Tour 2011 - Camping on Alp D'Huez

AllezAllezAllez
AllezAllezAllez Posts: 207
edited January 2016 in Road beginners
Next year I'm hoping to compete a dream and watch the Tour live. It would be great to camp out on the Alp and cheer on the riders. Has anyone camped on D'Huez or is it a case of just walking up on the day?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I may do the same in the folk's motor home.

Dirk Hoffmann style !
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Perhaps we could have a forum meet up and drink a bottle of red or three because I am looking into hiring a motor home for next years TDF and watching a few stages inc Alpe D'Huez.
  • Scrumple
    CONVOY !
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    Roger that Rubber Duck!!
  • Scrumple
    in fairness to the OP - should bring this one back on track...

"Has anyone camped on D'Huez or is it a case of just walking up on the day?"
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's a campsite in Bourg D'Oisan which is in the valley - or you could camp higher up the hilll at the village of D'Huez or in the ski resort itself. Most people cycle / walk up on the day - I'd opt for the valley because even in summer, in the mountains the weather can change suddenly. On key sections of road, people start parking up their campers a week ahead - particularly the Dutch. It depends on how close you want to be to facilities and civilisation.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I've camped by the side of the road a couple of times on Alpe d'Huez and to be honest, I'd choose to do the same again rather than use one of the campsites either at the top or bottom of the climb. The campsite get very crowded and I think you get a much better atmosphere on the roadside. OK, it's very basic, but they do put out "portaloos" along the route and you can always go up to Alpe d'Huez or down into Bourg d'Osions for anything you might need.

The two years I camped we put the tent up about 4km to the finish line. There's quite a lot of space there to put up a tent, but getting the car off the road (amsuing your driving) might be the problem. Then your not too far from the town to get food n' stuff.

You'll have to get there early. As MD has already said, the camper vans will turn up about a week before, it's the same with tents. The A d'H stage in on the Friday, so I'd turn up no later than Monday?

But to take it back off track again, I'll probably be on the Galibier instead of the Alpe this time :D
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    As others have said there are a few campsites down in the valley at Bourg d'Oisans, but they're rammed, I also think the request a 2 week booking at that time (not that you have to stay 2 weeks).

We stayed in an apartment which overlooked a campsite in the tiny village of La Garde (bend 16). We actually tried staying in the campsite, but it was fully booked, they had a friend with an aparement overlooking the campsite and offered it to us. Whilst the campsite was fully booked, it wasn't as rammed as the ones down in the valley. Nice campsite with toilet block and that's it. Lovely view over the Gorge de Sarenne.

If you want to wild camp I'd say try to get high, on the edge of Alpe d'Huez, and get there early. You might have to deal with dodgy weather, but at least you'll be able to park easier, have access to the leisure centre (showers!), and easy access to shops. I'm not sure that wild camping is so welcomed in the valley.

It's amazing where some people manage to pitch a tent or dump their motor home. the whole town of AdH turns into a big campervan park!

Look after the place though, I'm goinf the following week to do the triathlon, shame that the OH is a teacher, as we'd go early to watch the TdF too.
  • hammerite
    Actually it was this campsite..... http://www.lepreoula.com/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    The Dutch contingent start camping out the day before, and party very late into the evening. It's just a big party through most of the day.

At least, that's what various youtube clips tell me.
  • The Dutch contingent start camping out the day before, and party very late into the evening. It's just a big party through most of the day.

Err, not quite. From what I've seen, they tend to run out of energy quite early in the evening. But then in their defence, they do start quite early :D
  • hammerite
    The Dutch contingent start camping out the day before, and party very late into the evening. It's just a big party through most of the day.

Err, not quite. From what I've seen, they tend to run out of energy quite early in the evening. But then in their defence, they do start quite early :D

and a good group of them are there a lot longer than a day before. We were getting cheered just driving up 4 days before!

Staying somewhere like Oz en Oisans, or Vaujany might be a good idea as you can get the cable car up to AdH the back way.

It's a bit eerie though the next day it's just mass exodus and the place becomes pretty much a ghost town. Apart from Friday when I try to cycle up and get stuck trying to weave my way through the street market! If you stay for a few days have a go at the dry toboggan run, good fun, although when the sign say brake, use your brakes :oops: :lol:
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    In 2008 I stayed in Les Deux Alpes and drove to pretty much the foot of the Alpe and walked up that morning, which was fine if a little tiring by the end of the day.
    Next year however the route goes down that main valley road to Bourg, so staying to the west may be an option, if you wanted to drive on the day near to the foot and walk up.
    As noted already cable cars do run both sides of the route to get you to the top of the Alpe as an option too.
    I’m going to be near Allemond next year, already booked and looking forward to a day up the Galibier, then the next up the Alpe; planning to ride up on the days themselves, if not then to drive as near as possible and walk.
    Then possibly the Grenoble TT too.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    just a warning - it gets very hot during the day in the alps in summer and often that means a HUGE FVCK 0FF thunderstorm for about an hour around 6ish. Just bare it in mind for camping and have a great time - if you want to camp up the hill go at least 2 days before as the best spots will go to the dutch straight away - they will be drunk.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    ...it gets very hot during the day in the alps in summer and often that means a HUGE FVCK 0FF thunderstorm for about an hour around 6ish.
    :lol: Very true though.
  • Hi Alez

The portable camp toilet has become an important and comfortable part of camper accessories. Portable toilets come in many shapes and sizes and can be used either for camping or in everyday life.
    The portable camp toilet can be used in any kind of vehicle. Car, motorhome, truck or even a boat and they will save the day when you really have to go while there are no public toilets around. And even if they are, chances are that they'll be in a sorry shape and even awfully dirty.
    And if for some reason the toilet in your home breaks down...well, you can always use your camping toilet while you sort things out.
    There are three basic designs available for the portable camp toilet...
    • Folding or collapsible portable toilet
    • The bucket toilet
    • Portable flush toilet
    If you want to hire the one, then you can visit http://www.hireportabletoilets.com.au/
  • Hi Alez

The portable camp toilet has become an important and comfortable part of camper accessories. Portable toilets come in many shapes and sizes and can be used either for camping or in everyday life.
    The portable camp toilet can be used in any kind of vehicle. Car, motorhome, truck or even a boat and they will save the day when you really have to go while there are no public toilets around. And even if they are, chances are that they'll be in a sorry shape and even awfully dirty.
    And if for some reason the toilet in your home breaks down...well, you can always use your camping toilet while you sort things out.
    There are three basic designs available for the portable camp toilet...
    • Folding or collapsible portable toilet
    • The bucket toilet
    • Portable flush toilet
    If you want to hire the one, then you can visit http://www.hireportabletoilets.com.au/

One hopes the OP has not been waiting 5 years for this nugget
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It's a fair old way to go to pick it up too - com.au and all that.