which companies warrant for fat people?

maidenfan
maidenfan Posts: 4
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
hi all,
i currently have a mountain bike (orange p7),
im after EITHER a road or cx bike to use for a lejog in 2012.
comfort is probly more important than outright speed,
however, my main question is,
i weigh 22 stone at the moment, i am losing weight, but wonder if companies will warrant their frames being ridden by a bloater like me?
also, anyone with any experience similar to me, id happily listen to any advice given as i havent ridden a decent road bike since the mid 90s.
my budget is c£1200.

Comments

• AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    The only manufacturer I've noticed openly say it is Orbea who state no weight limit for the rider, not sure if that was only the carbon Orca though as that's what I was looking at?

Sure plenty of forum members will recommend bikes, I've such limited experience I'll sit on the (un-weight-limited!) fence on that one :wink:
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'd say just contact the mfrs. of the bikes you're interested in buying. I'm sure if they feel they're bike won't support your weight it would be best to let you know seeing how if they claim it's strong enough and it fails, you will have an email as evidence of them stating the bike was safe. On a side note. Last weekend I passed some type of organised ride of well over 1,000 people that seemed to have about every tenth person being fairly large in the belly and in the 20+ stone range. All were riding different brands and types of newer bikes so I would assume there are plenty of good choices for you out there.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I would think it's more the wheels you have to worry about than the frame.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Neither Scott or Orbea have weight limits for their frames.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    Surly.
    Handbuilt wheels.
    Perfick.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    thats actually the one thing im not worried about, ive run 16 spoke wheels for many thousands of miles with no problem,
    im only really worried about frame/fork fatigue in the future, im planning to keep this bike for a long time.
    perhaps im being paranoid?
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    maidenfan wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    thats actually the one thing im not worried about, ive run 16 spoke wheels for many thousands of miles with no problem,
    im only really worried about frame/fork fatigue in the future, im planning to keep this bike for a long time.
    perhaps im being paranoid?

I'm around 21st atm and the one thing I have had issues with is the wheels. Had some 'bombproof' wheels break spokes when they had 24, the latest new bike came with a 20spoke rear which again is out of true.

the only one I have any real confidence in is my handbuilt 105/open proCD 32 spoke rear wheel which quite frankly is a joy to ride on. The lower spoke count wheels tend to be really stiff and harsh which to me was onkay until I used the 32H one and it seems far more supple and forgiving.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • ah, thanks for the heads up on that, but it would probably be 32s anyway, i would still regard 32s as 'light' anyway.
    just out of interest, what are you riding?
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    I have a Winter trainer.Audax bike by Quest and a Eddy Mercx AMX-1 for when the weather is nicer. I only have the 1 handbuilt wheel though at the moment so it means when I swap bikes over I have to swap the rear wheel along with the cassette as one is 10sp and the other is 9sp :roll:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up