Intense 5.5 EVP build (nearly finished...)

kagefisk
kagefisk Posts: 74
edited November 2011 in Your mountain bikes
Will update as the project progress (read: as i get more money for the build :)).

This forum is doing some funny stuff with the images, so if your want to see the images sharp, please view the source of the images. Some images you can click on to see a larger one.

Progress
October 22, 2010
A few days ago i received the first two bits for my new build. A Intense 5.5 frame and a Fox Talas fork (complete specs below). Would have liked the fork in white, but that's how it is when buying used parts - looks like new though!
The frame have had some more use, with many scratches you can't see from this picture. Also the bearings will need replacements, as two of them can barely move. It came with a Fox DHX Air 5.0
tWrGQ.jpgView larger image

November 16, 2010
Polished and waxed the bike today! The bike had a lot of small scratches and was pretty dull in the paint. Wasn't sure how it would look like, so i gave it a go on the left chain stay. The result was better than expected - the red color got more red and a lot more glossy. First i used a cleaner/polish and then gave it some wax. Big scratches and paint chips are still present of course, but this 2008 frame just turned a year younger ;)
CnAZk.jpg
You might not be able to see the transformation, but in person it's very clear.
ijqbX.jpg
Also got some stuck bottle cage bolts out. The rivnuts were just turning around with the bolt.

December 4, 2010
Installed headset with my homemade tool today. Worked like a charm, though i do have about 0,1-0,2mm of free space between the frame and the cups. But I actually think they are fitted just perfect, as the faces of the cups are a tiny bit rounded in the corner to improve strength.
Now i just need to get the crown race fitted and maybe a spacer, so the fork will not hit the down tube. (Update: luckily, a spacer is not necessary :-))
z5Geq.jpg
I have also received a pair of Formula RX's which will be mounted later on.
At Monday i should receive some more goods from CRC :)

December 6, 2010
The goods from CRC arrived today, this is how it turned out:
8fUPS.jpgView larger image

January 31, 2011
A lot of new stuff have been bought this month including seatpost, rear derailleur, chain, tires (good deal on Nobby Nics at merlin right now!) some tools and other small parts. (see complete specifications further down).
Pictured are; SLX crankset, X0 trigger shifters, XT cassette, XT front derailleur, Jagwire Ripcord gear cable and a Topeak fork/shock pump (nicely made).
9fwXk.jpgView larger image
Basicly i just needed the crankarms, but bike-discount.de had a very nice offer and I therefore bought the whole crankset (prices on used crank arms were only a fraction cheaper, if not identical). The chain rings will be replaced with 24 tooth and 36 tooth Blackspire rings instead and a bashguard as the 3rd ring. This is also why I've choosen a medium derailleur cage. This should work nicely with the 11-34 cassette.

Now i just need some goddamn wheels! (i even got the tires!) :P

March 7, 2011
Look at those beauties! 8)

5x5pL.jpgView larger image
(Ignore the beautiful wall/carpet color combination... the room is being overhauled)

Wheels arrived from Merlin today.
Stan's Flow rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs with Nic tyres. Currently with Schwalbe tubes but I will for sure try running tubeless later. It's a shame not doing it with these rims.
Had been wondering if the rim would a tad too wide, but it's not bad at all. Perfect!
Lovely rims to work with. Tyres gets easyly on and off, bead sits perfect and sets easily with the trackpump.
Yep, the rear hub is noisy as expected!

Sadly the package from CRC, containing skewers plus Blackspire chain rings, is still under way! If I'm lucky it'll arrive later today.
Quite impressed that even though I ordered wheels one day after I ordered from CRC, the package from Merlin arrived faster...

March 8, 2011
Package with the last essential bits arrived today!
g19m8.jpgView larger image

I originally wanted both rings in black, but the black 24t was not in stock, so i went for at red one, which actually ended up looking rather good.
hBocN.jpgView larger image

Do you really think the green grips are that bad?
humXh.jpgView larger image
Ad4WG.jpgView larger image

The bike is not finished yet, but i can ride it now! Took it for a test run on the asphalt, and it was very funny to ride as the suspension was not dialed in at all. I now got it tuned in and it feels great. But i guess i will have to adjust it finally when on the trail (not going to be to day).
Gear shifting feels extremely precise. Definitely the best is have tried yet.

What is still need (want...) to fix is: new pedals (the mounted ones are just temporary), white brake hose (to match the gear housing), Intense stickers (very important! ;)) and white saddle (still waiting for my White Spoon saddle from Wiggle, 2-3 months since i ordered).

Specifications
Frame: Intense 5.5 EVP 2008 Large Red
Shock: Fox DHX Air 5.0 2008
Forks: Fox 32 Talas 140 RLC 2008/2010
Bars: Controltech One - 660mm 20mm Rise 31.8mm White
Stem: Truvativ Hussefelt - 60mm 0deg 31.8mm Blast Black
Headset: FSA Orbit MX Black
Spacers: Nuke Proof Turbine 15mm 1.1/8"
Grips: Lizard Skins Charger Lock On Bonus Pack Neon Green
Bar Ends: Lizard Skins Deluxe MTB White

Front Brake Lever assy: Formula RX Black
Front Caliper: Formula RX Black/Red
Front disc: Formula 180mm
Rear Brake Lever assy: Formula RX Black
Rear Caliper: Formula RX Black/Red
Rear Disc: Formula 160mm
Hoses: Formula Black (for now...)

Shifters: SRAM X0 9sp Carbon
Cables: Jagwire Ripcord Gear Cable MTB White
Front Mech: Shimano Deore XT FD-M770
Rear Mech: SRAM X9 9sp 2011 Medium
Chain Device: None

Seat: Charge Spoon White
Seat Post: Nuke Proof Warhead 31.6mm 400mm Black
Seat Post Clamp: Specialized Black

Cranks: Shimano SLX FC-M660 175mm
Chainring(s): Blackspire Super Pro 24t/36t - Red/Black
Chain: KMC X9L Silver
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT CS-M770
Pedals: Wellgo V8 Silver
Bottom Bracket: Shimano SM-BB70

Front Wheel: Built by Merlin
Rim: Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow White
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition Black
Hub: Hope Pro 2 Black QR
Tube: Schwalbe AV13
Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25" Evolution Snakeskin
Skewer: Halo Porkies White

Back Wheel: Built by Merlin
Rim: Stan's NoTubes ZTR Flow White
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition Black
Hub: Hope Pro 2 Black QR
Tube: Schwalbe AV13
Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.25" Evolution Snakeskin
Skewer: Halo Porkies White

Weight: 30,53 lbs (13,85 kg) at the moment

Other info:
SRAM Powerlink Connector
Bender Fender 2.0 Black (not attached atm)
Blackspire Ring God C4 White
Token TK3292 Valve Caps Red
NSK DU6001 bearings
6901RS bearings

Total estimated cost: 1400 £

Comments

• nik young
    nik young Posts: 257
    Nice I rode a 6.6 with a coil shock for a while and loved it
  • Sounds great! Can't wait to get it finished and try it my self.
  • Looking good so far! I think the red and grey will go together well at the end of everything!
  • Did some beautification on the frame today.

MountainMonster:
    It will have to!
  • Installed headset with my homemade tool today. Worked like a charm, though i do have about 0,1-0,2mm of free space between the frame and the cups. But I actually think they are fitted just perfect, as the faces of the cups are a tiny bit rounded in the corner to improve strength.
    Now i just need to get the crown race fitted and maybe a spacer, so the fork will not hit the down tube.
    z5Geq.jpg
    I have also received a pair of Formula RX's which will be mounted later on.
    At Monday i should receive some more goods from CRC :)
  • The goods from CRC arrived today, this is how it turned out:

8fUPS.jpg
    View larger image
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    really nice. how i love build threads :D

why the green grips? red would have looked a lot nicer
  • I was thinking the same as post above me.

Looks like things are going quite well. The homemade headset tool actually looks quite good!
  • jay12
    I'm glad I can fulfill your desires, or at least that you like the thread :D.
    Now i can see you and also MountainMonster has commented the neon green grips. I do think it looks great though - maybe it's because i have an idea of the complete bike or maybe it's just because we have different taste :). I guess we'll have to wait and see for the build to finish. Should it end up looking like crap, the grips would be fairly easy and cheap to replace!

MountainMonster
    The headset press works very well. I would actually say that it's ridiculous to pay 10 times the price for the Park Tool HHP-3 tool or something similar, as this does exactly the same - possibly better. The Park Tool one is indeed a little more "finished", with its rubberized grips and tool-less operation.
    I know I'm not the inventor of such homemade tool, however below is how my one looks like. I added some small slices of PP to protect the cups and two sockets to keep them centered - which the HHP-3 don't have... The nut in the middle is used to adjust the upper socket to the length of the head tube. I'm not saying all headset presses are a waste of money, but for us home mechanics only installing a few amount of headsets, tools like the HHP-2 is just not worth it.
    p4B7a.jpgView larger image

Thank you both for your comments!
  • A lot of new stuff have been bought this month including seatpost, rear derailleur, chain, tires (good deal on Nobby Nics at merlin right now!) some tools and other small parts. (see complete specifications further down).
    Pictured are; SLX crankset, X0 trigger shifters, XT cassette, XT front derailleur, Jagwire Ripcord gear cable and a Topeak fork/shock pump (nicely made).
    9fwXk.jpg
    Basicly i just needed the crankarms, but bike-discount.de had a very nice offer and I therefore bought the whole crankset (prices on used crank arms were only a fraction cheaper, if not identical). The chain rings will be replaced with 24 tooth and 36 tooth Blackspire rings instead and a bashguard as the 3rd ring. This is also why I've choosen a medium derailleur cage. This should work nicely with the 11-34 cassette.

Now i just need some goddamn wheels! (i even got the tires!) :P
  • can't wait to see it built
  • I hate to burst the bubble, but you do realise you bought a Shimano XT front derailleur, and have X0 shifters, which are incompatible?

Other than that, very nice looking.
  • getonyourbike
    Trust me, i can't either!

MountainMonster
    As far as i know Shimano and SRAM front derailleurs and shifters can be mixed in any way. The rear derailluers can't however.
  • jay12
    kagefisk wrote:

MountainMonster
    As far as i know Shimano and SRAM front derailleurs and shifters can be mixed in any way. The rear derailluers can't however.

correct, the front derailleurs have the same ratio, but the rear have a different ratio
  • Exactly jay12. Should work just fine with XT FD and X9 RD with X0 triggers :)
  • interesting...
    just built mine up. frame came off the bay. Touched-up the red, stripped the back end, new bearings and made-up some stickers. Also made a little stoneguard underneath as I get loads of rocks thrown up and denting frames. Built-up, 28.4 lbs, will try and lose innertubes this weekend. It's replacing an old Patriot. The Intense is a lot stiffer, more comfy and easier on the ups. Going down? The Orange may just have it. To be fair, it's been well-muddy this week and so couldn't go flat-out, but the Intense has a lot of bob when you crank it and blows through travel so fast; I'm surprised I've got any pedals left. I've had a 4-way swinger on aswell and it was the same on that, so I'm not totally blaming the rp2. There's some longer forks on the way next week which will hopefully help out with raising the bb. http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc363/barzy38/
  • barzy38
    Thanks for your post!
    28,4 lbs is a very respectable weight, I'm hoping for something just around 30, preferably just below :) What components do you use? Especially the fork (and the length of it)?
    Sure you have enough presure in the fork and shock?

Ohh, by the way... just ordered wheels today. Hopefully i can soon ride it!
  • jay12
    Stan's Flow rims in white on some black Hope Pro 2 hubs laced with DT Swiss Competition spokes in black too.

When i get them i just need some few more parts and the bike will (finally) be ready to ride! Pheew, it took quite some months (I'm a student...).
  • jay12
    awesome, good choice on the pro2, great hubs!

sweet, this will look very nice when done.

haha i know the feeling, the only way for me to get money is from a paper round!!
  • jay12
    Can see in your build thread you have the Pro 2's as well. A lot of people say they are noisy, but i guess i will get used to it. Should be plenty tough for the money.
  • jay12
    kagefisk wrote:
    jay12
    Can see in your build thread you have the Pro 2's as well. A lot of people say they are noisy, but i guess i will get used to it. Should be plenty tough for the money.
    yes, noisy is cool though :), easiest way to make them quiter is to pack it up with grase.

this is a good video showing how easy it is to take apart
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgUvv76H28

and to put the freehub back on you don't need a tool really. i found that if you just push teh freehub in and then use a flathead to put teh seal on it works the same.

so if you get annoyed by the loud noise it makes just do that, it's a very simple job, one of many advanatges of the pro2
  • Apparently cool enough that quite some people has posted vids on YT with their noisy hubs :o

I've actually seen that rebuild video already, when i did my research :)

Thanks for the assembling tips.
  • http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... ure006.jpg
    should be a pic of build.
    lots of Hope
    Stans ztr Arch rims; really nice
    slx drive
    easton carbon bars
    titanium seatpost; no-name chinese jobby off the bay, pretty good for 30-odd quid
    Wellgo magnesium pedals
    wtb titanium saddle; looks awful but pretty comfy and light
    nobby nics; rear one just arrived, £20 from on-one! brilliant so far
    hayes stroker brakes; ok but need to rebuild the back calliper, always needs adjusting
    latex milk hasn't arrived yet, but should be tubeless for next weekend
    maybe...
    forks are 130 revs; never been that impressed with them after the coils I used to run. 150 sounds a lot, maybe 140mm would be a good choice, definitely with maxle
    will let you know how it rides when it's sorted
  • barzy38
    Looks like my build is going to be a little heaver then. I've got alu bars, Flow rims, alu seatpost and (for a start at least) alu pedals. Starting out with tubes as well - we'll see if I change my mind.

I don't think 150mm is too much on the 5.5, but of course i don't know for obvious reasons. From what I've read/seen around the web, 140/150mm is probably the most used length on the 5.5. Some even use 160mm.
  • kagefisk
    Look at those beauties! 8)

5x5pL.jpgView larger image
    (Ignore the beautiful wall/carpet color combination... the room is being overhauled)

Wheels arrived from Merlin today.
    Stan's Flow rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs with Nic tyres. Currently with Schwalbe tubes but I will for sure try running tubeless later. It's a shame not doing it with these rims.
    Had been wondering if the rim would a tad too wide, but it's not bad at all. Perfect!
    Lovely rims to work with. Tyres gets easyly on and off, bead sits perfect and sets easily with the trackpump.
    Yep, the rear hub is noisy as expected!

Sadly the package from CRC, containing skewers plus Blackspire chain rings, is still under way! If I'm lucky it'll arrive later today.
    Quite impressed that even though I ordered wheels one day after I ordered from CRC, the package from Merlin arrived faster...
  • kagefisk
    Package with the last essential bits arrived today!
    g19m8.jpgView larger image

I originally wanted both rings in black, but the black 24t was not in stock, so i went for at red one, which actually ended up looking rather good.
    hBocN.jpgView larger image

Do you really think the green grips are that bad?
    humXh.jpgView larger image
    Ad4WG.jpgView larger image

The bike is not finished yet, but i can ride it now! Took it for a test run on the asphalt, and it was very funny to ride as the suspension was not dialed in at all. I now got it tuned in and it feels great. But i guess i will have to adjust it finally when on the trail (not going to be to day).
    Gear shifting feels extremely precise. Definitely the best is have tried yet.

What is still need (want...) to fix is: new pedals (the mounted ones are just temporary), white brake hose (to match the gear housing), Intense stickers (very important! ;)) and white saddle (still waiting for my White Spoon saddle from Wiggle, 2-3 months since i ordered).
  • Very very lovely. Only gripe is the green grips, just don't go well with the bike.

Loving that crankset though! All the parts go together so well!
  • kagefisk
    Thank you. I have had quite some time to match the parts almost as I wanted. I actually ended up being very very happy with the gray colored fork, which looks great, as you said it would ;)