Seriously?????

AndyOgy
AndyOgy Posts: 579
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
I was just browsing Wooly Hat Shop and I saw this:

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Power-Bala ... _2810.html

Now, am I being sceptical or can a rubber band with a hologram really make you harder, faster, stronger etc?

I don't really watch telly or read newspapers. Has there been some sort of scientific breakthrough that I'm unaware of?

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's epic fail, as are those who buy it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    It's epic fail, as are those who buy it.

:lol:

:oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I just bought a compression top from Max Gear because the price was excellent and the kit looks decent quality. I don't give a shred of credence to their 'ion power' hokum, though.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    How Long Does It Last? The holograms are designed to last indefinitely.

They missed a trick there, they should last a few months or at least cross sell some homeopathic remedies. Should we redo SamWise's 'Reasons why I'm faster than you' post to include wearing a Power Rangers hologram?

the_economic_argument.png
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Explains why the Cardiff Blues went down 16 to 10 on Friday then :lol:

This sort of rubbish really gets my goat - hey, let's market one made out of super diluted copper with embedded rare earth magnets and inscribed with Ankhs, bloody hell, you wouldn't even have to put it on. Something that powerful would turn a nonegarian into Linford Christie just by looking at it.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Applying the flip side, certain sports require intense concentration in shorts bursts, Golfing (circa 80 shots in 4 hours!) or rugby goal kicking for example, anything that helps a competitor get 'into the zone' of singular concantration (Like johny wilkinsons "straining to get on out" stance) can and does help with that concentration and therefore success. I'm not saying these will do that, but these sorts of thing can help, if it requires the total BS ("holograms embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body's natural energy field" is my favourite) to work psychologically to help a competitor concentrate, then so be it.

For sports that require effort, focus on ignoring 'the pain' etc, then its a wasteo f space.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Applying the flip side, certain sports require intense concentration in shorts bursts, Golfing (circa 80 shots in 4 hours!) or rugby goal kicking for example, anything that helps a competitor get 'into the zone' of singular concantration (Like johny wilkinsons "straining to get on out" stance) can and does help with that concentration and therefore success. I'm not saying these will do that, but these sorts of thing can help, if it requires the total BS ("holograms embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body's natural energy field" is my favourite) to work psychologically to help a competitor concentrate, then so be it.

For sports that require effort, focus on ignoring 'the pain' etc, then its a wasteo f space.

Simon

Hmmmmmmm - however, these are goods on sale and need to meet various standards of advertising, fitness for purpose etc.

I toally agree with you that if a top pro needs to put his left sock on first, or not wash his shreddies whilst on a winning streak, or whatever, then fine (apart from the hygiene consequences!).

But I'm dubious about this stuff costing money, being on sale and making (probably unprovable) claims.

Still, if we clamped down on it then the entire beauty industry would be up the swannee!

"32% more radiant...."

oh, and religion would be f*cked!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Will they transform me into a Tyrannosaurus if I bought 2 of them, hold them in front of me and say "It's Morphin' Time!"
  • dhope
    PBo wrote:

Simon

Hmmmmmmm - however, these are goods on sale and need to meet various standards of advertising, fitness for purpose etc.

I toally agree with you that if a top pro needs to put his left sock on first, or not wash his shreddies whilst on a winning streak, or whatever, then fine (apart from the hygiene consequences!).

But I'm dubious about this stuff costing money, being on sale and making (probably unprovable) claims.

Still, if we clamped down on it then the entire beauty industry would be up the swannee!

"32% more radiant...."

oh, and religion would be f*cked!

This stuff doesn't actually claim to do anything concrete though and will be worded carefully that way. Any magical powers will just be 'in line with' your body's energies or will 'help promote'. All entirely unquantifiable, snake oil by another name.

You get the same careful wording on creams etc.
    Rather than "improves complexion" it "contains Vitamin XYZ, which improves complexion". Important distinction, and the first one can sound like it's saying something while actually saying nothing at all.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    I'm reserving judgement until I see some 'before' and 'after' performance stat's and what-not published.

(and I can't be bothered Go-ogling to see if there's any out there already)
  • dhope
    shm_uk wrote:
    I'm reserving judgement until I see some 'before' and 'after' performance stat's and what-not published.

(and I can't be bothered Go-ogling to see if there's any out there already)

You'd be able to find some, placebos can work wonders (seriously)
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cjcp
    shm_uk wrote:

Fwiw, I wore one (and still wear it) on a recent trip to the Alps and spent much of the time riding like a bag of spanners.

I think they cool, though. But then my view of "cool" is not the same as everyone else's :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dhope
    edited October 2010
    cjcp wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Fwiw, I wore one (and still wear it) on a recent trip to the Alps and spent much of the time riding like a bag of spanners.

I think they cool, though. But then my view of "cool" is not the same as everyone else's :)

Ah, you wanted to get the Alps-specific hologram, regular holograms are severely affected by altitude :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Of all the people I know, you'd be one of the ones I'd think least likely to buy one of these things.

So what do the stars have in store for you this week?
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Ah, the placebo. My friend tried to argue that it could have a placebo affect on me.
    I said not if I think it's a load of sh1t it won't.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • cjcp
    dhope wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    shm_uk wrote:

Ah, you wanted to get the Alps-specific hologram, regular holograms are severely affected by altitude :twisted:

Dammit! I knew it had nothing to do with me eating like a crazy man. :)

@IP - hey, I'm a sucker for a lot of gimmicks. What can I say? Remember, I bought deep-rimmed carbon wheels because I thought they made a cool sound. :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:

@IP - hey, I'm a sucker for a lot of gimmicks. What can I say? Remember, I bought deep-rimmed carbon wheels because I thought they made a cool sound. :lol:

But that's a perfectly valid reason!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    2009 - Wiggins didn't wear one in the tour - came 4th
    2010 - Wiggins wore one in the tour - came 24th

proof that they are rubbish
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • The placebo effect is a very powerful thing - so I am sure coaches hype these things to athletes even if the coaches themselves know they don't work.

Curses, dhope, can work too - there are well-documented cases of people dying from the 'nocebo' effect.

I often wonder whether there's a smart (if unethical) coach out there who has persuaded his charges that he's feeding them a top secret, newly developed, undetectable, and highly illegal performance enhancing drug - but is just injecting them with some saline solution...
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    I went to a "Water Babies" class with 8 month old gtvlusso jnr a couple of weeks back - the rather hot, bikini clad, 20 something year old taking the class had one of those on her wrist....believe me, she was DDD Hot! Fine figure with long dark hair....!

For some reason I felt aroused throughout the class, but I don't think it was the band's influence......or the kids!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I went to a "Water Babies" class with 8 month old gtvlusso jnr a couple of weeks back - the rather hot, bikini clad, 20 something year old taking the class had one of those on her wrist....believe me, she was DDD Hot! Fine figure with long dark hair....!

For some reason I felt aroused throughout the class, but I don't think it was the band's influence......or the kids!

Pics or it didn't happen....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    These bloody bands are about as believeable as that Gillian McKeith food fraud. Utterly non-sensical pseudo-science that doesn't stand up to a moments scrutiny.

I bet they've got a correspondence course degree as well.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    These bloody bands are about as believeable as that Gillian McKeith food fraud. Utterly non-sensical pseudo-science that doesn't stand up to a moments scrutiny.

I bet they've got a correspondence course degree as well.

The bands probably looks like a PhD submission compared to that women's drivel....

I flim flam between "this stuff should be banned!" to "if the daft bu99ers believe this crap, they deserve to be parted from their cash!!"
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    ooermissus wrote:
    I often wonder whether there's a smart (if unethical) coach out there who has persuaded his charges that he's feeding them a top secret, newly developed, undetectable, and highly illegal performance enhancing drug - but is just injecting them with some saline solution...
    Apparently, most of the 'treatments' administered to Paco Mancebo were placebos due to his naturally high haemacrit levels: they couldn't blood-boost him otherwise he'd have gone above the UCI 50% limit...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides