Which Of These Two.....

jame58rown
jame58rown Posts: 263
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
I have managed to narrow down my choice of road bike to two very good contestants. Some people may have read my earlier post about a CAAD9 with 105 for £600 and whether or not it was a good deal. Well it turns out that it's Tiagra :( ......but, i can get it for £500.

There is also a Brand new Fuji Roubaix 1.0 for £500 with 105 (and because it's special edition, the 105 is 2011) The CAAD9 is 9 months old, and the Fuji is still in it's packaging, not been assembled.

I can't decide between: good frame, but with Tiagra, and a frame that isn't as good, but with 2011 105. And I can't decide which one looks nicer either :( .

I really appreciate the help, I just want to get out and ride my bike up some hills :D Not worry about which is the best one to do it with.

Thanks.

Comments

• The CAAD 9 has the better frame, whilst the Fuji has the better gears, obviously, all depends whether you'll be spending the extra to upgrade the Cannondale in future. I've just got back into road cycling having spent £750 on a bike 6 months ago and am already seriously considering a new bike as the cost of upgrading would outweigh the cost of a new bike.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    CAAD.

I've got Tiagra on my Allez, and 105 on my Slice, I can't tell the difference between them, at all, so IMO you'd be better off with the better frame of the CAAD as you won't lose anything by getting Tiagra.

No need for the :( face for Tiagra, I bet anyone would be hard pushed to tell the difference between them.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Are you sure you can get a Fuji Roubaix with 105 for £500..??
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    I wouldn't mind knowing where this is from too Jame58rown :)
  • danowat
    Only Fuji Roubaix I can find around that price point is the 3.0 with sora on it.
  • they're classifieds, not from a shop. I know they're really good deals, that's why I'm planning on buying one of them.
  • softlad
    I would be careful fella - if something seems too good to be true, it often is......
  • PhilofCas
    a quick Google and I found it pretty easily (the Fuji), FWIW i'd go with the CAAD9, be quick otherwise you'll miss out
  • danowat
    PhilofCas wrote:
    a quick Google and I found it pretty easily (the Fuji),

The one on gumtree?, looks iffy.....
  • PhilofCas
    that's the one !, I'd agree on the iffy frontage,

to quote "Hey guys, just if your wondering this is not a stolen bike or used bike. I bought this bike at a very good price and what to sell it to gain profit as i am saving up for a motorbike", then he goes on to say " and it's exclusive to Evans Cycles."

steer clear Jame58rown
  • softlad
    http://www.gumtree.com/london/29/67191229.html

this one..?

Collection only - Lambeth is a long way from here James.. ;)
  • Yeh, I always thought the fuji looked dodgey.

I'm gonna stick my neckout here and put a link to the CAAD......BUT! i've emailed him to buy it (thanks for helping me choose :D ) So please don't email him offering a bit more.....I'll be heart broken :cry::wink:

http://aberdeen.gumtree.com/aberdeen/48 ... cture-zoom

Does this look safe to buy? I've never used gumtree before.

Thanks.
  • danowat
    Aberdeen!!! :shock:
  • softlad
    'much loved bike' - 9 months old and done less than 300 miles....hmmmm.....obviously didn't love it that much... ;)

Joking aside, at least the ad looks genuine......
  • I've sat back and tried to get this tunnel vision out of my brain, I'm not going to buy off of gumtree yet I'm going to wait and do some more research. I think I just got so fixed on buying a road bike that I through a bit of reasoning out of the window. :roll:

I'm sure you know what it's like.

I'll just use my bike thats too small for now. and see if I get any moneys for christmas :D .
    My shoulders are killing from riding my bike though :shock:

Gumtree just doesn't seem.... right :?
  • danowat
    As softlad says, the ad looks geninuine, the price is good, and if you don't mind the travel to get it (or he can post it), buy it.
  • softlad wrote:
    'much loved bike' - 9 months old and done less than 300 miles....hmmmm.....obviously didn't love it that much... ;)

Lol, thats what I thought :lol:

I'm gonna wait though, like I said, I just got bit rushed and thought "gotta buy a bike...gotta buy a bike...." :roll:

I'm sure another good deal will come around on ebay. but the more I loom at Gumtree the more I feel uneasy.
  • danowat wrote:
    As softlad says, the ad looks geninuine, the price is good, and if you don't mind the travel to get it (or he can post it), buy it.

Yeh, but I'm a bit of a wuss and don't wanna get scammed, I don't have much experiance buying second hand online. :oops:
  • softlad
    jame58rown wrote:

Lol, thats what I thought :lol:

I'm gonna wait though, like I said, I just got bit rushed and thought "gotta buy a bike...gotta buy a bike...." :roll:

I'm sure another good deal will come around on ebay. but the more I loom at Gumtree the more I feel uneasy.

james - put a post up on the club forum - you never know, someone local may have something...
  • danowat
    jame58rown wrote:
    danowat wrote:

Yeh, but I'm a bit of a wuss and don't wanna get scammed, I don't have much experiance buying second hand online. :oops:

I know how you feel, I felt the same when I brought mine, aslong as you are sensible, i.e. pick up and pay cash, or pay by paypal via a credit card, you'll be fine.

I brought my slice without even seeing it through an ad place on here.
  • As said, the Fuji does look a bit of a steal (literally)

The dale however looks like should be ok, more so if you are going to collect it!
  • I was going to send a bike courier and pay with PayPal. I can't imagine getting a lift to Aberdeen from my parents. :roll:

Softlad - I'll see how this guy replies and talk to him on the phone. If anythings iffy, then I'll put a post up on the club forum. :D