Slight imbalance on my bike...

mattward1979
mattward1979 Posts: 692
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Hey all,

When you are riding and look straight down, is your eyeline exactly in line with your stem?

I noticed this today, and it seems to have gotten worse, but when I look down the stem is defintely to the left, so basically I can see the spokes of the right side of my front wheel, but not the left.

My seat is straight, I dont "feel" wrong riding like this and if I adjust my position so that I am directly over the stem, it feels like I am leaning away from the bike...

Is there anything I can check on the bike to ensure that it is nothing hardware related before booking a spine straightening session at my local backstreet spine straightener?
exercise.png

Comments

• Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Perhaps your left eye has gone slightly lazy. If the right predominates too much you can get this paralax error. To check the stem, stand at the front with the front wheel trapped between your legs and line the stem up with your top tube. Then go see your optician.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • already tried the old one eye closed then the other...

With my left Eye closed, I see the side of the stem, and the spokes of my wheel, with the right eye closed, I see 100% stem.. as if im slightly across to one side....
    exercise.png
  • YouGuys.jpg

:D:wink:
    couldn't resist
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    ha ha !

I was thinking of the 'pale man' in Pan's Labyrinth (saw it last night on Film 4)

pale.jpg
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Lol I can assure you my face is a normal shape and my eyes aren't In my hands =)
    exercise.png
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    This happened to me once - the bike seemed to be weirdly lopsided and it took me ages to figure out what happened. A hard slam to the side thanks to a clipless moment pushed the handlebars about 2cm to the left. I might never have noticed if I hadn't idly looked at the design on the handlebars and saw there was too much of it poking out on one side!