Share your post-ride cleaning/maintenance regime

mplayer78
mplayer78 Posts: 24
edited October 2010 in Workshop
As the weather starts to turn we all start to find that even going out in the dry seems to result in the bike coming back covered in bike crap so what does everyone do after going out. I will normally just run a towel over the bike to get off the worst of the muck & pretty much dry it. Ill also run the chain through a cloth to get the worst of the chain muck off. What do y'all else do?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I also use Muc Off after rinsing and then rinse/dry that off too. I got into the habit after last winter and all the salt that was on the roads (before it ran out, obviously). If it is a dry ride I don't really bother though.

However, I always use baby wipes on the braking surface of the rims (and also the chainstay) and then dry off.

Chain maintenance I treat separately, as in regularly lube and wipe off excess and then clean completely/re-lube about once a month.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Put bike in shed.

Have a shower.

This is why I have a winter bike with full mudguards, so I dont have to fanny around with baby wipes on me braking surfaces every time I use it, which is 6 days a week.

The end.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I got fed up with cleaning my bike on cold wet winter days, so i got married and now i have a wife to do the cleaning. But if the wife is busy in the garden digging holes or something... i use a hand brush with hot water and rinse with cold water, give it a towel down and then apply a good coating of WD40. some folk don't do the WD thing but its always worked for me.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Just be careful she's not out digging a hole 6 foot long and 6 foot deep with a strange self satisfied smile on her face...
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Put bike in shed.

Have a shower.

This is why I have a winter bike with full mudguards, so I dont have to fanny around with baby wipes on me braking surfaces every time I use it, which is 6 days a week.

The end.

hey, I was going to say that... ;)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Really depends how mucky it is and how much time I've got. If I come in at night then at most I'll spray some wd40 on the chain if it's wet and I remember. If I think it's not too bad I'll just leave it - if it's really cacked up and I've got time I'll fill a bucket with water and bike shampoo and get the worst off then lube the chain. Every so often if it really needs it I'll do a more thorough job.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Hang dirty bike up in garage. Shower and stuff my face.

Next week, remember dirty bike and take the clean one next to it instead.

After 5 weeks resign myself that I need to clean 6 dirty bikes!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • silverpigeon
    silverpigeon Posts: 327
    edited October 2010
    After each ride I spend at least two hours stripping the bike down to the bare frame, which I respray. Then carefully clean and re-grease all bolts and threads. Finally I re-assemble and give the bike a rub down with a fluffy towel.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    If it's got wet then I at least wipe the chain and lubricate it (usually the following evening). If it hasn't then probably only every other ride.

Every 100-150 miles I'll give the chain a more thorough wipe. I'll also wash the frame if it's filthy. Finally wipe the frame with a rag and a bit of spray polish to stop the dirt sticking.

I only do 50-100 miles a week in 2 or 3 rides and the bike is still new so I expect I'll get bored of all the cleaning soon enough! Although when my wife is working a shift and I'm babysitting cleaning is as near as I can get to riding :(
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Clean chain thoroughly.
    Apply muck off to whole bike.
    Hose down bike
    Wipe bike clean and dry with a clean cloth
    dry chain, lube and wipe off excess
    clean rims and spokes of wheels with completely clean cloth

I occasionally omit first and last steps