Bearing removal Fulcrum R1 Freehub

mikegibbons
mikegibbons Posts: 25
edited December 2014 in Workshop
Hi, I'm replacing the freehub bearings. I have the outer (nearest the fork) out but the inner(nearest the spokes) is in pieces so only the outer race is still in the frrehub body. My problem is getting any kind of implement in at the correct angle to knock it out - the narrower diameter at the inner end of the freehub body - any ideas? Mike

Mike Gibbons
LE > JoG starts 18 Aug 2007

Comments

• Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Find someone who has one of these:

http://www.thetoolacademy.com/product_d ... ductId=213

It should grip the outer race, though it is designed to pull a complete bearing.
    As it is a slide hammer, it doesn't require a central spindle to be in place.

Not cheap for a one-off job!
  • I started a thread on bearing pullers some time ago... there are some as cheap as 15 pounds on the market....
    left the forum March 2023
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Put in the oven, get it up to a 200°C or so, bang it down hard on a piece of wood and the bearing, might, just might, fall out. Don't burn your fingers.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Found a wee beastie that might do the job:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T682400-Pilot-Bea ... 0667948651
  • if the fulcrum freehubs are the same as the Campag freehubs, then there is a circlip holding in the inner bearing, and it is not easy to lift the lip out. Best to drill a 2mm hole through the freehub at the point the circlip is and push it, then grip and pull, then follow the advice of warming the freehub up and getting the bearing out. Keep it hot and drop the new bearing in
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.
  • Fantastic responses - thanks everyone. After a good clean I discovered the circlip -not before I had given the bearing and the then undiscovered circlip some encouragement with my dremmel. I was contemplating my next move when the hole drilling mail came through. That's my next move....

Mike Gibbons
  • Victory is mine - the drill through method worked a treat! Now 10 quid for new bearings instead of 50 for a new freehub.

Mike Gibbons
  • Mike,

I am looking to do exactly what u did here. I changed the outer bearing of my Fulcrum R1 but couldnt access the inner one. Whats the best place to get the drill done ? At which exact part did u drill the whole ?

Thanks
    Max
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You don't really need to drill the hole - there is a part of the circlip, near the ends, where you can get a jewellers screwdriver underneath and gradually prise it out. As for drilling - measure how far the circlip is in from the end of the freehub and drill a hole that distance in. Then do it again when you realise you've got it in the wrong place!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • The design of the circlip in my hub did not give any space to get any implement in. Measure as Rolf says and then drill 2mm should do it but it's not a problem to go bigger if you don't get it right first time. In case it's not clear the hole is drilled radially from the outside of the hub. Good luck.

Mike Gibbons
  • rolf_f
    The design of the circlip in my hub did not give any space to get any implement in.

It's not easy to see - infact invisible when covered in gunk - but it should be there!
  • Rolf/Mike

Thank you so much for the quick replies - Appreciated - I should try this and feedback.
    For your information, anybody who ownes a Fulcrum freehub body on their bike should remove the stock bearing and replace them with one of these Diamond Full Ceramic Balls Grade 5 – (bearings bought from USA, custom wont hold 1 or two bearings, mine came straight through the post )
    http://www.acerracing.com/ball_bearings ... 9-126.html

The speed and smoothness gain is phenomenal. Hence why I am so keen to get the inner bearings removed/replaced as well. Since 11th Sep 2009 I been pedalling my fulcrum R1 harder with steel bearing. With the outer bearing swapped for full ceramic, I pedal less and go WAY faster (so much energy saved)

My local shop couldnt remove the clip so they dont know what the inner bearing size is.
    Mike/Rolf or anybody here who knows, if the outer bearing is a 6803-2RS, would the inner one be the same size ? I guess I will find out once I manage to remove it.

I called Fulcrum official part provider in UK (iride.co.uk) and the support team will not tell me the inner bearing size. Really Shame but I will find out very soon. They said, the manufacturer doesn’t want the hub to be serviceable and instead the customer should buy a new freehub for £70 where all is needed is a new bearing and the hub is back a NEW. Mike was right in saying “10 quid for new bearings instead of 50 for a new freehub”

Finally thanks to everybody here for their comment/suggestions. Really helpful

Max
  • rolf_f
    humanspeed wrote:
    My local shop couldnt remove the clip so they dont know what the inner bearing size is.
    Mike/Rolf or anybody here who knows, if the outer bearing is a 6803-2RS, would the inner one be the same size ? I guess I will find out once I manage to remove it.

The inner is indeed the same size.
  • Thank you Rolf
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It really does sound as if they don't want you to be able to replace the inner bearing yourself...

Even with the drilling faff it still sounds easier than dismantling a Shimano Freehub though.
  • @humanspeed - just to clarify before I go down this path myself with my Fulcrum Zero's - can you confirm if those Ceramic bearings you linked to are definitely the correct size for the Freehub body bearings? How'd you go getting the old ones out and new ones in?

My freehub is making a proper grinding noise - I assumed it was the hub bearings but looks like it's the freewheel.
  • The circlip that seems to cause so much hassle, can easily be popped out using a pair of Teng circlip pliers which catch the circlip hole perfectly. I can give the part number to anyone who wants it.
    Greetings from the wet and windy North west
  • @ marcuswhit - sorry I was away.
    Fulcrum racing 0 &1 uses the same free hubbody. The bearing size is 6803 also called 61803 Bearing - size 17x26x5mm. U will enjoy cycling like u have never done: FAST with less effort.
    The free hub has 2 bearings, the outer one is fairly easy to remove (most cycle shop have the bearing press in/out tool). However the inner bearing can be hard to remove bcoz of "circlip" holding in the bearing, see how to do from these link:
    http://www.cycle-tech.co.uk/2013/12/bic ... -road.html
    http://acatalepsia.org/wp-content/uploa ... lip_v1.jpg

If u can find a local engineer, he can easily remove the inner one. Either by drilling a small hole or using the correct plies to remove the sirclip holding the bearing.

Plies like one of these http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216 ... oupID=1453

Any more questions, pls ask
  • Hi all,

Completed this procedure on my Racing 3's last night. Not sure if I'm missing something here but the circlip is as easy to remove and re-install as any other circlip, with a pair of circlip pliers? (these are mine: http://www.tooled-up.com/product/draper-5-piece-circlip-plier-set/14130/?Referrer=googleproductlisting&gclid=CjwKEAiAnLGjBRCk_I-y_4iAmB0SJADGjWWzjndAp6ir7JjW3i3RlZwJIhh-QbA1QzwtGfz7-dSRVxoCRqnw_wcB)

As the previous posts have said, the bearings are 6803_2RS, but you can read the size on the bearing dust covers before buying.

For pressing in, if you have a socket set, then just use the closest matching socket (one big enough to engage with the outer rim of the bearing, but small enough to slide easily into the body of the freehub) - plus a vice.

All done in 30 mins, no need for drilling. Hope that helps.
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    There is a pair of Teng circlip pliers that does the job well. I can find the part no for them if anyone is interested. Once the circlip is out the job is easy enough.
  • Hi, there - please provide me with the part number - thank you
  • shaw8670
    shaw8670 Posts: 264
    The circlip pliers are MB 470-5

and will do the job with no song and dance.