Thule Bike Carrier Fitting?

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I've got a set of Thule roof bars on my car and am planning on getting a Thule 951 carrier for the bike. My question is, how does it attach to the aero roof bars?
Does the carrier fit into the grooves in the rails or does it just clamp on?
Also, can the carriers be left on without being easily stolen?
I've tried looking at some pictures online but can't find any decent shots of how they're attached.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    slots into the groves.

and they have a "lock"

how secure is a good question as if someone wants something they will have it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I use this setup, but attach the 951 to my aero bars using the attachments Thule provide for fitting to the square bars instead.

I found it easier to fit and remove the 951 this way. It has the same locking facility as the fitting that slides into the grooves.

I've never had any problems with them, and consider them to be a good purchase, especially when you get back to the car and your bike is covered on all sorts of s#1t.
  • +1 on the 591, I've used them for years without any fuss or issues at all.
    The one thing I do like about them is that they keep the bikes high up and away from thieving fingers.. but watch out when parking under trees and you pay a slight fuel penalty depending on how you drive.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    I use the T-track fittings but yeah the square bar fittings to look big enough to go round aero bars.

There is 3 T bolts in total all with cam type tensioners and one has a lock - you should have locks on the ends of your roof bars, lock for the bike rack to the roof bar and a lock on the bike rack.

One annoying thing about the 591s is you have to have one bike pointing backwards as the arm clamps from the other side to the chainrings.

If you park on the street you may want to cable tie the arms to the top of the rack when not in use, I live in a student area so they seem to like messing with them unless I tie them down and always clamp up and lock the jaws again to stop idiots messing with them.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,753
    Never had a problem with anyone trying to take the carriers, even though a half decent thief will be able to get past the locks. But definitley don't leave bikes on there unattended.

@Andy! : you don't have to have one bike pointing backwards, I can manoeuvre it on and clamp from the 'wrong' side; it's just a bit more of a faff.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Andy! wrote:
    I use the T-track fittings but yeah the square bar fittings to look big enough to go round aero bars.

Do the T-Track fittings come with the 591 kit?
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Andy! wrote:

Do the T-Track fittings come with the 591 kit?

Yes they do. I'm a big fan of the 591's and the aero bars - excellent piece of kit and worth every penny. I get 3 bikes on top of the roof in a couple of minutes. Also, with the fittings for my car, I can get the aero bars, with the 591's attached, off the car in about the same time.
  • Andy! wrote:
    One annoying thing about the 591s is you have to have one bike pointing backwards as the arm clamps from the other side to the chainrings.

Not quite the norm, I refitted my clamp, so both bikes face forwards and the clamps, ratchets & locks are accessible from either side of the car. I have marked them left & right accordingly though.

A pic from earlier this year of the bikes atop the Disco

dscf0030emedium.jpg
  • I picked one up today and it looks like a nice piece of kit.

I've got the day off tomorrow so I think I'll have to try it out with a trip to Swinley :D
  • Having just assembled our new system. I now find that the fitting of the Aero bars requires that the "T" fixings need to slot into the bars (not using the clamps). Does this mean that the rubber seal needs to be cut in two different places, or have I got it wrong?
    Help
  • Geoff2050 wrote:
    Having just assembled our new system. I now find that the fitting of the Aero bars requires that the "T" fixings need to slot into the bars (not using the clamps). Does this mean that the rubber seal needs to be cut in two different places, or have I got it wrong?
    Help

Yes, the rubber needs cut to accommodate the bike carrier.
    I've kept the bit I cut out and when the bike carrier is removed, I refit the piece of rubber to stop crap getting into the slot.
  • Andy!
    Andy! wrote:

Not quite the norm, I refitted my clamp, so both bikes face forwards and the clamps, ratchets & locks are accessible from either side of the car. I have marked them left & right accordingly though.

A pic from earlier this year of the bikes atop the Disco

dscf0030emedium.jpg

that is how I had mine at first but you have to clamp the down tube in front of the chainrings - maybe not so bad with a 2 ring setup but with a 3 ring one it means moving the bike quite forward to reach the higher point on the downtube so it looked silly having one bike further forward. the big factor in me changing them back was security as it's more secure fitting the clamp from the non-drive side as the chainrings protect the open side of the jaws from people trying to pry them open.

I switched it round and now live with one facing one way and one the other. I put the missus's bike pointing forwards incase I go under something too low as her forks are cheaper!

Oh and I now have a velovise pro (front wheel off) for the carbon 456 so I don't have to clamp the downtube. I am sure it will be fine as it is bloody tough but it means it is lower too and that will go in the middle so will have a bike either side to keep people away from it.
  • Andy!
    or you might have your bikes level by clamping both in front of the chainrings. But that is less secure.