Trouser Protection

Craig321
Craig321 Posts: 169
edited April 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Now that it's winter I've been looking for something to stop my trousers getting caught in my chain. I've already ruined a pair of jeans like this (luckily they were old and ripped already).

I've been looking at the Deuter Trousers Protector & the Brooks Trouser Strap which is basically a piece of material that straps round your leg using velcro, and also plastic trouser clips (not sure about them).

The clips look pretty good for something cheaper, but really do look like they'll just snap off the first time my leg goes anywhere near the chain and end up chewing up my trousers anyway.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Lycra leggings under shorts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Craig321
    I'm not really one to get dressed to go cycling, I like to just put my bag & gloves on and leave.

Mountain biking + Lycra don't suit each other either :P
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Neither do jeans, especially in winter. Thick heavy and will stay wet for months.
    Or just tuck them in your socks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Craig321
    True. I wear shorts as much as possible, but when it gets below 0°C then I'm going to want to wear some trousers!

I have been looking into getting myself some light weight waterproof trousers, but will still have the problem of them getting caught in the chain. I really hate wearing tight clothes, so that's out of the question unfortunately.

Is something like the Deuter Trouser Protector / Brooks Trouser Strap the only thing that'll really work in my case?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Can't quite believe I'm weighing in to a thread about trouser clips, but I have some of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23571

They, you know, keep my trousers out of the chain. And they go in my pocket when I take them off. Sorted. Also they're reflective or fluro.

But maybe there is another trouser clip out there that has a better spec.
  • cooldad
    I've got some of these lying around from a charity ride but never used them.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=16921

Nick's advice is the best idea. Almost impossible to stay dry without sweating like a pig, so trying to stay warm is better than trying to stay dry.
    Lycra works. When it's really cold I cover it with a pair of cheap trackpants.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Lycra is the future. If it goes wet, lycra pants dry fast. They are warmer than emo-kid jeans, nice on the skin and don't have these troubles mentioned before. Lycra pants+shorts is the way to go mister.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • cooldad
    popstar wrote:
    Lycra is the future. If it goes wet, lycra pants dry fast. They are warmer than emo-kid jeans, nice on the skin and don't have these troubles mentioned before. Lycra pants+shorts is the way to go mister.

So nice on the skin you might even shave your legs and become a roadie.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    There is nothing as chaffing as wet denim....

Ok, so if thats how you get your kicks go for it, but lycra leggings as so much more comfortable- just shove shorts over the top and you have warm legs and no fabric in the chain!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Have I missed something here? Why can't you just tuck your trouser leg in your sock? :?

Personally though, I wear 3/4 baggies, with lycra under them. Best of both worlds then.
  • Buy some cycling trousers, look like combats but are tailored to keep your leg out of your chainset
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... gn=froogle
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • sdas777
    sdas777 Posts: 29
    get a chainguard, if you're intent on wearing non bike clothing? they look okay and weigh nowt now.
    Specialized Stumpjumper HT
    Giant Defy
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Or a pashley with a chain and skirt guard...

Perhaps get some decent cycling trousers, there are plenty around with ankle straps so you can keep one side tight and out of the way.

Personally just wear lycra and shorts / 3/4 lengths, it works better, you stay at the right temperature and you'll accept that as a mtber you look like an idiot most of the time anyway so why bother.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Slap wraps are the one. You can keep them attached to the bike when you're not using them.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Slap wraps are the one. You can keep them attached to the bike when you're not using them.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • I use either a pair of Endura Singletrack trousers:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=19051

Or as mentioned by others, shorts with lycra underneath
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    benpinnick wrote:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228860

£2.99 at Halfords - and on BuyOne get one 1/2 Price... they act like trouser clips, but are also hi-viz - and they don't need any fastening
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Foobies
    Foobies Posts: 134
    Pull your socks up, wear cheap"Chavez trakkie bottumz" or just MTFU?
    2019 Bianchi Oltre XR4
    2016 Bianchi Ethanol
    2015 Bianchi via nirone 7

2018 Boardman ADV 8.9
  • mijimon
    mijimon Posts: 1
    ok guys, i've just invented something that'll take care of this problem and looks pretty cool (gonna look better than clips, straps or tucking into socks at least :lol: ). Cant say too much yet as i'm still doing some field work, but soon as that's done and I get the patent, i'll let you know.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just go double and bash, the bash will act as a trouser guard!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.