beaten by my own bike

onlinebiking
onlinebiking Posts: 16
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
After months of moaning and being slower than my mate,i thought his bike (spesh tarmac)
was far better than mine(ridley triton)and the reason he was beating me.So for todays ride we swapped.Unfortunately the outcome was just the same.On the plus side i ha
ve just saved £2500

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Its all about the engine!! 8)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Were you just daft to think a stronger rider was suddenly going to be slower on less well endowed bike?
    Less online biking needed methinks.
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    It is all about the engine; you! Cycling proves that you can indeed polish a turd.

Of the 4 bikes I have, they all handle, accelerate and climb differently. My most expensive bike (+£2k dearer than my worst) handles, accelerates and climbs the best. Instantaneous power and far superior comfort. Essentially it'll make me a better cyclist, but only because I have the motivation to get out and ride harder and longer because of it.
  • I appriciate its the engine that makes the difference.BUT..we both ride exactly the same
    mileage(150-200miles)per week,.I just thought it would even things up a little.Obviously i
    need to go back to the drawing board and come up with a cunning plan.Or just fill his frame full of sand.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,841
    I appriciate its the engine that makes the difference.BUT..we both ride exactly the same mileage(150-200miles)per week,
    Sometimes life's just not fair, is it? I guess it means you'll need to do something extra (other than the sand idea) to catch up with him, if you can't blame the bike.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I appriciate its the engine that makes the difference.BUT..we both ride exactly the same
    mileage(150-200miles)per week,.I just thought it would even things up a little.Obviously i
    need to go back to the drawing board and come up with a cunning plan.Or just fill his frame full of sand.

Exaclty the same sessions?, are you also physically of similar build ups?.

Genetic makeup has some bearing on physical performance too.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I appriciate its the engine that makes the difference.BUT..we both ride exactly the same

Perhaps his riding reflects his needs with respect to his training zones better than the same rides suit you. Perhaps when he has finished his ride he does more to promote his recovery so that he is more prepared to reap the benefits of the next ride.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    danowat wrote:

Genetic makeup has some bearing on physical performance too.

More than some I'd say.