which wheelset £3-500?

ham_2010
ham_2010 Posts: 20
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
Having sorted out a new bike (at last!) I have some budget left in order to upgrade the wheelset.

Which wheelset would be best value between £3-500? I love the look of aero wheels but I'm aware these are typically very expensive. I do like the look of the new mavic cosmic elites (30mm rim depth) which are around £350.

One final issue: II'm 85kg so strength is also a big factor.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• m8 have a look at the Easton range, I run some EA 90 SLX, not a bad wheelset, you may need to shop around to get under budget.

I am 90kg, was 120kg when I started, some wheels have a weight limit, Easton so far as I know do not, either way 100kg is a normal weight limit (if applicable) if memory serves. so you are under that.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you are worried about strength and the possibility of the odd popped spoke then a nice set of handbuilts would seem to hit the mark. I recently bought some secondhand Open Pro rims/Record hubs and they roll like, err, something very rolly and smooth. For £500 sobs you could go for some brand new DuraAce hubs which are simply beautiful.
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Another vote for Eastons, I have a set of EA70's, and they are great wheels.
  • EA90 SL's here, and love them to bits, the Dura Ace CLs are meant to be wonderful as well for sameish price.

Depnds what you want to use them for!
  • I currently have a set of easton vista sl's on my hybrid which I love, so I have experience of Easton Wheels. However, my LBS recently told me that due to multiple failures they no longer stock easton wheels. Are they really this unreliable? I've always been chuffed with the vista sl's.
  • As was mentioned in another thread recently - Merlin cycles currently have Fulcrum Racing 1s on sale for 499.

They seem to get good reviews and appear light and strong. In fact I've just bought a set for myself.
  • If strength is an issue and you're a big lad I'd avoid the Fulcrum Race 1's.
    I've got a set of these and the rear regularly goes out of true (100mls or so). Consequently they sit in the garage unused.

Personally I'd go for a set of handmades from a respected wheelbuilder. Ive used Harry Rowland (i'm sure there's many more) and have never had any trouble in thousands of miles and like you I'm a lump (100kg give or take a pie).

JS
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=10

I've got these in white and love them.

I think you'll struggle to match the weight and quality for the price.
  • trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    did you buy them from the US? Did you get taxed on them coming into the UK?

i was thinking about the 40mm clinchers, but im a little dubious getting it into the UK without the 20% stamp from customs :(
  • milese
    trailstar wrote:
    did you buy them from the US? Did you get taxed on them coming into the UK?

i was thinking about the 40mm clinchers, but im a little dubious getting it into the UK without the 20% stamp from customs :(

I paid about £30 tax for mine; they actually come from Singapore.
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    The Dura Ace CL are great wheels. The RRP was £680. I paid £630 with discount at my LBS.

Merlin have now got them at £499

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... s_1492.htm
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Has anyone actually asked the op, what the current wheels he has on his new bike?

It could be that they are a half decent set anyway :D
  • Milese wrote:
    http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=10

I've got these in white and love them.

I think you'll struggle to match the weight and quality for the price.

Milese, thanks for the link. Definately worth a thought. I've fancied aero wheels for a very very long time.

I have decided over the last few days that even if I bought a great set of wheels I'd always be hankering after aero wheels, so I am going to put my money towards these and hope they provide me with the fulfillment I desire!

I've identified;

1. Fuerte bici 50mm carbon clinchers
    2. Above previous budget, but Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's
    3. Soul 4.0 clinchers (thanks Milese...)

Does anyone have any opinions on the above wheels? I'm a bit unsure on the fuerte bicis as they have carbon rims - I'm afraid they'll either be destroyed by my weight or make me career unsafely down hills. Are these worries baseless?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    ham_2010 wrote:
    Milese wrote:
    http://bikesoul.com/2009/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=10

I have decided over the last few days that even if I bought a great set of wheels I'd always be hankering after aero wheels, so I am going to put my money towards these and hope they provide me with the fulfillment I desire!

Not as good as a bl*w j*b I think you'll find!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Wheelset for £3?? Yes please!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Wheelset for £3?? Yes please!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • milese
    This might help:

Personally I'd plump for carbon ones. You dont want to buy them and then hanker for the lighter carbon ones. Your not that heavy!

DSCN0169.JPG

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... 4.0%20soul

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ul#p433079
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    garrynolan wrote:
    Wheelset for £3?? Yes please!

How about these?

lego-wheels.jpg

You'll get change from £3 :)
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Milese

Thanks for the links, they do look fantastic (the main reason I want aero wheels - how vain am i?!)

I'm not sure on the full carbon rims - I'm a little worried about braking performance etc. To be honest, if I'm going full carbon I'll go for the fuerte bici's which are only £450 and 1550g .
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,898
    The more I think about it the more carbon clinchers kind of make sense.

Great if you train on your own a lot, great if you do a few chaingangs (save those watts for the final sprint :lol: ) and great if you only do a few races a year.

I know tubs are normally lighter, roll better etc but say you do 1 race a week over 4 months (which is normally our summer) then it works out you would use your tubs 16 times a year. Which seems silly to pay a lot of money to use something so little.

Tubs are expensive if you get a flat and the 200g of extra weight with clinchers would be well worth it if you're stuck at the side of the road.

Those soul wheels look really nice 8)

But personally I would go with the fuerte bici's
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • milese
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Tubs are expensive if you get a flat and the 200g of extra weight with clinchers would be well worth it if you're stuck at the side of the road.

Expensive in that you need to replace a tyre not an inner tube, or expensive in terms of inconvenience?

How puncture resistant are tubs?

Also how easy are they to fit?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Milese wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Expensive in that you need to replace a tyre not an inner tube, or expensive in terms of inconvenience?

Expensive in that unless you know what you're doing, you'll have to send them to some old fella to fix the flat for you. He'll charge you £10-15 for the privelege.
  • rozzer32
    APIII wrote:
    Milese wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Expensive in that unless you know what you're doing, you'll have to send them to some old fella to fix the flat for you. He'll charge you £10-15 for the privelege.

Not only that but Tubs are about £40 (although Im not 100% sure) for a tyre. How much does an inner tube cost???

Also I wouldnt feel confident riding on a Tub that I had just glued to the rim at the roadside. The glue wouldn't have dried properlly.
  • But are carbon clincher rims going to be a pain? I'm set on a clincher, I love the convenience and I certainly do not need tubs, but I'm swaying on the full carbon clinchers at the moment. I'm really worried they're going to break easily/brake badly and generally be a pain.

I know the mavic's are very expensive but I'm constantly aware of the mantra "buy cheap, buy twice...thrice..." etc.
  • rozzer32
    ham_2010 wrote:
    But are carbon clincher rims going to be a pain? I'm set on a clincher, I love the convenience and I certainly do not need tubs, but I'm swaying on the full carbon clinchers at the moment. I'm really worried they're going to break easily/brake badly and generally be a pain.

I know the mavic's are very expensive but I'm constantly aware of the mantra "buy cheap, buy twice...thrice..." etc. I don't believe something is a bargain if isn't going to be ideal!

What you mean brake easily? When your changing an inner tube? Im sure they would have been tested against that and you will get a warranty with the wheels if you do have a problem.

Could always go for the new 404 carbon clincher :P only a couple of grand :lol:

And people say the heat build when braking on carbon clinchers can be a problem but it is easily solved...

Don't use your brakes 8)
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    What you mean brake easily? When your changing an inner tube? Im sure they would have been tested against that and you will get a warranty with the wheels if you do have a problem.

Could always go for the new 404 carbon clincher :P only a couple of grand :lol:

And people say the heat build when braking on carbon clinchers can be a problem but it is easily solved...

Don't use your brakes 8)

I'm just worried they're going to be brittle i.e. crack if I hit a pothole etc. And being cautious with braking isn't my idea of fun, I enjoy hurtling downhill and would like to continue to!
  • rozzer32
    Well give them plenty of testing while the warranty is still valid :)

Braking will be fine, just make sure you get some proper brake pads that are designed for carbon wheels.

Carbon clinchers are on my christmas list :)