Dented Top Tube Trek 1.9 safe or not???

djm778
djm778 Posts: 42
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Small compression dent to top tube of trek 1.9 alu frame (from being held in work stand whilst bb adjusted).

I am thinking of using this as an opportunity to upgrade my frame or at least replace it with something similar for the winter (been looking at the Planet X SL Team Alu Frame).

Trying to decide if to claim through my Cycleguard insurance or just put it down to experience and do a deal with my LBS who did the damage.

Anyway - workshop question is that the dent is small (can’t photograph because of the frame colour - it doesn’t show) what is the party line on damage of this kind - how safe is the frame - how much is frame integrity affected?

Hope this is the right forum for this!

Comments

• Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Did the LBS do the damage?

Id want another frame out of them
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If there's no crease or crack, don't worry about it
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I think you need to tell the bike shop to pull their finger out. If I were you i'd be insisting that they either replace it or at the very least send it back to the manufacturer at their expense for them to either fix or at least saftey check.

I would imagine it's perfectly safe to ride but that's not the point. if you took your car in for a service and they dented it you'd expect them or their insurers to pay, why should this be any different?
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • edjo
    edjo Posts: 50
    if the LBS did this, and you can prove that, then their insurance should be used to cover the frame replacement as they're responsible for the damage.
    as for safety, as Monty put, if it's not creased, it should be fine.
    if you're going to continue to use this LBS, suggest that you re-direct their usage of their workstand as this should never happen and, imagine, if it was your carbon frame.