Turning off the Traffic Lights.

gethmetal
gethmetal Posts: 208
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this has already been posted, but I found it very interesting - and not what I would have expected to happen...

http://www.wimp.com/trafficlights/

Comments

• nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Now try that in London 'n watch the colourful language fly :D

If I had a car, I don't think I'd like to be part of this experiment :?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It's been tried in Brizzle at some TLs with some success. Some TLs it won't work at, bit like Londonium, some will work, some won't work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    Ahahaha, I agree London would be a step too far... but I think the point it raises about 'equality' over 'priority' is a very good one. And you can't argue that two minor shunts in eight months is impressive - although a direct comparison with the last eight months of traffic control would have given a clearer picture.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    The lights at Chelsea Bridge were out tonight. It seems to be a fairly common occurence of late. I love it. Filter up to the front then when a car or whatever starts moving over just stay alongside it. Loads less waiting and you avoid the starters grid feeling as the cars try to make up for lost time by racing to the next queue 50 yards along the road. I wish they'd do it more often.
  • They've removed a few lights from High Street Kensington, works pretty well. I have to admit I'm surprised by that video - like the town's residents I'd presumed there'd be chaos.
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    Hmm, looked a bit scary at 1:20, I thought, but I can't really argue with the stats.

I wonder how well this works in lower visibility; couldn't they just have used a roundabout?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I've seen it happen at quite a few sets of lights that seem to fail regularly for some strange reason.

Always less congestion when the lights are off. Could be the future.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    This would put an end to RLJers :shock:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Kurako wrote:
    The lights at Chelsea Bridge were out tonight. It seems to be a fairly common occurence of late. I love it. Filter up to the front then when a car or whatever starts moving over just stay alongside it. Loads less waiting and you avoid the starters grid feeling as the cars try to make up for lost time by racing to the next queue 50 yards along the road. I wish they'd do it more often.

When that's happened in the past it's fine for a couple of days - lots of Christian motoring, everyone taking care and stopping to let others out.

After about two days that all goes out of the window and chaos sets in!
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    The traffic lights often fail at Amen Corner, and the traffic seems to manage for a few days till its repaired.

Last night, though, a crossing just up the road failed. No chance for pedestrians.
    Riding on 531
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    As good a time as any to bring this one up - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_YV3Cru7aE
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    W1 wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

When that's happened in the past it's fine for a couple of days - lots of Christian motoring, everyone taking care and stopping to let others out.

After about two days that all goes out of the window and chaos sets in!
    The shock of the new fades very quickly!

The lights were still out when I went through. I saw the lack of lights from the foot of the slope and went into chaos-sensing, hyper-awareness mode. All was in vain coz it was a very civilised passage through the junction :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides