Gee-Whizz

nwallace
nwallace Posts: 1,465
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
Ok, I'm focusing directly on the safety aspect of the cars involved in these accidents and nothing else.

Also if you think pictures of mangled cars people died in will make you sick then dinnae click the links.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z13Ii3tCgR

That's a 40mph road, the "car" has split in half in the collision. Feck knows what the impact speed was, but that is car is in a horrendous state, compare the s

On the other hand look at the state of the 2 cars involved in this fatal accident, the b pillar and doors have been cut to get the occupants freed, however that will have been in excess of a 120mph collision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-11619619

Also remember it was the result of this test:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIs1DaxEcfs

That shamed Rover into pulling the Metro from production, it's fared better than than the G-Wizz did, not sure what speed that is at.

Would hate to see one of these tested now though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEbmPsukEHI

Although at 3 minuites, looks like it held together better than the G-Wizz even if still lethal
Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I have read of similar stories with the GWhizz in the past. What strikes me about the picture is that there are houses at the back of the photo. Is this a 30mph zone on the A41 I wonder?

I see theres some plum comments on there about how it physics and how you shouldnt be using a car like this, yadda yadda yadda.. I bet they'd say the same about cycles on normal roads.

Really makes you wonder what went wrong to cause this in the first place. I also think that if more people drove these cars they'd prolly take more care as a result. :? Seems like the world has lost a well-needed scientist.
  • nwallace
    edited October 2010
    downfader wrote:
    Really makes you wonder what went wrong to cause this in the first place. I also think that if more people drove these cars they'd prolly take more care as a result. :? Seems like the world has lost a well-needed scientist.

Don't have the details of the crash, it's the state the vehicle is in that is scary, especially compared to others (would be better if I had a picture of an Merc A class or Smart)

One thing I do wonder is whether it's the Octavia under that Tarp or if that's where the Dr was, she certainly wasn't with the remains of the car at the end of the accident.

Frontal damage isn't too bad, rear axel is still intact, so I'm going to guess at it being a T-Bone.
    Which would mean for a cyclist or motorcyclist being flipped onto the bonnet or over the vehicle.
    For the occupants of a car that passes EuroNCAP tests comfortably, a fairly rough ride but the side impact bars should prevent encroachment, the safety shell keeping everything bar the windows together, and unlikely to be fatal for most.

Someone crashed into the B-pillar of Dad's car this morning after losing control on a crest. He reckons impact speed with the offside was around 50mph, he says he had managed to stop in well in advance of the impact. Knackered running board, ding in B pillar and doors are bent, not much really considering.

Think the crest is at the burn and Dad was just over the railway
    http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=56.380 ... sty=s&eo=0
    Do Nellyphants count?

• downfader
    nwallace wrote:
    downfader wrote:

Don't have the details of the crash, it's the state the vehicle is in that is scary, especially compared to others (would be better if I had a picture of an Merc A class or Smart)

One thing I do wonder is whether it's the Octavia under that Tarp or if that's where the Dr was, she certainly wasn't with the remains of the car at the end of the accident.

Frontal damage isn't too bad, rear axel is still intact, so I'm going to guess at it being a T-Bone.
    Which would mean for a cyclist or motorcyclist being flipped onto the bonnet or over the vehicle.
    For the occupants of a car that passes EuroNCAP tests comfortably, a fairly rough ride but the side impact bars should prevent encroachment, the safety shell keeping everything bar the windows together, and unlikely to be fatal for most.

Must be T Boned to do that. I'd imagine the poor ladies remains were under the tarp. :( I could well imagine the drivers seat being sucked/forced out in such an impact and taking her with it.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    When I visited a motorbike shop (known to sell used bikes) several had red spots over them. And quite a few had these funny blood coloured spots :cry:
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • nwallace
    edited October 2010
    downfader wrote:
    Must be T Boned to do that. I'd imagine the poor ladies remains were under the tarp. :( I could well imagine the drivers seat being sucked/forced out in such an impact and taking her with it.

Sucked/Forced?
    The floor is gone where the seat was, which is what is really scary as the strength of a car shell comes from the rood and floor, the pillars are really just to hold the 2 together and provide side impact protection.

Edit: Sorry I've miss-judged the wheelbase with that, the drivers seat would have been on top of the batteries. So it's sheared at the point where the bulkhead would be in an ICE vehicle.

I think this is the first time I've seen a picture of a car wreck and felt even slightly sick at the state of it.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• Downfader can't make out exactly where that is although its not that far from me and I will have been up & down it often enough. . It could well be 40mph road with houses on it. The A406 north circular road has lengthy 40mph stretches with 10 foot of pavement then some poor souls front wall.
  • nwallace
    Info I got was A41 Hendon Way.

May be here
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=A41,+Gr ... 89,,0,0.71

I've just realised that black pole behind the wreck is traffic lights, and if it is where i've linked to, possibly gone through/over the barriers as well.

Head up the road a bit and you find rather large but possibly incorrectly repeated signs indicating it's a 40 zone.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• nwallace wrote:
    Info I got was A41 Hendon Way.

May be here
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=A41,+Gr ... 89,,0,0.71

I've just realised that black pole behind the wreck is traffic lights, and if it is where i've linked to, possibly gone through/over the barriers as well.

That's a 40mph limit road. If you do a 180 in the position the link gives, you will come across a speed limit sign. We were offered a house that close to the n Circ & refused it as it would have been to difficult to let and I work with homeless people.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    is anyone actually sure the crash caused all the damage?

By the time the Fire Brigade have finished with their hydraulic cutting equipment then the state of the car can look worse than it really was following the crash.

Still I wouldn't have though the fire brigade would have needed to cut it that much to get someone out, but I guess it depends on how they are trapped.

Any firemen on here?
  • Dazza2280
    Dazza2280 Posts: 156
    these things are ridiculous, shouldn't be allowed on the roads, they get round having to take part in crash tests by calling it a 'quadricycle' shows you just how far thats got them then!! Can you imagine if it was something bigger than that still that had hit her, a range rover would have just driven right through her!! Death traps!!!!!

all you need to know about how steady it is in a crash is right here from about a minute on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGp8Sha_mA
  • downfader
    Dazza2280 wrote:
    these things are ridiculous, shouldn't be allowed on the roads, they get round having to take part in crash tests by calling it a 'quadricycle' shows you just how far thats got them then!! Can you imagine if it was something bigger than that still that had hit her, a range rover would have just driven right through her!! Death traps!!!!!

all you need to know about how steady it is in a crash is right here from about a minute on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtGp8Sha_mA

Bikes offer no protection from impact. Would you ban those from the roads too? :?
  • nwallace
    schweiz wrote:

By the time the Fire Brigade have finished with their hydraulic cutting equipment then the state of the car can look worse than it really was following the crash.

Still I wouldn't have though the fire brigade would have needed to cut it that much to get someone out, but I guess it depends on how they are trapped.

Any firemen on here?

Pretty sure.
    Note that where the car is is marked out by police, so it's not been moved.
    The Near Side Rear is flat on the ground while the Offside Front is also on the ground but as normal, therefore the floor and roof have almost certainly failed in the accident and not been cut. (Also why would you cut the floor and roof, the roof normally comes off by cutting the A, B and C pillars, or in the case of a G-Wizz it would be the A and B pillars, although it looks like chances of needing that are nill)

The state you see that G-Whizz in is almost certainly the state it's momentum ran out.

Also there is a tarp set on the central refuge, which almost certainly means there is a body there and not in the wreckage.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    Leeds city council experimented with one - I told my wife not to use it, take our car and claim the mileage instead.

it didnt matter, within a few months the battery had died to such a level that even short trips were dodgy <20 miles range and you could not use the lights/wipers at all.

they ditched it and signed up to a car club scheme instead, I was glad

the quadracycle thing is a dangerous loophole which should be closed
  • nwallace
    It's also a bit duff that a normal Quad Bike is covered by a Car Licence not a Motorbike Licence, considering they are essentially motorbikes, although a specific test since the handling is totally different from cars and bikes may be more appropriate.
    Do Nellyphants count?

• Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    such a shame. she was doing her bit to try and cut pollution and she paid with her life.

These types cars are all very well but only if everyone suddenly adopts them. The G-wizz isn't though as it doesnt look safe to be involved in an accident with a push chair.

I am a big fan of the T25: http://www.gordonmurraydesign.com/t25.php

Hopefully they can make it safe.
  • nwallace
    The advantage Murray has, is he has a long history of producing very light and very strong cars out of Carbon Fibre...
    Do Nellyphants count?

• dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    I like the look of the T25 as well. There was a cake stop topic on it and most people on there didn't like it.

Murray has a purity of purpose that means anything he designs will do the task it's designed for perfectly. As opposed to things designed by committee that do lots of things tolerably well and nothing well let alone brilliantly.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    nwallace wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

Any firemen on here?

Pretty sure.
    Note that where the car is is marked out by police, so it's not been moved.
    The Near Side Rear is flat on the ground while the Offside Front is also on the ground but as normal, therefore the floor and roof have almost certainly failed in the accident and not been cut. (Also why would you cut the floor and roof, the roof normally comes off by cutting the A, B and C pillars, or in the case of a G-Wizz it would be the A and B pillars, although it looks like chances of needing that are nill)

The state you see that G-Whizz in is almost certainly the state it's momentum ran out.

Also there is a tarp set on the central refuge, which almost certainly means there is a body there and not in the wreckage.

+1

Not a firefighter but have seen enough people cut out of cars to know that what you are looking at is indeed crash damage...
    Rules are for fools.