anyone has any experience with the merino wool ones? do they offer any noticeable benefit over the plain ones or is it a case of the marketing guys saying "hmm how can we make even more money out of a tube of fabric?" and someone saying "make it out of slightly more expensive material and charge double!".
    Hat + Beard
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    get a fleece from a charity shop. Cut the arms off, snip at the elbows, hey presto lots of shiny new buffs.

Plus you've now got a gillet.

:D
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    mr_si wrote:
    get a fleece from a charity shop. Cut the arms off, snip at the elbows, hey presto lots of shiny new buffs.

Plus you've now got a gillet.

:D

+1

In my early teenage motorcycling days, neck tubes were a radical new idea and buffs hadn't even been thought of.

I found an old lambswool sweater in my Dad's wardrobe and chopped the arms off, the upper arms made warm and comfortable "buffs" :-)

(sorry Dad!)
    Misguided Idealist
  • @hatbeard.....your running partner in crime will be the one to ask this question tonight. between us we have about 10-12 buffs. I highly recommend the ones with reflective stripes on them :lol:
    I've only ever had buff buffs (not an imitation) and the one I've had the longest, about 8 years maybe, is still going strong so they're definitely worth the money.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    ketsbaia wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Gazzaputt wrote:

+1.

+2

Wore both yesterday. :shock:

LOL thought I was the only one who did that

Mrs Secret Sam and the little Secret Sams think I look a total plank in my 2 fake buffs but they do make a huge difference...plus that all important 'back to the '80s' look...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ketsbaia
    One round the neck, one round the ears. Can't find my skull cap from last winter, so the second buff's dealing with the cold head at the moment. Still get a chill from the peak, though.
  • hatbeard wrote:
    while we're on the topic of buffs and the OP has some top tips on cheap buffs can I just hijack this a little and ask if anyone has any experience with the merino wool ones? do they offer any noticeable benefit over the plain ones or is it a case of the marketing guys saying "hmm how can we make even more money out of a tube of fabric?" and someone saying "make it out of slightly more expensive material and charge double!".
    I have two (lost one then found it). They are twice as long, for some reason. No real need as far as I can tell. Obv. they don't smell as much, but if that isn't a problem with your buffs, then that is no big deal. When I bought them they were somewhat limited in colours, and those colours are duller, no patterns or reflectives.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    The military style headover neck tube can be had cheap at any mil-surplus/supplier style shop.
    I switched from fleecy headover to merino (chocholatefish) and they are less bulky, lighter, cosier and altogether better.
  • cjcp
    ketsbaia wrote:
    One round the neck, one round the ears. Can't find my skull cap from last winter, so the second buff's dealing with the cold head at the moment. Still get a chill from the peak, though.

Beanies or a cap will help.

I sweat a lot, so wear a cap and skull cap or beanie.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."