Dead 705!!!

drewfromrisca
drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
edited October 2010 in Workshop
I'm devastated, my Garmin 705 has just died for no reason at all whilst I was on the training center and now won't even re-start. I'm finding loads of horror stories about the 3.2 software ruining units and I'm worried that this will happen with mine. One big problem is that I can't find the receipt from when I purchased it. I'm screwed aren't I?!?!
There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Call 0808 238 0000 Monday – Friday: 8:30 AM – 17:30 PM Western European Time (GMT/UTC) with your dead Edge in your mitts and Garmin will be of help. Mine is with them at the mo but the turn around time is approx 2 weeks.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • God I bloody hope so!!! This software update sounds like it's cost them a lot of hassle and cash!!!

• Cheers montydog, tried it. It seems there has been an issue with system update which has killed a lot of 705's.

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You can revert back to 3.1 firmware by downloading it, renaming it to the current firmware and loading it onto your Garmin.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • It's not even recognising when I connect it up to my mac. I think its dead.

• Drew when you say
    It's not even recognising when I connect it up to my mac. I think its dead.
    Do you mean that the unit will switch on and work correctly on the bike but just not communicate with your mac?

If that is the case then I may have had a similar problem, albeit with a pc, and after a bit of research managed to correct it (possibly temporarily :?: ).

When you connect the unit (switched off) to your computer does it boot up as if it was switched on normally (ie go to the satellite acquisition screen)? If so hit the OFF button until you get the "connected to a computer" graphic on the front screen (I think it takes two goes). Alternatively you can use BootBlock, which is holding the joystick in the UP position while you connect the switched off unit to the computer (this can be a bit tricky for the hand-eye coordination challenged among us).

Once you've got the unit in the connected state, you should be able to look at the contents of the unit using whatever your mac uses instead of Windows Explorer. In my case there were two removable drives, one was the microSD card with the maps on and the other the unit's internal 1GB flash drive (older units have a 500MB drive I believe). This second drive, when selected, gave an error message saying it needed to be formatted. After checking on the web, and removing the SD card to avoid accidents, I formatted the drive, and hey presto! the unit started working again. OK, I'd lost all my settings, but I'd have needed to do that with a new unit anyway.

I, obviously, take no responsibility if you try this and it b*ggers up your Edge.

Hoping this helps.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • cheers for help but its gone off to garmin this morning. it jus wouldnt turn on whatsoever. cheers anyway.

• Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    cheers for help but its gone off to garmin this morning. it jus wouldnt turn on whatsoever. cheers anyway.
    Mine has also died although I have not loaded any new software. I have assumed it is the battery pack. Would you let me know the outcome with yours.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Old Tuggo wrote:
    cheers for help but its gone off to garmin this morning. it jus wouldnt turn on whatsoever. cheers anyway.
    Mine has also died although I have not loaded any new software. I have assumed it is the battery pack. Would you let me know the outcome with yours.

I believe they will fix an out of warranty unit for a flat fee of 70 odd quid. However, I've sent back 2 units in the past (a 305 and a 705) without any receipts and have got a new unit back on both occasions, without being charged.
  • I'm awaiting contact from Garmin, they received my 705 so hopefully it's fixable.