Padded Underwear

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Anyone recommend any padded underwear.

It's for doing the shopping or cycling down to the gym with under normal clothes. Just wearing my normal clothes without a pad is cutting the ar$e off me to be blunt and I'm not going shopping in lycra :lol: so need another solution.

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Rapha do some padded merino underwear which might make a nice Xmas pressie otherwise most firms like Endura/Altura do something
    M.Rushton
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    Wouldn't a new saddle be a better idea?

I'm suprised that if you're riding short distances to shops, gym etc and getting a sore backside that the saddle is right for you. If you're riding long distances (i.e. 10's of miles to go to the gym) then just getting some proper shorts/tights would be a better bet.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    rich164h wrote:
    Wouldn't a new saddle be a better idea?

I'm suprised that if you're riding short distances to shops, gym etc and getting a sore backside that the saddle is right for you. If you're riding long distances (i.e. 10's of miles to go to the gym) then just getting some proper shorts/tights would be a better bet.

Methinks also new saddle thoughts required.
    I ride to work and back and just have me normal clobber on and dont have an issue with discomfort for these short hauls, except sometimes people might think I have nicked the bike riding it as I do with toe tector warehouse boots on clipless pedals.... :wink:
  • doyler78
    Gym is 18 miles away (close to work). Main supermarket is 10 miles away. I do have a smaller supermarket only 3 miles away and have no problems riding in and out to there however it just doesn't have good quality food or a range of herbs that I use so it isn't ideal. Also I am riding over pretty rolling terrain (goes up to 18% in sections) so I find that it's the movement on the saddle with the shift in terrain that causes the jeans to start rubbing into my boxers and this then starts to get painful.

Saddle is fine with normal padded shorts over 4 to 5 hour rides so I'm not convinced that it is the problem.

I'll check out the ranges mrushton has pointed out though would be great to hear a first hand experience :lol:
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    What about getting a cheap Gel Cover for your saddle, just to be used for these trips ?
    About a Fiver on ebay.

Padded Underwear under a pair of Jeans would feel and look like your wearing a Nappy!
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • doyler78
    RDB66 wrote:
    What about getting a cheap Gel Cover for your saddle, just to be used for these trips ?
    About a Fiver on ebay.

Padded Underwear under a pair of Jeans would feel and look like your wearing a Nappy!

I did wonder what it would feel and look like (VPL :shock: ). Hadn't considered the gel seat covering - that might do the job.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    I commute in normal clothes and own a few pairs of the Craft Cool Bike Boxers. I'd highly recommend them, the pad is thin but offers enough comfort to ride in day in, day out.

I had a pair of the Endura ones and that was like wearing a nappy, it felt like a mattress was wedged between my legs. :shock:
  • doyler78
    Those boxers andyp look great - have to be worth a punt. I have a pair of huvee shorts I've had for years and I do use them during the summer when I want to go out on a lesirely ride os the longs may be worth a look if the boxers don't work out.
  • andyp wrote:
    Craft Cool Bike Boxers - I'd highly recommend them, the pad is thin but offers enough comfort to ride in day in, day out.

I agree. These are what you need.

I did 50 miles in the South Lakes wearing these and cotton shorts without any problems.

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-coo ... r-254.html
  • Am I reading this right that you commute to work? 18 miles?

If so then padded shorts should be something you take off, ditto your commuting clothes.

And, I trust, a shower at the other end?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • doyler78
    Am I reading this right that you commute to work? 18 miles?

If so then padded shorts should be something you take off, ditto your commuting clothes.

And, I trust, a shower at the other end?

2+2 doesn't = 5 :lol:

I never said that I had a problem going to the gym from work on the bike it was just used to explain the distances that I wanted to travel in normal clothes. The reason for this is that I use the gym on a Saturday afternoon. Favourite day beause the gym is practically empty so I can get lots done quickly however I have found it a chore to cycle to the gym on a Saturday and unusually end up taking the bus because it would mean I would have to carry 3 sets of clothes:

1) normal clothes (shopping and going for a bite to eat)
    2) gym gear
    3) plus the regular cycling gear

I would prefer to just cycle up in my normal clothes and carry my gym gear only. Would be so much more a pleasant ride.

I have cycled up in my normal clothes before I didn't enjoy the experience - all rear end issues :oops:

As regards work - well I'm very lucky because I work in admin in food production so our staff have changing and showering facilties so I get lockers and showers so I'm pretty lucky. No secure bike parking though but hey I guess you can't have everything.
  • doyler78
    andyp wrote:
    Craft Cool Bike Boxers - I'd highly recommend them, the pad is thin but offers enough comfort to ride in day in, day out.

I agree. These are what you need.

I did 50 miles in the South Lakes wearing these and cotton shorts without any problems.

http://www.alwaysriding.co.uk/craft-coo ... r-254.html

I take a small (quit the sniggering - I have to spiral pack :lol:) in Calvin Klein boxers so does that mean I need a small in these as well. Wear 30" jeans :lol:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,313
    Yes. The small are small - I bought a pair (have a 32" waist) but they were a bit snug so the other pairs I have are medium. The small ones only get worn when none of the others are clean.
  • doyler78
    andyp wrote:
    Yes. The small are small - I bought a pair (have a 32" waist) but they were a bit snug so the other pairs I have are medium. The small ones only get worn when none of the others are clean.

Thanks andyp. I'll order these today :lol:
  • doyler78 wrote:

2+2 doesn't = 5 :lol:

I never said that I had a problem going to the gym from work on the bike it was just used to explain the distances that I wanted to travel in normal clothes. The reason for this is that I use the gym on a Saturday afternoon. Favourite day beause the gym is practically empty so I can get lots done quickly however I have found it a chore to cycle to the gym on a Saturday and unusually end up taking the bus because it would mean I would have to carry 3 sets of clothes:

1) normal clothes (shopping and going for a bite to eat)
    2) gym gear
    3) plus the regular cycling gear

I would prefer to just cycle up in my normal clothes and carry my gym gear only. Would be so much more a pleasant ride.

I have cycled up in my normal clothes before I didn't enjoy the experience - all rear end issues :oops:

As regards work - well I'm very lucky because I work in admin in food production so our staff have changing and showering facilties so I get lockers and showers so I'm pretty lucky. No secure bike parking though but hey I guess you can't have everything.

Are you cycling 18 miles TO the gym? And 18 miles back?

Have you thought about, say, adding 20 to that and, well, avoiding the gym?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • doyler78
    Are you cycling 18 miles TO the gym? And 18 miles back?

Have you thought about, say, adding 20 to that and, well, avoiding the gym?[/quote]

I use the gym twice per week. I ride to work 3 times per week. I do 2 days with extended commute home of about 30 miles and 1 day where it's straight in and out. The commute is actually 14 miles straight. On Saturday I do a morning ride and Sunday will usually do a longer ride so I have 5 solid days of riding each week. I could certainly do more as I'm not as time limited as some with no children, etc to worry about.

The gym is used for upper body work so riding my bike more will not help that at all. I fully realise that upper body work adds muscle mass and therefore adds weight which I then have to carry uphill but I couldnt' care less. I have no desire to look really skinny. I want a more proportioned physique than most serious road cyclists exhibit. I have no desire to have a huge upper body either. I'm 73kg at 173cm so I'm not big to start with but not really skinny either. I was 67kg at one stage and my climbing improved significantly however I felt too thin. Somewhere around 70kg is what I would ideally like now.

In any case sorting the commute out doesn't help the other issues I raised re: shopping 10 miles away so I would still need that solution. The boxers is what I'm going for. We'll see how it goes. It may work then again it may not but I can only try.