Commencal Meta 55 (pics and update on P2)

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited October 2010 in Your mountain bikes
photo-114.jpg

It's getting there :)

Anyone know which was is pro pedal on on an rp2 shock?
There is a + and - but the manual says there are words and the valve is in a different location!!

Oh and anyone with a 2010 meta, please could you take a pic of how your cable is routed underneath.... I'm confused :(

Comments

• Bouncy indeed.

Is that stem not a bit long though?

I'd imagine it's probably a similar weight to the P7 too when it's finished.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847

Anyone know which was is pro pedal on on an rp2 shock?

On my EX8 the lever needs to be flicked to the drain train side to be in pro-pedal mode. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    + is more propedal damping, - is less.
    Simplez.
  • Anonymous
    Have you tried clipless?
  • M.Cole wrote:
    Have you tried clipless?

Yes... sold my shoes about a week ago :wink:
    Didn't work well with my knees :(
  • Bouncy indeed.

Is that stem not a bit long though?

I'd imagine it's probably a similar weight to the P7 too when it's finished.

Nah the stem is spot on, the frame is actually a bit shorter than the P7 so I needed a bit of extra cockpit room so i'm not too cramped. I'm not sure on the length, but it doesn't feel much longer than my 70mm Thomson stem when i'm on the bike.
    I may revert back to my wider bars though, but the extra height on the Monkeylights seems to make sense when the rear is sagging a bit.

Sooooooo glad I didn't go for the XLarge frame instead though , the Large is just about right.

Yup should hopefuly come in at the same weight at the P7 if not lighter.

Remote seatpost suspension thingy is definately being bought though. The Seatpost tube tapers near the bottom so I can't put the seatpost down fully.
    And i don't want to cut the seatpost becasue its carbon lol.

How are you getting on with the CB seatpost>
  • + is more propedal damping, - is less.
    Simplez.

• Remote seatpost suspension thingy is definitely being bought though. The Seatpost tube tapers near the bottom so I can't put the seatpost down fully.
    And i don't want to cut the seatpost becasue its carbon lol.

How are you getting on with the CB seatpost>

Do it!

Great investment, works really well, you can't notice the play when you're riding and as Sheeps recently found out, the service you get is outstanding. Just ignore what the haters say, they're all ghey anyway :lol:

Miond you, all that being said, I only went for the Joplin because it was massively reduced at CRC. had it been the usual price, I think it would have been harder to choose between it and its rivals.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The pro pedal is activated by turning in the direction of more rebound. As I recall that would be poking out to the left as you are sat on your bike (pointing towards non drive)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Anonymous
    The Seatpost tube tapers near the bottom so I can't put the seatpost down fully.
    Can anyone say "bad design oversight"?
  • Anonymous
    considering there is no point to fs or dropper posts, im glad to see you getting both.

that'll look nice when done and i reckon a dropper post will make the bike perfect. i
  • The Seatpost tube tapers near the bottom so I can't put the seatpost down fully.
    Can anyone say "bad design oversight"?

Tell me about it!

But to be fair, I could probably lop 1ft off the seatpost and still have enough left to run it long enough!
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    As your sat on the bike looking down at the shock the lever should be over to the right for pro pedal to be on..
  • Anonymous
    D-Cyph3r wrote:
    On my EX8 the lever needs to be flicked to the drain train side to be in pro-pedal mode. :wink:
    benpinnick wrote:
    The pro pedal is activated by turning in the direction of more rebound. As I recall that would be poking out to the left as you are sat on your bike (pointing towards non drive)
    hyperman wrote:
    As your sat on the bike looking down at the shock the lever should be over to the right for pro pedal to be on..

This forum is awesome :lol:
  • Sitting on your bike and looking down - It's to the left on your bike, to the right on mine! My shock runs parallel to the top tube, yours is set in a different position! I think...

Nice bike, I like it :D
  • Anonymous
    Sitting on your bike and looking down - It's to the left on your bike, to the right on mine! My shock runs parallel to the top tube, yours is set in a different position! I think...

Nice bike, I like it :D
    You can still have the shock rotated through 180 degrees though. Whether it's parallel to the top tube, or seat tube doesn't make a blind bit of difference.
  • Oh yeah, it can be set up the other way round too!... :lol:

His is left though right? :?
  • Anonymous
    Facepalm.jpg
  • Anonymous
    i heard you need to adjust it with the left hand shifter.

or, try it each position and see hat difference it makes, that normally does the trick i find.
  • :lol:

Stoopid!

Someone asked if they could borrow my fork rebound adjuster the other day.. I'm like - Oh, does that bit come out? :lol:
  • It's left, unless it's upside down,in which case, it's right, depending on which direction you're looking at it from, and which wayup the bike is at the time, and if you're in the northern or southern hemisphere.

Hope that helps :D
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Yay, a Meta, wise move. I flogged my Mojo recently, it was a bit short and I still went faster on the Meta (even though it had all my older, heavier bits on). The Meta will feel a bit odd when you first ride it, but hold back on opinions until you're hammering down some trails. So much traction, it's lovely.

I was sorely tempted by that frame, the deal Realcycles were doing with a set of QR15 Floats, the mention of the shorter top tube scared me off and I decided to keep the old one instead.

Err, and buy a Pitch Pro too, but that's another thread I should start some time.
  • Lmao, think I got the idea with the propedal thanks all :)

Sat on it with no chain and did a bit of pedaling to see what happened.... Really does make a difference, even when just sat in my front room!

Oh and no adjustable seatpost for me yet... Got the carbon post cut in the lbs this morning :)

Hardest part was trying to figure out how to route the cables and how a multi direction XT front mech works when using a down pull setup! PITA!

Bike is fully built now, really really happy. I'll get some pics up later.

CwmCarn tomorrow morning for a tryout!!

Toasty the tt is about 7mm shorted than the P7 iirc, but the seatpost is angled back quite a bit which really makes up for it.
    Combo of a bit of a longer stem and higher rise bars seems to have sorted the position out nicely.

I've ditched the floats and kept the revs though :)
  • Oh and no adjustable seatpost for me yet... Got the carbon post cut in the lbs this morning :)

Ghey!
  • Went to CwmCarn today.... what can I say..... it was epic :D:D

Few things... although the FS climbs better on rocky but steady ground, when the climbing gets technical (roots, stepups etc) its no way as easy as a HT.
    I need to get used to not being able to stand up while climbing technical stuff, as soon as I stood up the suspension started working and it was very hard to climb without being bounced off!!
    Pro pedal is awesome though, really really makes a difference between on/off when climbing!

The downhill was awesome though. I can safely say i've never been quite so fast down a hill on a MTB!
    The Meta just seemed to soak everything up. After a few runs down the freeride section and a few tweeks to the rear shock it was great. Really inspires confidence.
    Its a lot easier to set the front suspension properly without a rear shock though!

Now it is very true that with FS you can just plough through terrain like a madman when going down hill, but coming from a HT it was great to know that if I didn't choose my line very well I could rely on the suspension to get me out safe.
    However- I felt like because I didn't have to worry, I was able to pick better + faster lines because I could concentrate more!
    I just need to get used to the huge wheelbase though!

Now i'm not saying I dont really like my HT... but this thing is bloody good fun and worth every penny! :D

Am still considering an adjustable remote seapost thing though... lol.

Few pics after a clean.....

photo-117.jpg
    photo-116.jpg
    photo-115.jpg
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Very nice Benji!

You've a new bike everytime I visit BR (admittedly not that often... :roll: ) Though a sweet build non the less, I may have to look into this full bouncy trend...
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I need to get used to not being able to stand up while climbing technical stuff, as soon as I stood up the suspension started working and it was very hard to climb without being bounced off!!

Yeah, that is the one achiles heel in my opinion, and I bet why it gets the odd lacking review. The very soft suspension really doesn't promote standing on the front end mashing, you get used to riding a bit differently though, you get a silly amount of traction and it's a beast downhill! Crazy good fun for launching off everything in sight.

I bet you end up not riding the hardtail nearly as much ;)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Can't wait to get you out on Cwm with us on this machine, I should have got my hung over ass out of bed Yesterday...
  • Toasty
    What hardtail?! :P :wink:

Nah The P7 sold (well it gets posted tomorrow along with the extras from the commencal factory kit that I haven't used).

The riding down here seems a bit different to what i'm used to... especially as i'm only 20 mins from CwmCarn... so I decided it was time for a proper change.

If it wasn't for the great deal from Real Cyles in the meta with the factory i kit I wouldn't have done it tbh... it would have cost me a whole lot more!
  • Can't wait to get you out on Cwm with us on this machine, I should have got my hung over ass out of bed Yesterday...

Lazy fecker!

Fancy doing a day on the uplift once I have my helmet and pads down here?