dhb earnley roubaix leg warmers

JimmyK
JimmyK Posts: 712
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
ive been considering these for use with existing shorts , as opposed to buying padded tights. ive no idea how to size them though :? im 5 ft 9 inches , wear size 36 trousers and around my thigh is 56 cm in circumference. my wife said they would be useless and be like a pair of suspenders continually slipping down. would this be the case or not ? also what size should i get s/m or L/XL ? do leg warmers actually work or are you better off with new tights ?

Comments

• JimmyK
    nobody able to offer any advice :shock:
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    They are nothing like Suspenders...

Suspenders are pretty lightweight, and designed to not grip tightly (so no VPL type line).

Warmers are more substantial, have a bit more weight and grip and also the grippers on your shorts, and your shorts help hold them up too.

Having said that i'm currently buying cheap longs - cos in winter a few pairs is very useful - if you can find sale items in your size they can be about the same price as some warmers
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    go for the DHB bibtights in my opinion.

even if you size the roubaix leg warmers correectly you will still get cold thighs as you mix them with st.d lycra shorts - not worth it - get the tights and save the wear on your shorts till spring.
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    gkerr4 wrote:
    go for the DHB bibtights in my opinion.

even if you size the roubaix leg warmers correectly you will still get cold thighs as you mix them with st.d lycra shorts - not worth it - get the tights and save the wear on your shorts till spring.

+1 for the above and you have the choice of padded or un-padded
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Leg warmers are a great option
    I'd go L/XL as you don't want them too tight
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    JimmyK wrote:
    ive been considering these for use with existing shorts , as opposed to buying padded tights. ive no idea how to size them though :? im 5 ft 9 inches , wear size 36 trousers and around my thigh is 56 cm in circumference. my wife said they would be useless and be like a pair of suspenders continually slipping down. would this be the case or not ? also what size should i get s/m or L/XL ? do leg warmers actually work or are you better off with new tights ?

I don't know DHB's sizing, but I'd go for S/M. My thighs are 71cm round, and I use a size L/XL in Santini.

They are a good purchase, as they offer you the ability to remove them if you get warm during the ride.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    I own a pair of the DHB leggings in S/M.

I'm 5ft9.5 and my thighs are about 60cm around - they fit me really well. They're quite long and come up quite high on my thighs, but that means almost my whole leg is covered by the material and there's a few inches overlap between them and the bottom of my shorts, so I don't have to worry about them falling down.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend them. The fit's good and they're not too tight. I wore them yesterday morning on a 3hour ride around Surrey (7C to 10C I think) and my legs weren't cold at all.

Not bad for £13! :)
  • JimmyK
    so for 56cm round the thigh, should i opt for s/m or l/xl ?

my full bib gores are size XL btw .

with me being a 5 ft 9 shortars, would s/m not be the obvious selection for me ?
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    In my experience, DHB clothing sizes up very big.....or at least not as small as stuff by Giordana etc!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    JimmyK wrote:
    so for 56cm round the thigh, should i opt for s/m or l/xl ?

my full bib gores are size XL btw .

with me being a 5 ft 9 shortars, would s/m not be the obvious selection for me ?

Jimmy - have you read the replies so far????

The post above yours by Cubic clearly says that he has similar sized legs to you, is the same height as you, and uses a pair of S/M.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Shorts or bibknickers and leg warmers are ideal for autumn riding. Not cold enough for full bib tights yet, so I find them invaluable.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've started using unpadded waist tights (DHB Pace) this year and they work really well under bib shorts. Don't think I'll use leg warmers again.
    More problems but still living....
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    I bought some after trying them on in store at Evans' and glad I did as the sizing would have been a complete balls up. Im short but very stocky especially around the thighs and had to go for a Large otherwise the tops dont get much over my kneecap.

I used a voucher taking 20% off last winter or something which dropped them into online bargain prices.

Overall I would agree with others that say buy proper long tights as after alot of miles they tend to slip down and can still be cold in severe weather around the groin region.

:)
  • Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    I have 2 pairs of the DHB leg warmers which I wear with the Finchdean brushed bib shorts and they are plenty warm - S/M defo sounds like right size for you
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10