Falling into the Canal

MarcusYau
MarcusYau Posts: 4
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi Everyone

Newbie on this forum, some great stories out there but not many on canals, towpaths it seems... and the BW site is, well, pretty useless really.

My girlfriend and I commute to work from East London into the centre, via the Grand Union Canal and have been doing so, without issue, until yesterday evening when she fell in. She not only lost her bike, but was submerged and swallowed a small amount of water...

So, we're frantically googling this for medical advice and have only found references to Weil's Disease and other nastiness. Without wishing to jump to conclusions, we'd like to know if anyone else here has had a similar mishap/experience? Does this warrant a trip to the Doctor? Are we looking at an array of injections?

So many questions, so be great to hear your thoughts!

Cheers
M

Comments

• Sympathy for your GF - that water will have been cold and a lost bike is a real pain. I wouldn't worry seriously about a couple of mouthfuls but the GP is nearby and free so I'd book an appointment anyway, just to be safe. Weil's disease is the most likely danger but I've seen kids swimming in the Lee Navigation - so there's almost definitely no need to panic. Just be safe.
  • JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    Drink some coke (or your favourite cola brand) cant remember why but its what we were told to do when doing water stuff with the Scouts
  • No need for a trip to the doctor as it is highly unlikely she has caught anything. If she seems to be getting the flu in a couple of days, then start to worry and make an emergency appointment.
    But as I said it is highly unlikely.
    I am more surprised she lost her bike as the canal isn't very deep in most places.
  • Thanks Guys

Your feedback is invaluble... not sure why, but there seems to be a shortage of anecdotal info about this on t'internet, and the very little that exists mentions Weil's...

I'm sure it's a not an un-common occurance.

M
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Weils disease generally requires a cut or abrasion, swallowing it is harmless unless the victim has ulcers!

Canal's are shallow, go back with a grappling hook on a rope, and the 4th bike you pull up may well be the GF's, do it fast and you'll probably find its 95% fine!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,883
    Weils disease generally requires a cut or abrasion, swallowing it is harmless unless the victim has ulcers!

Canal's are shallow, go back with a grappling hook on a rope, and the 4th bike you pull up may well be the GF's, do it fast and you'll probably find its 95% fine!

Simon

plus a shopping trolley
  • MarcusYau wrote:
    Hi Everyone

Newbie on this forum, some great stories out there but not many on canals, towpaths it seems... and the BW site is, well, pretty useless really.

My girlfriend and I commute to work from East London into the centre, via the Grand Union Canal and have been doing so, without issue, until yesterday evening when she fell in. She not only lost her bike, but was submerged and swallowed a small amount of water...

So, we're frantically googling this for medical advice and have only found references to Weil's Disease and other nastiness. Without wishing to jump to conclusions, we'd like to know if anyone else here has had a similar mishap/experience? Does this warrant a trip to the Doctor? Are we looking at an array of injections?

Cheers
    M

like others have said go and see if can get the bike back.

as to Weil's water vapour is more of a risk as far as i'm aware. ie more of a risk for cavers etc.

the chance of her getting anything nasty is low, Weil's can be cured easy enough.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    like others have said go and see if can get the bike back.

as to Weil's water vapour is more of a risk as far as i'm aware. ie more of a risk for cavers etc.

the chance of her getting anything nasty is low, Weil's can be cured easy enough.

Weil's disease is more common after flooding. People Kayak in the canals in London without too many problems.

NB, death is a possible outcome if it is not treated very promptly.

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... hp?t=22740
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • MarcusYau wrote:
    Hi Everyone

Cheers
    M

Don't worry! You'll be fine! I've spent loads of time upside down in said canal in a kayak, as have many other members of the kayaking club.

Keep your eyes open for flu-like symptoms about a week after she went in, but it's such a minute chance of catching anything that you really shouldn't worry.
  • Have fallen in the Thames a few times, used to sail when I was little (my dad's a bit of a sailing nut - had us crewing as soon as we were strong enough to work the ropes). Everyone in the sailing club knew to keep an eye out for Weil's symptoms, but I never heard of anyone actually catching it - same goes for my brother's rowing team. This despite spending a bunch lot of time in and around the water, more often than not picking up cuts and bruises from the ropes & suchlike.
  • I've done a bit of gentle kayaking in my time - in the Leicestershire canals, and on the River Avon.

Canals are not deep, you can generally stand up in them. Weils disease is possible but extremely unlikely. I spend many happy hours on (and in) the canals around Leicester. Canal water tastes just like it smells like :?
    There is a lot less crap (of all sorts) in most canals these days thanks to more boats, fishermen, and better environmental awareness.

My experience on the River Avon was an unhappy one - I was taken there with my kids on a 'kayaking taster' - which if I knew then what I know now, I'd have cancelled - the river was in flood (which is a bad thing in kayaking terms) and I fell in several times, and despite the prophylactic coke I contracted a very mild dose of Weils Disease - felt like very bad flu, and although I didn't get the jaundice my Liver Function Tests were all over the shop (ALT around 950 for those who understand these things!).

I honestly think your GF had a very rare unlucky accident - I don't think too many cyclists do fall in from canal towpaths.
  • My advice would be to get down the chemist and stock up on sachets of dioralyte just to be on the safe side.
  • I do a lot of rowing, and have had Veils disease about 4 times in the past ten years. You don't need to swallow water to catch it, it can get to your blood stream through your eyes and nasal passages.

It's pretty nasty and can last up to ten days. I was vomiting with terrible diarhoea (sorry if anyone is eating their lunch).

The first time I caught it, I went to the doctor who told me that although I looked very unwell, he was sure it wasn't Veils disease "as noone gets that these days". He told me to come back in a few days if I didn't feel better. A few days later I could barely walk and didn't go back to the doctors.

In my experience it always started 24 hours after falling in.

I tried drinking coke immediately after but that didn't work, perhaps as it entered my body another way.

It was very unpleasant, but thankfully it left no long-term effects.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    I'm also a rower so aware of the risk of Weil's disease which should be taken seriously so watch out for any symptons.

Not meaning to be dramatic, but the disease can be fatal - just yesterday, rowing great and twice Olympic champion, Andy Holmes sadly passed away after contracting Weil's disease.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 124270.stm
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm sure you could get the bike back with a grappling hook and some rope.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Can't offer any advice of a medical nature but carbon bikes float. I've been off a cliff into the sea and my old carbon hardtail popped up next to me. :)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Poor girlfriend!

The only other thing that it might be worth worrying about is cyanobacteria poisoning (blue green algae). It has been very present in large bodies of still water this summer due to ideal conditions. I ended up being very sick during a sailing trip this summer which I think was related to the bacteria. If she does get sick at all, definitely book a drs appointment.... but then I don't know how busy your local canal is! In Slough there's very little traffic and I'm sure I've seen some algae plumes!
    ~I like to bike~
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    weils disease can be serious, but deaths from weils is a pretty rare occurence - the main symptioms are body temprature increases rapidly, aching muscles like a really bad flu and vomiting, you'd know soon enough if you did have it

bikes in canals can be found (I've ridden a bike into the canal before) as long as you know the point you went in. if you get no joy with the rope and hook method, get someone with a good quality wetsuit and a dive mask to go in, and pay them in beer when they get it out
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I went in the canal a few years back ( i was going too fast and someone jumped into my path) and probably ingested some water (made for a good excuse to work from home the next day) but I was absolutely fine. Luckily I was able to lift my bike up even though it had filled with water and was bast@rd heavy.

Looked a little like swamp thing for the rest of the ride as luckily it was summer so I didn't have a heart attack when I hit the freezing water
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I went into several pubs and an Indian restaurant this weekend after which I experienced some unfortunate problems with my stomach.

Have I contracted Weil's?
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Oh dear. Hope she is OK. Let us know how it all goes.
  • Hi Everyone

Thanks for your feedback and advice. She's OK but as a little cold (from the long walk home soaking wet), and so far we;ve not experienced anything severe but a Doctor's appointment is booked for tomorrow.

As for the bike... it appears to be in the canal and we're going to attempt to salvage it, if the local barge owners are happy to part with some poles...

Thanks again - we've been riding a while now and had no idea such a community existed, so it's a revelation to find such a nice bunch of folks on here!

Cheers
    M
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    MarcusYau wrote:
    Hi Everyone

Thanks for your feedback and advice. She's OK but as a little cold (from the long walk home soaking wet), and so far we;ve not experienced anything severe but a Doctor's appointment is booked for tomorrow.

You don't catch cold from being cold. In other words, keep an eye on your girlfriend and good work booking the Dr appointment.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No but you can catch a cold due to your bodies resistance levels being lower due to benig cold when you otherwise may have fought off the virus at point of entry and suffered no symptoms.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,760
    Based on today's news Weil's disease/leptospirosis is worth taking very seriously - it might be rare, but it is potentially lethal.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Yes it is worth taking seriously. It's no fun and at best you need 7 - 10 days off work in my experience.

I hardly ate a thing when I had it. I ended up drinking water with salt and sugar to keep myself reasonably hydrated and with some energy.

Anything I did manage to eat was normally back out with my one way or another within 30 minutes.
    My commute:
    commute.jpg
  • Lowride
    Lowride Posts: 214
    I went out mountain biking tonite with three mates and we rode down our local canal for a couple of miles. I was keeping my eyes on those big metal hooks that all the boats moor to, if you hit one of those you would be in the water no problem.
    A guy I know fell in the canal a couple of summers ago whilst out biking, I was`nt out that night but I know he got his bike back. Not quite sure how it happened but its not that hard, some parts have the bank washed away a bit.
    I would say that if ure g/f has`nt picked up any symptoms of any kind after a couple of days she would appear to be fine but really you need the opinion of somebody who is qualified to give advice.
    Just read the article about Andy Holmes. I know that mentioning someone who's just died of Weil's seems a perverse way of trying to reassure you, but the article does say it's only believed to cause 1 or 2 deaths a year.

(qnd he's 1 of them, so you'll be even more unlucky!!)

(yes, i know, Stats FAIL!)

Seriously, think of all the canoeists/kayakers etc, who must swallow mouthfuls all the time.