Chasing Legends

Specialized Needs
Specialized Needs Posts: 802
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone else out there see this film yesterday? It centres around the HTC team in the 2009 TdF, but throws in some history as well.

I saw it at the O2 with my wife. I enjoyed it greatly (and the live Q&A after), but it did take a few minutes for me to settle down into it (I was a bit restless until they had covered about half of the Monaco prologue section). I found that it gave me a good insight into the characters on the team - not just the cyclists but the support staff - and the pressures on the individuals in the TdF.

An enjoyable 90 mins or so IMHO.

Comments

• Yep - had the DVD on order from the US since pre-release. It's good, though I think I would have enjoyed it more had I not watched the "Beyond the Peloton" podcast series that Cervelo put out about Cervelo Test Team. Quite similar, so the underlying idea wasn't quite as novel as it would otherwise have been.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Wish I'd known about it. Can't believe they've done a one night only showing & its 34USD for a DVD!!?
  • iPete wrote:
    Wish I'd known about it. Can't believe they've done a one night only showing & its 34USD for a DVD!!?
    I think the UK DVD launch is early December. It may be cheaper just after Christmas.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I also took my wife to the O2 to see it, she's been so excited all week!

I really enjoyed it and she thought it was a good insight for a non cyclist.

We both thought the live Q&A was excellent but I suspect for different reasons (she obviously has a thing for awesome cyclists with huge thighs).
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • the trailer looks class. is there much behind the scenes footage, of what their at after the race each day, recovery, diet etc?
  • theres a few little scenes about what goes on after the stages, not a great deal tbh.

its basically HTC's 09 TDF documented
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • iPete wrote:

Same here! I'm using an e-mail address with btinternet/yahoo, and I have a spam filter. Thing is, this filter read the announcement as spam and I never got it until Thursday late evening! when I decided to check it. I am lucky I still have a functioning PC at home, because I felt like smashing it up!!! I can't believe I missed this!!!! :x

And why does it have to be just one showing? I think it would do cycling a gread deal of good if this movie was shown as any other movie. IMO
  • Butterd2 wrote:
    I also took my wife to the O2 to see it, she's been so excited all week!

I really enjoyed it and she thought it was a good insight for a non cyclist.

We both thought the live Q&A was excellent but I suspect for different reasons (she obviously has a thing for awesome cyclists with huge thighs).

He, heeee, who woudn't???? I would have LOOOOOVED to see Cav on a massive screen....! :wink:
  • And why does it have to be just one showing? I think it would do cycling a gread deal of good if this movie was shown as any other movie. IMO
    It is an independent film. I guess it was difficult to get any kind of distribution deal.

The idea of simultaneously playing at 53 UK & Irish cinemas followed by a live broadcast was probably just enough of a gimmick to get the distribution that they did.
  • MarjMJ
    MarjMJ Posts: 35
    Was great. Only found out about it though through a CTC e-mail, but made sure I booked tix.

My fave bits were
    1. Watching just how much instructions they got on the time trial.
    2. The low level car shots of the TTT - wooo
    3. Seeing just how much the bikecams cant over to follow the racers. We watch pretty much every race we can on Eurosport and you are always caught up in the skill of the riders, particularly on mountain descents. Those cameraman must have some big cohones.

My favourite Cav comment [after he'd managed to stop fidgeting] was 'You know that bit in you that says "I shouldn't do that". Well, we don't have that'. :twisted:

Have seen similar stuff intermmittently on Eurosport - they followed Cofidis one Tour. I reckon to be a DS, aside from having the abilty to be a tactical genius, you have to be able to drive with your knees while eating a baguette and handing a drinks bottle out the window while screaming Venga venga venga or somesuch.

:lol:
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    http://chasinglegends.com/film_tour/

more cinema dates for those who didn't catch it first time round....

Nov-17 UK Falmouth Phoenix, Falmouth www.merlincinemas.co.uk
    Nov-3 UK Newcastle Tyneside Cinema www.tynesidecinema.co.uk/
    Nov-4 UK Newcastle Tyneside Cinema www.tynesidecinema.co.uk/
    Nov-25 UK Stirling Macrobert, Stirling http://www.macrobert.stir.ac.uk/
    Jan-7 UK Stirling Macrobert, Stirling http://www.macrobert.stir.ac.uk/
    Nov-15 UK Uckfield Picturehouse Uckfield http://www.picturehouseuckfield

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    If it's not in 3d or on blu-ray - I am not interested......

*I have no idea what blu-ray is.....
  • Trying to bag this for xmas... Anyone have any ideas when its out in the UK?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    2 December
  • Trying to bag this for xmas... Anyone have any ideas when its out in the UK?

Available here;
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2832
    next week!
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    2 December
    Any idea where? Can't see it on Play or Amazon.
  • I've ordered it from the film makers website. Still won't ship until the 2nd of December though.

http://www.grippedstore.com/product-p/chasing_legends.htm?1=1&CartID=0
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    gtvlusso wrote:
    If it's not in 3d or on blu-ray - I am not interested......

*I have no idea what blu-ray is.....

Blu ray will be more likely January, but it is in the works. Info from the distributor whom I emailed.