Measuring sit bones.

garrynolan
garrynolan Posts: 560
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi, I'll be looking for a new saddle soon (Chrissy prezzie). The one I have is OK but can get a bit uncomfortable - nothing too bad but enough to be annoying. Anyways... is there a way to measure the sit bones to get a saddle to fit better? I'm in Dublin and I haven't found out yet if I'll be able to do any test rides before buying. Any advice welcome. Thanks very much. G.
Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
exercise.png

Comments

• carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    I think Specialized saddle stockists will offer a a sit bone measuring service. Chances are you're a 143mm. Have a ring round your LBS's.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Put ink or black water based paint on your arse in the sit bone areas then sit on a piece of paper with your feet on a pile of books. Measure the impressions.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Put ink or black water based paint on your ars* in the sit bone areas then sit on a piece of paper with your feet on a pile of books. Measure the impressions.

If you get a black circle then a brown one then another black one then you probably forgot to wipe your bum.
  • Thanks for the replies... I think :?
    exercise.png
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I was being serious. It's what I did much to my wife's amazement. She framed the print and hung it on the wall!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • No worries - it did sound plausible, though a bit messy. Thanks again.
    exercise.png