Ooh Lovely

roger_merriman
roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
5099597197_c442b0847f_z.jpg

lovely light yesterday.

any one else have a pretty commute? then show us your pics!

Comments

• [
    lovely light yesterday.

any one else have a pretty commute? then show us your pics!
    Nice picture. I noticed the same thing myself yesterday when riding along the canal towpath. Shafts of light through the trees highlighted by the mist rising off the canal.
    Sadly I was already late for work at that point so didn't stop to take a picture. :( I'll see if I can capture one tomorrow.

Riding at this time through the countryside is especially good when the weather isn't foul.

Mike
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    By the time I start cycling in the sun is already up and it's dark by the time I head home so no fancy sunset shots for me
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    don't ever really stop and take photos of SE London on my commute. I suppose the only beautfil view I've taken a piccie of this year is:

37695_452583991412_692161412_6738111_7089467_n-300x225.jpg

was very nice to see though :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Wish I'd had a camera the other week - heading back over Chelsea bridge with the last smudge of orange on the horizon, a beautifully clear sky graduating from yellow through to deep blue, the illuminated cables of the bridge, and through those cables, a crescent moon.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Alphabet wrote:
    don't ever really stop and take photos of SE London on my commute. I suppose the only beautfil view I've taken a piccie of this year is:

What is that??? :?: A dark street sign? Actually I've seen some pretty stunning sunrises behind Tower Bridge (from London Bridge or when I'm running milennium bridge) on the way in but as you say, I don't stop to take snaps, you end up losing your spot in the peleton...
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&hq=&h ... 85.82,,0,5

Quite often, at this time of year, there is a mist hanging over the valley; you'll have to imagine that part though as I also don't really stop to take pictures on my commute.

Except for this commute, that sadly I don't have any more:
    P1100196.JPG
    Telespazio.JPG
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet wrote:

What is that??? :?: A dark street sign? Actually I've seen some pretty stunning sunrises behind Tower Bridge (from London Bridge or when I'm running milennium bridge) on the way in but as you say, I don't stop to take snaps, you end up losing your spot in the peloton...

The first sign mentioning Dunwich on the Dunwich Dynamo earlier this year. 120 miles ish overnight starting in Hackney.

*coughhereismywriteupofitcough* http://www.urbantravelblog.com/feature/dunwich-dynamo

• OT but that's an excellent account of the Dynamo you've written there.
  • Alphabet

OT but that's an excellent account of the Dynamo you've written there.

thanks very much :)
  • Headhuunter
    Alphabet wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

What is that??? :?: A dark street sign? Actually I've seen some pretty stunning sunrises behind Tower Bridge (from London Bridge or when I'm running milennium bridge) on the way in but as you say, I don't stop to take snaps, you end up losing your spot in the peloton...

The first sign mentioning Dunwich on the Dunwich Dynamo earlier this year. 120 miles ish overnight starting in Hackney.

*coughhereismywriteupofitcough* http://www.urbantravelblog.com/feature/dunwich-dynamo

Oh I see. Good write up. You need to take it to the next level. Enough of this Haribo/pick n mix/pub stops, come out with Dulwich Paragon sometime - they pass through Elmers End every Sat on the morning club ride, that seems to be near you. Also GS Avanti do 120 miler to Rye on the coast and back. The 120 miles starts from near Chelsfield station however so there's a bit of a ride to get to the start. It's a great one though, you and your puncture repair kit with a couple of bananas, couple of nrg bars and some nrg drink and the peleton and then pretty much non stop to Rye and back (cafe break in Rye itself).
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    When I wasn't almost running over kangaroo hunting roller skiers in Richmond Park last night, there was a beautiful (almost) full moon that was so bright its shine threw shadows.
  • A couple taken on the way to work this morning:

30kdphy.jpg

10elb2w.jpg
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

Oh I see. Good write up. You need to take it to the next level. Enough of this Haribo/pick n mix/pub stops, come out with Dulwich Paragon sometime - they pass through Elmers End every Sat on the morning club ride, that seems to be near you. Also GS Avanti do 120 miler to Rye on the coast and back. The 120 miles starts from near Chelsfield station however so there's a bit of a ride to get to the start. It's a great one though, you and your puncture repair kit with a couple of bananas, couple of nrg bars and some nrg drink and the peloton and then pretty much non stop to Rye and back (cafe break in Rye itself).

Have been tempted to join Dulwich Paragon actually as they do indeed go practically past my house (South Eden Park Road). my only worry is that my road bike is a fixie, so i'd inevitably get dropped on the hills - seem to be quite a few slow ones at the back from my observations though :)

As for Rye and back, my folks live in Orpington, so they could be a good start point for me...

I think the main issue is that i cycle for fun, definitely not for fitness. I enjoyed the pubbing and stuff on the DD - they're what made it fun and memorable. Plus every other ride seems to start far too early in the morning :)
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I had utterly breathtaking views all this week. The view from the top of the South Downs in the morning is fabulous. Sadly the only camera I have to hand is one on my phone, a Nokia E71. It's so depressingly poop that I have long given up taking anything but utilitarian pictures.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Headhuunter
    Alphabet wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

Oh I see. Good write up. You need to take it to the next level. Enough of this Haribo/pick n mix/pub stops, come out with Dulwich Paragon sometime - they pass through Elmers End every Sat on the morning club ride, that seems to be near you. Also GS Avanti do 120 miler to Rye on the coast and back. The 120 miles starts from near Chelsfield station however so there's a bit of a ride to get to the start. It's a great one though, you and your puncture repair kit with a couple of bananas, couple of nrg bars and some nrg drink and the peloton and then pretty much non stop to Rye and back (cafe break in Rye itself).

Have been tempted to join Dulwich Paragon actually as they do indeed go practically past my house (South Eden Park Road). my only worry is that my road bike is a fixie, so i'd inevitably get dropped on the hills - seem to be quite a few slow ones at the back from my observations though :)

As for Rye and back, my folks live in Orpington, so they could be a good start point for me...

I think the main issue is that i cycle for fun, definitely not for fitness. I enjoyed the pubbing and stuff on the DD - they're what made it fun and memorable. Plus every other ride seems to start far too early in the morning :)

The Sat morn DP ride is only about 35 miles and splits into 3 - slow, medium and fast and everyone ends up at the Cafe St Germain in Crystal Palace for brunch and/or coffee. It's very sociable, you get to meet loads of people. They guarantee never to leave anyone behind. The route has a couple of hills on it but it's not that challenging although I can't remember ever seeing anyone on a fixie - you need to get yourself another/proper bike!

GS Avanti are a much smaller club and very welcoming, you wouldn't want to do the Rye ride on a fixie, they average 19-20mph on the ride, certainly on the way out and perhaps 18-19 on the way back. They're friendly though and there's a bit of banter at the cafe in Rye...

Both these rides are fun although the 120 miler tends to destroy you a little bit

Get a road bike! Road bike! Road bike! Lycra, lycra, lycra!
  • Alphabet

It is a road bike. it just has one gear and no freewheel :? 20 mph doesn't sound too bad and 35 miles on a saturday morning sounds like fun. maybe it's time i showed your geared lot how it's done :wink:
  • Headhuunter
    Alphabet wrote:

It is a road bike. it just has one gear and no freewheel :? 20 mph doesn't sound too bad and 35 miles on a saturday morning sounds like fun. maybe it's time i showed your geared lot how it's done :wink:

The fast group on Sat mornings averages 17-18mph. If you can manage 19-20mph over 120 miles then you definitely should be getting involved! That's a pretty decent race pace...
  • Alphabet
    we get beer stops though, right? :lol:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    A cheeky working-from-home lunchtime ride. Taken last week, possibly the last time I'll wear shorts until Spring !
    5102249284_e5caa83084.jpg
    Misguided Idealist
  • Headhuunter
    Alphabet wrote:

Nope. Beer makes you weaker. I drink only vegetable juice laced with spirulina. My body is a temple. It suffered a bit of a ravaging by alcohol and fatty food on the work away day and was left in ruins for a while but has been successfully rebuilt.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet wrote:

Nope. Beer makes you weaker. I drink only vegetable juice laced with spirulina. My body is a temple. It suffered a bit of a ravaging by alcohol and fatty food on the work away day and was left in ruins for a while but has been successfully rebuilt.

this is exactly the kind of thing that worries me. i think cycling should be about zooming along, drinking lashings of beer and eating massive amounts of pie. i don't think this fits in with the ethos of most cycling clubs.
  • Headhuunter
    Alphabet wrote:
    Alphabet wrote:

this is exactly the kind of thing that worries me. i think cycling should be about zooming along, drinking lashings of beer and eating massive amounts of pie. i don't think this fits in with the ethos of most cycling clubs.

Yep, beer and pies are somewhat frowned upon! However there is a small sub sect of Dulwich Paragon which looks more kindly upon this kind of deviant behaviour... They're often out on the Sat rides, you should give them a go, although they start at 9amish, perhaps a bit early for beer?
  • Alphabet
    9am ish sounds a bit more reasonable (i have 2 young kids so proper lie ins are a distant memory).

and 9am is definitely not too early for a beer. think i'm straying outside the boundaries again...
  • Headhuunter
    Alphabet wrote:
    9am ish sounds a bit more reasonable (i have 2 young kids so proper lie ins are a distant memory).

and 9am is definitely not too early for a beer. think i'm straying outside the boundaries again...

You should pop along one Sat morning to a DP ride then, you may be the only one sucking on a wife beater but there's always a good bit of banter and camaraderie at the cafe afterwards...
  • I've seen people finish the 35 miler on singlespeeds - did it a couple of times on my hybrid altho' have now caved in to peer pressure and converted the bike to drops and an overall faster set-up; the slower groups do take it fairly easy (more so on nice days when there are more newcomers out and about). So now I only get peer pressure over my choice of attire (baggies) :roll: There are a few hills on the route but only one really steep climb, and it's a short one.

Unfortunately the Spinning Wheel pub around the half way mark on the ride is closed at the moment. Hopefully not permanently so :? - anyhow, although the ride starts at the cafe in Crystal Palace, they always stop for a few minutes at the Elmers End roundabout to break up in to slow-med-fast groups, usually there 9:20-9:25.
  • I give you Musselburgh Harbour on my way home the other night...

2010-10-07175151.jpg
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    A cheeky working-from-home lunchtime ride. Taken last week, possibly the last time I'll wear shorts until Spring !
    5102249284_e5caa83084.jpg

Fancy another ridgeway ride before it well, too snowy ..?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Suuure, the Ridgeway's always fun, especially if it involves quality pub stops :-)
    But, it snows properly again this year, I want to do another Crazy Offroad Snow Ride...

in fact, since this threadis somewhat loosely related to scenery and bikes, it's time to resurrect this:

5111752662_7ef1600847.jpg

Now, who ever thought that would be a good idea !
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Suuure, the Ridgeway's always fun, especially if it involves quality pub stops :-)
    But, it snows properly again this year, I want to do another Crazy Offroad Snow Ride...

in fact, since this threadis somewhat loosely related to scenery and bikes, it's time to resurrect this:

5111752662_7ef1600847.jpg

Now, who ever thought that would be a good idea !

I'm up for it - be rude not to :wink: