Cheapest bike possible?

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
I desperately need to find a new, cheap road bike to commute into work on. I haver £2-300 to spend - any recomendations on where to go?

Comments

• Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • I was looking to spend the same kind of figure a couple of months ago and went with the Decathlon Sport 1. I've been really pleased with it so far. I wanted something cheap because I hadn't ridden for years so I didn't want to spend a fortune on a bike and find I didn't enjoy it any more. I also didn't want to spend too much when the weather was about to change for the worse. So far I've only done 200 miles in the last month but that's down to me and not the bike. I'm still planning on treating myself to a new one next spring but that's because I'm enjoying riding the Sport 1 so much, I don't think I really need to replace it though. I started with a 12 mile commute but I've changed my route to increase it to 18.5 miles so I can be out for longer each day. I'd say that's a good sign.
  • I desperately need to find a new, cheap road bike to commute into work on. I haver £2-300 to spend - any recomendations on where to go?

Second hand - CW or other classified ads or ebay :wink:

Wouldn't buy new at that price range.
  • rando
    rando Posts: 285
    Second hand - CW or other classified ads or ebay :wink:

Wouldn't buy new at that price range.[/quote]

Problem with buying second hand is that if you do not know what you are looking for you could end up wasting you money on a heap of junk. I have been looking at ebay for the last few weeks hoping to get a decent bike but have no real idea on what bike is worth what money plus do not want to buy second hand and then have to take it to lbs for repairs just to get it on the road. Suppose it is like buying a second hand car - big gamble unless you buy from a garage with some warranty.

Also then are Decathlon or Raleigh bikes not worth considering ? It seems to me that you get much more for your money with these brands over the better known Trek/Giant/Specialized etc. Do people not buy Decathlon or Raleigh or Halfords bikes just out of brand snobbery or are their bikes really that bad ?
  • When I was buying I had the option of spending a little extra and getting a used bike. It would have been higher spec but not much. And as you say, if you don't know exactly what you are looking for it can lead to extra hassle and a trip to the LBS to put right. I decided to get the Sport One safe in the knowledge that if anything does go wrong or it turned out to be a total lemon I would be covered. The extra money I could have spent has gone on various extras such as new tyres and proper cycling clothing.
    I can totally understand why someone would rather pay around £400-500 and buy second-hand though. If you know what you are looking for and are confident with servicing it yourself there are some real bargains.
    Mine might be low spec but it does the job and even when I buy something nicer next year I'll still be keeping it as a winter bike.
  • For commuting & leisure the two I recommended are fine - similar standard to plenty of £400 bikes from the bigger brands & much better than the usual budget 'roadbike'.

As mentioned if you're lucky enough to find a lightly used Specialized Allez or Trek 1.1 etc. locally in the right size for £350 great but you may need to pay £400 or buy new chain, cassette & tyres depending on mileage.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • MarkS1980 wrote:
    I can totally understand why someone would rather pay around £400-500 and buy second-hand though. If you know what you are looking for and are confident with servicing it yourself there are some real bargains.

Exactly and I would add that it's not like buying a second hand car which has an engine and other hidden parts.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have rode a decathlon 7.1 sport (£250) to work and back for the last 3 years - fantastic value for money.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Decathlon do a single speed called the "Btwin Single One" for £80
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    It may be a long shot but look for a shop (or branch of a chain) closing down. I got 40% off my hybrid commuter doing this (300 instead of 500, few years ago now though)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    vorsprung wrote:
    Decathlon do a single speed called the "Btwin Single One" for £80

Sadly this bike is near the end of its life and no more stock is available.I'm hoping Decathlon France replace it with a newer model and not just delete it.

The Sport 1 is an excellent bike.I've recommended it to many people on here and not had any bad feedback from any of our customers.
    5 year frame warranty and a 2 year warranty against component failure, you don't get that with a second hand bike.