MTB rear suspension system

Skiziridis
Skiziridis Posts: 15
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Right boys and maybe girls,

I hope this is the right place to post this.
As I am doing a project on designing a rear suspension system for a MTB , I would like to ask you if it is possible , to send me your views and your needs from a rear suspension system . I would really appreciate it! It doesnt matter if you ride downhill XC etc.. many thanks!!

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    multi link system incorporating a remote lock out system.
    scott use a system that locks the shock but its a pull shock, so designing something that remotely mechanically locks the rear end so you can have a choice of rear shocks would be good?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • you just gave me a good idea mate i might include that..i am looking for various needs , eg lightweight, allows sensitivity adjustment etc. whatever you like to have on a rear suspension actually!
  • VWsurfbum
    well remember me when your rich :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    single sided swingarm 100mm travel frame. To go with the lefty...
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Simple, protects the shock from crud like Marin's quad link II. Big bearings so its reliable, doesn't put too much force on the shock so it doesn't need loads of compression damping.

Some kind of mechanical lockout would be nice too, but I can't think of an easy way to implement it.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would like a rear suspension platform with 100-150mm adjustable rear travel and geometry, moderately rear axle path, no pedal feedback, no bob at minimal extra weight and a slight net tendancy to extend under braking.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I want a rear suspension system that has a rearward axle path, but zero chaingrowth, meaning no pedal kickback. I also want no pedal induced bobbing.
    And 247mm of rear travel, progressively sprung.
  • Anonymous
    oops, my bad, I meant 240.7mm of rear travel, not 247mm, obviously :oops:
  • supersonic
    Also prefer an instant centre migration curve to start out just above the front axle and end up near the BB.
  • VWsurfbum
    supersonic wrote:
    I would like a rear suspension platform with 100-150mm adjustable rear travel and geometry, moderately rear axle path, no pedal feedback, no bob at minimal extra weight and a slight net tendancy to extend under braking.
    close?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Also prefer an instant centre migration curve to start out just above the front axle and end up near the BB.
    Funny that. I'd prefer it to start off near the handlebar clamp of the stem, then arc down through the bb, then to within a few mms from the rear axle. That should give good consistency.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I want a rear suspension system that has a rearward axle path, but zero chaingrowth, meaning no pedal kickback. I also want no pedal induced bobbing.

there was a motorised AM bike in the news section of BR a month ago or so... Seemed a bit cr@p apart from a cog on the frame that took the chain to the virtual pivot location first. Seen a few of these chain guides on old GTs, Brooklyns I think... maybe a Nicolai too?

I'm sure there is an old tank of a DH bike fulfilling this :lol:
  • Personally, I just want it to feel fast. I want to be able to pedal hard across roots and rocks and keep the rear wheel connected to the ground for maximum power transfer, without sending too much feedback into the pedals.

I have ridden nearly every suspension system out there and only a handful come anywhere near their claims. The only two that come to mind are the Trek ABP/full floater/DRCV system and the Giant Maestro.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Anonymous

there was a motorised AM bike in the news section of BR a month ago or so... Seemed a bit cr@p apart from a cog on the frame that took the chain to the virtual pivot location first. Seen a few of these chain guides on old GTs, Brooklyns I think... maybe a Nicolai too?

I'm sure there is an old tank of a DH bike fulfilling this :lol:
    Putting the drive at the pivot point, virtual or not, achieves nothing though.
    It adds insane complexity and gains nothing that cannot be done through simpler means.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    It adds insane complexity and gains nothing that cannot be done through simpler means.

Why not? Surely you get no extension in chain length so the shock can do its thing?
  • supersonic
    True, but it completetly changes the levels of anti squat.
  • Anonymous

because the drive sprocket will be offset from the pivot axis, causing a moment in one direction.
    Even when the chain actually passes through the pivot point, there will be a moment induced.
  • I'm a rider, not an engineer, but I understand a little about chain growth and axle paths. One thing that bothers me, if you have a rearward axle path, how do you avoid chain growth? Surely the two are part and parcel?
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • supersonic
    Indeed ;-)

Assuming the general sort of geometries we see.
  • Anonymous
    supersonic wrote:
    Assuming the general sort of geometries we see.
    :wink:
  • hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    a frame that weighs 500g, has 50-300mm travel, is strong enough to huck off the empire state building and live, no chaingrowth or pedal bob, and costs £50.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    edited October 2010
    im gonna be slightly realistic and ask for a 150mm twin link design, like vpp, dw etc, with a rearward axle path,no chain growth, very minimal pedal bob, and a rising rate thats supple but firm pedaling beggining of the stroke, nice and tight in the middle and bottomless feeling at the end, all built around a frame with a 66ish degree headangle, low bb and preferably carbon and weighing under 6lbs :)
  • hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    if you actually have to make this, what he said ^
  • Anonymous
    :lol:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    :? bloody hell rear suspension is complicated!

I think you guys have scared the original poster off with your crazy talk!