Which mudguards

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
Ok so finally going to plunge into getting some mudguards for my fixie but would actually prefer so old style silver ones as the bike is new but a retro look and dont want black plastic ones

currently have 700x25 tyres on

its the trek in my sig

thanks in advance

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    Silver SKS Blumels? (I think that is how you spell it)
    Steve C
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Anyone have any recommendations for the Genesis Day One? Looking to add guards for my new 10 mile commute through the technical terrain of surrey (RAFLMAOAMOJ). Aldo any aluminuim rack recommendations too would be helpful. Tyres are 700 x 35.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • SKS full length P35 guards are nice. I've got the version with the mudflap. You need clearance for them under your forks and seatstays and bolt mountings on frame/fork.
    I run them on 25mm tyres. Come in black or silver versions.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    As note above SKS are very good. Better still, more expensive, but nicer quality, are the stainless steel ones by Gilles Berthoud. Berthoud also makes (quite expensive!) full length carbon fibre mudguards as well. All of these come in a wide range of widths for tyre clearances.

Tubus racks are nice.
  • symo
    Unfortunately the SKS p35 don't seem to be rated for a 35 cyclocross tyre. At the moment I am running the genesis supplied Conti Speed King 35c and I like the extra resistance they give on the road.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Andy83 - The Gilles Berthoud stainless steel ones would give you the retro look you are thinking of - aside from the fact that they are great mudguards. And not made of black plastic.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    Silver finish, easy, buy Halfords mudguards, I have these on all three bikes, they are fine, now roughen them with sandpaper (or whatever it is called these days, glass paper) and chose a colour from Kevin Coopers, job done.

I found that three good coats is enough to last a year, with some to spare.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    SKS Chromoplastics.
    Available in several sizes and two colours to suit all your bike-matching requirements.

Just fitted a set of black P35s to my Pompino with loads of clearance to spare, even with 28mm tyres.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    Andy83 - The Gilles Berthoud stainless steel ones would give you the retro look you are thinking of - aside from the fact that they are great mudguards. And not made of black plastic.

Is the correct answer!
    Metal is the new plastic - go French, go Gilles Berthoud.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    thanks for the replies

ill see what the bank balance says on payday after bills etc but the Gilles Berthoud do look nice
  • symo
    Despite my new overinflated-soon-to-be-salary I am going to try the SKS P35 in the largest size they do to get over me cyclo cross knobblies.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• Not wishing to thread hijack, but I give up on fitting the front guard to my Sirrus Elite... Any tips?

I've got the SKS chromoplastic 45mm ones (got them with the bike on c2w). Fitted the rear one ok without much stay trimmage.

I've worked out that I need to trim the stays on the front guard but that's not the issue. The problem is getting the bolt through the fork (just above/behind the brake). The Sirrus front fork is quite thick and the bolt they supplied is just about too short. Also, the washers are too small for the hole (where the bolt will come through) so would just fall into the fork.

I assume it's nothing more complicated than getting a longer bolt and a bigger washer from a local DIY shop or something? Was thinking of getting my LBS to finish the job but if it's just that, I might do it myself. Mind you, the LBS might have the single bolt & washer, rather than buying a whole pack!
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • symo
    edited October 2010
    Has anyone got any opinions on these Zefal Guards,
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Zefal ... 360043658/
    which are available in a 700 x 45 size which should be enough to get over my 700 35mm knobblies. I should add SKS also do a 45mm size available in black through wiggle.
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    Blandiblub wrote:

I've worked out that I need to trim the stays on the front guard but that's not the issue. The problem is getting the bolt through the fork (just above/behind the brake). The Sirrus front fork is quite thick and the bolt they supplied is just about too short. Also, the washers are too small for the hole (where the bolt will come through) so would just fall into the fork.

Yup - I had exactly the same problem fitting SKS Chromoplastics to my Sirrus - I had to get a longer bolt for the front fork. I ended up getting it online as I wanted a bolt with an Allen head to match the other bolts (size M5, I think) and my local DIY barn didn't stock these. I can't remember where I got them from but googling should come up with a few places. They did sell bolts singly but at a high price per bolt so your LBS may oblige if they are friendly.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:

Is the correct answer!
    Metal is the new plastic - go French, go Gilles Berthoud.

Agreed, see the Orbea, below. Lovely guards, have had people commenting on how they look like they came with the bike.