Bikes to ride before you die.

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Seeing the MBUK Zaskar up for sale again has got me thinking of popular revered bikes.

Anyone have any suggestions for great bikes to try before your cycling days are numbered?
[/u]
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• I already ride them...or will do shortly.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Whyte PRST-1 or it's derivatives.
    Ugly as sin, but the front suspension action was meant to be the best around. It has to fall into that "needs to be ridden" category.
  • The Whyte PRST-1 or it's derivatives.
    Ugly as sin, but the front suspension action was meant to be the best around. It has to fall into that "needs to be ridden" category.

Very much so.

I'd also like to ride a team spec Intense M9 or Sindicate V10 or similar, properly set up for me by a pro team, just to see what a DH bike COULD be like if you have all the money in the world to spend on one.

I would also say a full carbon top-spec roadbike, but I got to try a couple of those at Bikeradar Live, hated it too. :lol:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    the new steel version of Jones' Ti spaceframe effort, thing.

curiosity has me.
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    The Yeti that John Tomac used in the 1990 worlds

tuckerTomac_Yeti_Final_1ws.jpg

:D
    I'm not old I'm Retro
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    The mid nineties Manitou FS...

20100609botmmay201001nutallabrotmanitoufs.jpg

Or that Tomac Raleigh / Litespeed

Tomac.jpg

I'm sure they'd both be dreadful, but I'd like a go on one all the same as they were the bikes I lusted after as a teenager (just)...
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    This cuz its absolutely crazy :D
    mpbpic1845576.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Raleigh Activator 2. You have to eat bitter to taste sweet
    Uncompromising extremist
  • This...... although I don't think Thule do a carrier for them.......
    tr.jpg
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    jonnyc2420 wrote:
    This...... although I don't think Thule do a carrier for them.......

Course they do :lol:

vw-roof-rack-01.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I’d love to ride (and own!!) an original Chas Roberts Dog’s Bolx – wanted one so badly as a 16 year old. Do they still make them to order does anyone know? This thread has got me thinking about asking them to do one as a SS with disc mounts and 120mm fork capacity...............
  • Anonymous
    andyrm wrote:
    I’d love to ride (and own!!) an original Chas Roberts Dog’s Bolx...
    thinking about asking them to do one as a SS with disc mounts and 120mm fork capacity
    That wouldn't be a dogs bolx though would it?

That's like saying I'd love to see them re-introduce the lotus sunbeam, but with 4-wheel drive system from a lancer, the engine from a veyron, and the chassis and body of an Aston martin Vanquish.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    andyrm wrote:
    I’d love to ride (and own!!) an original Chas Roberts Dog’s Bolx...
    thinking about asking them to do one as a SS with disc mounts and 120mm fork capacity
    That wouldn't be a dogs bolx though would it?

That's like saying I'd love to see them re-introduce the lotus sunbeam, but with 4-wheel drive system from a lancer, the engine from a veyron, and the chassis and body of an Aston martin Vanquish.

Good point well made – I guess it would be a kind of modern day twist that adds to the original coolness. A bit like the people dropping 2.2 Boxer engines into VW campers. Not original spec, not to standard, but ultimately very nice.......
  • Anonymous
    very nice, but not, essentially, the same thing.

With something like the dogs bolx though, it would be something totally different, because the geometry, which as I see it, is the heart and soul of a frame, would have to be changed significantly.
    Oh, and you need shooting for suggesting singlespeed outside of the BMX world, doubly so for turning a once great bike into a SS travesty :lol:
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertscyc ... 051577183/

Had a D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X, for a while (1990), sold it and got a Dave Yates Diablo
    I'm not old I'm Retro